Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Modern Vaterrra twin hammers equivalent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Default Modern Vaterrra twin hammers equivalent?

So I retired a couple years ago, full time retired.

The last time I dealt with RC cars (not toys) I was using FM radios and the last one I had was the "midnight pumpkin" on a 2wd chassis. Sadly, that disappeared a long time ago in a messy divorce situation.

My yard is just shy of two acres and most of it is Nova Scotia woodland (backs on to a river too), so lots of room/terrain to play with an RC truck or build some climbing obstacles. Here's an idea of what the lot is like:

After looking around, it seems like the Vaterra twin Hammers/WLtoys 10428 is just about the right combination of features for what I want to do with it.

Of course, neither are available new now and every place I look says "discontinued".

I'm not looking to go any smaller than 1/10 scale. 1/12 is just a touch small for my old eyes at a distance and 1/8 scale seems pretty massive for just a little plonking around the back lot.

I'd also like to keep costs somewhere around 300 CAD for a RTR rig.

So are there any rigs which are a modern equivalent of the TH/WLT rigs?

Last edited by NoBrand; 08-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.
NoBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Modern Vaterrra twin hammers equivalent?

Just so we have a bit more info what specifically draws you to the Twin hammers?

Is it the looks, the suspension (IFS front trailing arm rear)? If its something else let us know.

Is it for crawling or trailing use?

If its the suspension you like I'd look at the Gatekeeper and adding the IFS kit ($99)

If its the looks there are a number of Caged rigs out there, Axial Capra, Gmade Gom, Axial Wraith 1.9 and 2.2 and Axial Bomber. I'm sure I left something out.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The losi Baja ray ticks all the boxes except price. It's a bit above that but it's pretty damned tough unlike the turd hammer that would fail constantly.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Just so we have a bit more info what specifically draws you to the Twin hammers?

Is it the looks, the suspension (IFS front trailing arm rear)? If its something else let us know.

Is it for crawling or trailing use?

If its the suspension you like I'd look at the Gatekeeper and adding the IFS kit ($99)

If its the looks there are a number of Caged rigs out there, Axial Capra, Gmade Gom, Axial Wraith 1.9 and 2.2 and Axial Bomber. I'm sure I left something out.

I guess it's the combination of features. the suspension seems half decent for climbing obstacles, the two gear transmission seems like a good compromise between going fast sometimes and crawling other times. Ground clearance seems ok, articulation with rear live axle seems good. They've also been customized by many people, so a new project for it isn't much more than a google away.

I've also got a metal lathe, mill and TIG out in the garage, so making parts is a snap for me. Metal work/machining is another of my hobbies....
Old 08-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Losi Rock Rey is probably the closest thing to it. It's above your proposed budget, and it's bigger than a TH. If you gear it down it can quasi-crawl (the 6" tall tires and locked rear diff help) and it handles better at speed than a TH. You can lock the center and front diffs on it too (ironically using TH parts) and a sensored brushless motor and it'll crawl quite a bit better, but I'd never call it a crawler and the locked front diff (if you chose to add it) would make it handle poorly at speed.

Another suggestion that may be too far outside your wants (size and price) would be a Traxxas Summit. They have selectable lockers so it can crawl better than it should, and it handles speed much like an old emaxx (which is to say, better than any crawler... it's really just a monster truck with lockers.)
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Losi Rock Rey is probably the closest thing to it. It's above your proposed budget, and it's bigger than a TH. If you gear it down it can quasi-crawl (the 6" tall tires and locked rear diff help) and it handles better at speed than a TH. You can lock the center and front diffs on it too (ironically using TH parts) and a sensored brushless motor and it'll crawl quite a bit better, but I'd never call it a crawler and the locked front diff (if you chose to add it) would make it handle poorly at speed.

Another suggestion that may be too far outside your wants (size and price) would be a Traxxas Summit. They have selectable lockers so it can crawl better than it should, and it handles speed much like an old emaxx (which is to say, better than any crawler... it's really just a monster truck with lockers.)
The traxxis looks neat, especially with the telemetry features.

But it would cost me close to a cool G to get it here, more than 3 times my (desired) budget, and that's something the wife will not sign off on....and I'd have to agree with her on that one. That's just too much to spend on a "pass time". That type of money I'd be spending on our Corvette, Mini or mustang, not an RC.

I've got a soft spot for the redcat Scout II, but that's based purely on looks. I used to have a 1978 Scout II and have fond memories of it.....

Last edited by NoBrand; 08-26-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrand View Post

I've got a soft spot for the redcat Scout II, but that's based purely on looks. I used to have a 1978 Scout II and have fond memories of it.....
Based on the above quote alone, I'd go with the Redcat then. All the performance and doodads in the world will never outweigh getting what the heart wants... it is a pretty solid car with decent aftermarket to boot, so you wouldn't be kicking yourself for buying a lemon or anything like that.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

the gen8 is a fun rig it dosent require much as far as upgrades but since you have skills why not do a scratch build and realy do it up you might break your budget depending on how many parts you can make but you can spread it out over some time
the gen8 body is on sale on redcats website for cheap maybe score the gen8 body and buy a builders kit axial or element or traxass
the builders kits are vary resonable and the idea is you spend your money on what you want not on what they already picked for you
that sead my gen8 is my go to rig but it did take some tinkering to get it to work right

before you know it your hooked and you are gona start machining your own axles and transmissions and accesory parts

Last edited by ferp420; 08-26-2021 at 09:45 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the gen8 is a fun rig it dosent require much as far as upgrades but since you have skills why not do a scratch build and realy do it up you might break your budget depending on how many parts you can make but you can spread it out over some time
the gen8 body is on sale on redcats website for cheap maybe score the gen8 body and buy a builders kit axial or element or traxass
the builders kits are vary resonable and the idea is you spend your money on what you want not on what they already picked for you
that sead my gen8 is my go to rig but it did take some tinkering to get it to work right

before you know it your hooked and you are gona start machining your own axles and transmissions and accesory parts

Funny you should suggest that, I think that's what I've decided to do.

I did find a WLT 10428 online, but I don't think that's going to work out as it's been two days and absolutely no shipping information. Used paypal, so getting my cash back won't be a problem if it doesn't show up.

I've downloaded a complete .stl file for an SCX10 chassis and just ordered a couple metal scx10 axles. Most of it I'll probably pattern after the SCX chassis/equipment.

I'm going to get the stuff printed out in ABS (I have a Creality CR10 ver 2) and then have a look at what parts I will need next.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I'll probably start a "build thread" on it at some point....

Last edited by NoBrand; 08-27-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrand View Post
Funny you should suggest that, I think that's what I've decided to do.

I did find a WLT 10428 online, but I don't think that's going to work out as it's been two days and absolutely no shipping information. Used paypal, so getting my cash back won't be a problem if it doesn't show up.

I've downloaded a complete .stl file for an SCX10 chassis and just ordered a couple metal scx10 axles. Most of it I'll probably pattern after the SCX chassis/equipment.

I'm going to get the stuff printed out in ABS (I have a Creality CR10 ver 2) and then have a look at what parts I will need next.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I'll probably start a "build thread" on it at some point....
i dont know what your planning to do but in my opinion if your gona make your own chassie take a look at what other companys are doing the scx10 chassie puts the skid plate alot higher than other brands such as traxxass and vanquish

the traxass frame rails are cheap if you dont want to make them
they lower the skid and makes the rig more stable cause it lowers the trans and motor alot more for a better center of gravity
also gives you better drive line angles so you can run bigger tires
of course you could design your own any way you want

but if you prefer tiny tires under 4.5" stick to the scx10 frame rails
just my opinion
looking forward to your build thread theres never enuff scratch build threads

heres a link to the traxxass frame for referance
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-TRX...-127632-2357-0

take off axial rails https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-SCX10...-127632-2357-0

and then there are aftermarket flat rail chassies that you can eazily make your self and seem to be the choice for competitive crawlers
just for referance
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Scx10...-127632-2357-0

Last edited by ferp420; 08-28-2021 at 10:16 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Modern Vaterrra twin hammers equivalent? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Twin Hammers King of the Hammers build questions Genghis Ken Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 03-08-2018 03:51 PM
Twin Hammers cage on SCX chassis bouncer conversion aka Bounce Hammers! mce076 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 07-25-2015 02:16 AM