Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Comp classes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #1

Default Comp classes

I have a question about the competition classes.
First Im new to r/c crawling but I did 1:1 rockcrawling in my Jeep and been in r/c a long while. I read where the sportsman class only allows 2ch radios, I was thinking about getting the LCC which needs 3ch. Should I start out in the sportsman class or is the 2.2 class something I might have a chance in?

Can the LCC be run in the sportsman class with the dig disabled so when I move up I can use it? Or should I just start with a LNC? Don
weasel_ugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can run 3 channel gear in the sportsman class, you just can't used that 3rd channel. You are limited to steering and throttle only. The best thing to do is to pull the servo wire from the RX and physically lock the dig into the 4wd position.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am also very new but driving with a dig is the only way to go but I don't plan on winning in either class. I went ahead for the dig so that I would have more practice in a class that I would like to someday compete in. just my thoughts.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
I am also very new but driving with a dig is the only way to go but I don't plan on winning in either class. I went ahead for the dig so that I would have more practice in a class that I would like to someday compete in. just my thoughts.
Don't sell yourself short my man...anyone can win on any given day and it's not always about gear

If you understand some basic fundamentals of crawling you have as much of a shot as anyone else.

Spend as much time driving as you can; learn and understand how to read lines by paying close attention to how your rig reacts on certain terrain.

Study other drivers and their crawlers during comps to see what works and what doesn't.

Never be afraid to ask another driver what set up he's running, or why he chose a certain line over another...this is by far the friendliest and most tech happy group of RC enthusiasts you could ask for.

Above all, have fun while you drive. If you're freaking out because you caught a gate or your set up isn't quite working that day, just work through it and apply what you learned at the work bench and at your next outing.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Don't sell yourself short my man...anyone can win on any given day and it's not always about gear

If you understand some basic fundamentals of crawling you have as much of a shot as anyone else.

Spend as much time driving as you can; learn and understand how to read lines by paying close attention to how your rig reacts on certain terrain.

Study other drivers and their crawlers during comps to see what works and what doesn't.

Never be afraid to ask another driver what set up he's running, or why he chose a certain line over another...this is by far the friendliest and most tech happy group of RC enthusiasts you could ask for.

Above all, have fun while you drive. If you're freaking out because you caught a gate or your set up isn't quite working that day, just work through it and apply what you learned at the work bench and at your next outing.
X1000

I hate to see new drivers in a rush to get a dig so that they can be "competitive". Now that we've got the Sportsman class, it gives new drivers the opportunity to gain the experience they need without feeling pressured to run out and buy tons of gear so that they aren't left behind.

If you can get good enough to kick ass in Sportsman, when you get dig you'll be a terror in Pro.

To the OP: I'd pull the servo, lock the dig arm so it can't be bumped out of position, and start driving like a mofo. Then, and only then, when you think you're ready to move up a class reinstall the servo. Untill you are ready, don't even consider using it.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-26-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

My opinion is skip sportsman and jump into the 2.2 pro (or whatever your group calls the 2.2 dig class) feet first. You might surprise yourself.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Does your local club allow you to run both classes or do you have to choose one or the other?

Will they let you run the same truck in both classes, but with the dig disabled for sportsman?

If so, that's what I'd do. The more you drive, the better you'll get. The LCC is probably the most capable comp rig to come from a manufacturer (needing fewer mods to be competitive than any other). Get it, and run it and have a blast with it!
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

We don't run sportsman here, just 2.2 pro, and 2.2 amateur. Amateur runs easier lines generally.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i built my tigress crawler with dig and comp'ed in the sportsman class the first year by unpluging my dig server from RX and zip tying the server arm in 4x4....i made 4 comp's out of 9 in a NJ crawling club with two 1st places and two 2nd places and took 2nd in years end points....the year end points i wound up with put me in 15th in 2.2 pro class where everyone in the top 20 made 8/9 comp's if i ran in 2.2....every GTG we had i never placed out of the top five using my dig....this year we are running 10 comp's and like last year we are dropping the two highest scores, but most likely i'm gonna missed two comp's anyway....so my story is even a newbie like i was when i started this time last year can do good, even with a home made first time brazin tuber i made with the tigress....anyone can go the route i took and stomp butt....i trashed talked in threads before the first comp i went to and was labeled "the trash talking newb" when i got there....but then i was accepted with great sportsmanship when i won the first two comp's being that trash talking newbie ....morel of my story is dont quit cause your new to the sport and not doing good, everyone was a newbie when the crawling sport started two years ago or so....heck when i started the axial scorpion was just out on the market as the first real crawler made R/C rig....anyone who missed my three tigress build thread's with all the details can look up my stats up and find them and any question's can be pm'ed to me ....sorry for the long post but i had a blast last year and looking to a even better time this year beating the MOA rigs with my home built 8 pound tuber .................bob

Last edited by bob1961; 03-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
We don't run sportsman here, just 2.2 pro, and 2.2 amateur. Amateur runs easier lines generally.
I think your amateur is probably our sportsman. Don
weasel_ugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel_ugs View Post
I think your amateur is probably our sportsman. Don
Not exactly. We run the amateur following the USRCCA rules for the normal comp class. The amateur class just has a couple easier gate options, a longer time for the course (7 minutes vs 5 minutes for pro class), and the amateur class has the 20 point carry rule for each gate where our pro class does not. The amateur class winner does not qualify for a Nationals spot.

Instead of running a no dig Sportsman class, we went this route for 2.2, but we also run 1.9 and Super. While many of us really liked the idea of a Sportsman class, it would just make the events too long as well as add too many classes to try to also run sportsman.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote