Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help with an understanding of .........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default help with an understanding of .........

ok so ive searched , and searched and even used that funny buton up top there called search , may be im wording my searchs wrong or just not soaking in the info corectly, so here are the questions i would kindly need help understaning. (im trying to finsh my first crawler 2.2 moa bully , parts i have now are 1xbrxl, 2xrockstare, and i curently have a dx3e,
1. what is the differance between all theses dig units , m2 , punk, ect...reliabelty, acsesabilty, one stronger then the other , does moe then the other?
2. so you ethier run a dig unit or dual esc, whats the main diferance? all around price, dual esc just to complicated for some people to hook up , or are they more dependabel?

iam trying to build a rig that is comp worthy, i know the rig will change in time as i grow as a driver. thanx for any help,
hardknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

This isn't a newbi question actually, don't think I've actually seen an explanation. I'm just taking a guess but I think having a double esc setup helps fight clods stall while using a punk or something and one esc is more pro e to getting it.
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: help with an understanding of .........

hey thanx for the reply. I felt the info i was looking for was comon knowlege and im the village idiotwho just dont get it. dual esc just to get rid of clod stall?got to be some then more ?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

thread sugestions ? right wording for the search button? anything got to be some one out there , need to know what to spend my money on and want to get the wrong thing? did i realy post this in the wrong thread ?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Not a Noob question. I asked a few of these myself. Ya some are a little difficult to find. One if mine was titled dual esc vs single esc and I posted it in the xr thread. Some digs are made for different setups. some can operateon a two channel radio a whole other setups like dual escs need a four channel setup, mainly when running dual escs. Individuals run the dual esc setups for more front and rear motor control when in those sticky situations where you need those rear our front wheels too turn and help a little more than just completely locking up like on a single esc dig setup.however with this comes needs for certain radios, less setup space on rig and let's not forget the cost. Some people swear by running the dual setup however you also have the guys that love the single setup with a punk dig. I am quite new my self however do more research than the average Joe. I can tell you I don't see much difference with the single vs the dual if you know your rig and angles. If your new I recommend going single and learning there first either way you have as learning curve in front of you.hope this helps a bit.

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

hey thanxs lostinkorea that was well understood response. ya i think i need to start with a singel and go from there thanx again for the info. gona look into the novak m2 after talking to fellow crawler in my area.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ive read nothing but bad reviews about the m2. i had a rc4wd rocker II dig that worked great with my dx3e. i sold all that and am in the middle of setting up 2 brxls and a 4pl. i think the dual escs are better in the fact that you can change the proportion the speed from front to back without changing the pinion and i think the rear motor locks up better in dig then a electrionic dig unit. also ive read that 2 motors are hard on escs but who knows. if i were you id get the rocker II dig and run it with your brxl. should work great. easy as hell to set it up too. or you can do dual escs on your dx3e with this Dual Esc Adapter-Dig, mixing, biasing, for MOST 3CH RADIOS. i also saw that heyok sells a 3 position dig switch and i think he makes them. i just bought a no drift winch controler from him and it is high quaility.
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Heyok is top notch to deal with. I'm running with dx3r and punk dig, single Tekin fxr and 2 40t gg torquemasters my xr sticks like Superglue. And has amazing torque control. Love it.

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

here it is basically. the M2 is a novak esc. it has built in dig and can do porportional dig also. alot of people have problems with it and i just don't think novak has the best equipment. carrying on.

the punk dig and other electronic dig units use one esc that is wired to the dig unit. from there your motors are wired to the dig unit also. what this gives you is 4wd, fwd, rwd. this is with a 3 position switch on your radio. if your radio has a 2 position switch you can get dig controllers from places like HEYOK here on the forum to allow these options. these units work good, are easy to use and set up. the only problem is that while in 4wd the front and rear axles will run at the same speed unless you get clod stall (you can search for that!).

dual esc's allow the same as above, PLUS you can run the esc's seperately. what that means is you can get the front motor to run at say 100%, and you can dial the rear motor down and run at say 50%. this helps on climbs as the front will pull harder and the rear won't try to push under the truck and flip you over backwards. the adjustments are alot more available, and if you have the right radio system are pretty easy to use.

this is very basic explaination and you can get alot more in depth with it, but this is it in a nutshell.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Running one ESC and a punk dig is simple to set-up and requires 3 channels to run, you do need a 3 position switch on the 3rd channel for front and rear dig. Running dual ESCs can also be done on 3 channels with a 4PK but may need 4 channels with other radios. The easiest way in my opinion is to use a Punk Dig switch (or other dig switch but NOT the M2 dig ESC) and a 3 channel radio with a 3 position switch on the 3rd channel. It's easy to wire up and does everything a new crawler needs to do. I've been crawling for over 4 years and still use a Punk Dig switch. I tried dual ESCs but barely used the extra options at all, I actually found them more confusing than helpful. The benefit to running dual ESCs is you can dial down either motor to help on some climbs, like say turning the rear down to 50% so it still helps on a climb but doesn't flip the truck over.

Overall, I think a dig switch is best for MOA beginners. Running dual ESCs is confusing to say the least and has got me in more trouble than it's helped me. Don't try to do too much too soon, simple is good.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ok thanx for the input it was all verey helpfull. after a little more searching and reading up i now think im gona use the punk dig , one question though i am useing the dx3e will that work with the punk dig? i know everone keep saying 3 chanell 3 switch mix this that and the other , not shure what mine is consederd ? any hints on were to read up on the wireing of this and were the bec goes ? thanx guys
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

It will work just fine. Plug it into channel 3. Select the 3 position option for the 3rd channel up on the top of the remote. Look at the definitive wiring thread about your bec. I hook mine straight to the servo taking strain of the rx.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

thats good to hear wasnt looking forword to cash on a new raido system. so is punk rc .com the only place you can realy get there dig from? any word on how fast they are?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I would NOT suggest a PunkDig....I've read a number of poor reviews recently. Maybe it's better now, not sure.

When I first got my 2.2 Bully, it had a single ESC with a servo dig.
It worked.

Later, I bought a 2nd ESC (old style Mamba Max) and a LosiKid WantAmix to use on my Futaba 3PM-x (3 channel radio....2.4ghz).

HUGE difference!! You need to decide on your path, not all radios can deal with a WantAmix or the unit HeyOK sells.

Read before buying.

(PS, I also have a M2 dig unit......not sure if it's a ESC or radio issue....not a recommended unit in my eyes yet...)
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

ok well thanx for everyones for shareing your opinos and experances with the differant digs. it almost sound like the argument of who is beter CHEVY ford gmc, hahaha. So like a chevy if you got the money to spend do it right the first time and get yourself a dual esc set up,then theres ford the working mans set up gives you a happy medium like the punk dig it will get there and back but thats it, them you Gmc the m2 take your chances some good some bad still a work in proress. so Crawling and rc being new to me I have a huge learing curve to catch up on, I am going with the punk dig to start with and see were it goes from there. money alil tight to go straight to the dual esc, unlike alot of people here I still have to find a budget worthy charger and figer out all these 2c 3c 5ooo milamps thing about batterys need and wich one how many do i need and what bthe hell is the diferance between comp baterys and pratice ones? but thanx again for giveing me evryones input it has helpd a lot.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Chevy and GMC trucks are pretty much the same, just little cosmetic differences between the two.

Back on topic, if you're going to go dual ESCs eventually you might want to do it right away. For the cost of a Punk dig switch it's not much more to buy a second ESC (Punk dig switch new is $70, Tekin FXR new is $100). I only suggest the dig switch because in my experience it's easier and can do almost everything I need. Make the decision on what you want in the end and buy it right away, you'll save money in the long run.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I'd save up alittle and do it right with a wantamix and dual escs. All good things take time.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

ok so punk dig on the way,
adversecity " Punk dig switch it's not much more to buy a second ESC (Punk dig switch new is $70, Tekin FXR new is $100)" i hear you on that but then i need to spend 200 on a raido to work with it, and i still need to get charger and baterys .thanx for the advice though. ok so people keep trying to tell me what are the right baterys to for pratice and for comps if any one can escuse my ignorance for i am still wet behind the ears , and just send me a simpel link to for each one were i can click link then click order would be great im realy a hands on only type of guy, i know its kinda of asking a lot , but its worth asking for the help in my book all you can say is no . thanxs
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I assume you mean lipo batteries, I'd suggest running a 3 cell (11.1 volt) This is the perfect place for you to order from, high quality batteries at decent prices.
CheapBatteryPacks - Product Crawler Lipos

For comp running check the sizes (listed on the site above) and get the biggest one that fits nicely on your front axle or low in the chassis, here's a thread for some ideas on Bully battery mounts if you don't already have a spot for them.
Battery mount on the front gear box?

For practice I suggest using the same batteries, just buy multiples. I'd rather get used to the weight as I'm going to comp than practice with heavier batteries, consistency is the key to crawling well. I personally use Hyperion 3 cell 900 mAh and Thunder Power 3 cell 860 mAh batteries.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

thank you for your help I am greatfull,

help with an understanding of ......... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding VP hubs! cagedcbr Tires and Wheels 2 02-13-2011 11:02 PM
===Understanding C ratings=== Chris_The_Battery_Man Electronics 12 10-31-2010 03:59 PM
Help with understanding KV on brushless DANALLY Electronics 4 06-20-2010 08:17 AM
Help understanding ctoms Comments, Suggestions, and Help 16 09-26-2008 09:53 AM
understanding batteries Bknight Newbie General 2 05-21-2006 11:38 PM