Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking to make a roll cage.Flux question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #1

Default Looking to make a roll cage.rod question.help

So Ive done my research and I have the right torches and I have the brake line all I need is the brazing rod itself.I have seen people use the rod dipped in flux.I found this at lowes (Lincoln Electric 1/8" Flux Coated Brazing Rod) would I still need flux?Should I stay away from flux coated rods?Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by crazie311; 04-09-2010 at 01:24 PM.
crazie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can use the rod that comes with flux. Personally I don't like it and there seems to be a bit of a trick to it. I use Harris safty-silv rod and Harris stay-silv white flux. Works great. It has a lower melting temp and flows like butter. Heres a link if you havent already read it:
http://www.rccrawler.com/tuber.htm
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

With my limited experience, I learned to clean up the joints real good and then add a bit of flux paste to them. Using bare or coated rods. Might be overkill but I didn't have a teacher. So i thought the cleaner the better.
I had good luck with using flux coated rods, smallest diameter I could find. And I also had good luck with small diameter bare bronze rods, just have to clean up the joint a little better than using the flux coated rods. I prefer the bare small diameter rods. Easier to work with and heat up faster. Plus, I didn't want to break the bank with the costly safety silv stuff.
You will learn the key to brazing is in the correct flame. Once you figure that out, you'll knock out some work fast.

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-07-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything but Harris safty-silv. Once you use that, you'll never braze with anything else.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything but Harris safty-silv. Once you use that, you'll never braze with anything else.

I agree 100%

I started with the brazing rods because I couldn't find Harris, but when I did finally track some silver solder down it was amazing. It flows better and is alot easier to work with.
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawln Coles View Post
I agree 100%

I started with the brazing rods because I couldn't find Harris, but when I did finally track some silver solder down it was amazing. It flows better and is alot easier to work with.
Same here. Wanted to get my supplies locally so tried the coated rod - hated brazing, ponied up for the harris and havent looked back.
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

I bought some stuff last night that I thought would work,Turns out its electrodes for a welder.lol shit wouldnt melt or bend.So im off to northern or harbor freight to look for brazing rod.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #8

Default soo

Ok so i have brazine rod but i cant seem to get it to melt..Question is what holds the to peice of brake line together?I thought that the bronze would melt and run over the brake line and harden creating the "weld"...I cant get my bronze to melt..I get it red and it still wont melt..BUT the brake line was kinda staying togeter with clear stuff(flux i guess).help
Old 04-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #9

ima try the oxy and gas mix and see if that works..mapp isnt hot enough.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Mt atempt did not turn out well. may just go with a lexan body and call it done.
rockunlimited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie311 View Post
ima try the oxy and gas mix and see if that works..mapp isnt hot enough.
This is why everyone above you with any experience recommended the safety-silv products. The brass rods are meant to be used with an oxy-acetylene torch. I've seen people use the smaller brass rods with colder torches, but its a PITA. Just buy the safety-silv and stay-silv flux, and it will work beautifully with just about any torch setup.
Sephis is offline   Reply With Quote