Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing up to order my rig, but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #1

Default Gearing up to order my rig, but ...

I'm ordering the Axial SCX10 TR RTR and a 7.4v 8800mAh Li-Ion battery pack/charger to go with it. I'd like to run it the day it shows up on my doorstep. I'm just wondering, do I need to order some tools (Axial hex drivers, etc.) right now or can it wait for a couple weeks? Will I need any hex drivers to install the battery?

Thanks!
Sine Deviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

umm do you mean lipo or are u actually running li-ion? thats a new one....

either way, with a frew standard size screw drivers, and the little hex tool that comes with the axial u will be good to go, nice tools make it nicers to work on.. the RTR literlly means ready to run with axial, add you batterys and drive.

if you did mistake lipo foir li-ion your stock esc wont have a LVC, you will need to order one or u risk destroying your nice new lipo batteries
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
umm do you mean lipo or are u actually running li-ion? thats a new one....

either way, with a frew standard size screw drivers, and the little hex tool that comes with the axial u will be good to go, nice tools make it nicers to work on.. the RTR literlly means ready to run with axial, add you batterys and drive.

if you did mistake lipo foir li-ion your stock esc wont have a LVC, you will need to order one or u risk destroying your nice new lipo batteries
Thanks. And I am using Li-Ion The pack I'm getting has eight 18650's. You can check it out here:

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

EDIT: Scratch that. After checking out prices/capacities I think I might go LiPo after all. What is an LVC and where can I get one?

Last edited by Sine Deviance; 04-08-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

LVC is - low voltage cut off. most good esc have them built in, tekin, mamba, holmeshobbies to name some of the few..

lipo cells should never been run down below 3 volts per cell. if you do the battery is basically garbage,

novak makes one, http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html

but for what its worth, to get the best outta ur $ i would buy a new ESC, somthing programable, sure it costs a little more, but down the road your goin to want to run abetter motor and higher voltage and probably end up spending the $ any way

looked at that battery u posted the link to, sure its small with a huge MAH rateing but the output is onbly 8.8 amps, now where close to being able to run a crawler
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #5

Ahh, okay, so that's what LVC is. How high of a discharge would I need to run a SCX10 TR with the stock 27T motor, you think? How bout this one then? 18A discharge, and it has an internal PCB (so no need for an LVC chip.)

http://www.all-battery.com/74volt-10...hpcb31171.aspx

If that one isn't any good I also found this one. It has a much higher discharge but it also has a much lower mAh rating so I'd have to buy two and wire them in parallel to get the battery life I'm looking for. It doesn't have the internal cutoff PCB, either. I guess I could always use that Novak LVC with them:

http://www.all-battery.com/74volt-52...tterypack.aspx

If you're wondering why I want such a ridiculously high mAh rating, well, it's because I'm trying to get run times between 2-6 hours. I had a 1:8 RC monster truck when I was younger that would only go for about 20 minutes on a full charge and the short battery life drove me insane.

Last edited by Sine Deviance; 04-09-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

if you went up to a 35 turn motor and put a 12 or 13 tooth pinion on it and had a light trigger finger a 2s 1100 bat will last a significant amount of time. if you wanted you could get three identical batteries: 1 charging, 1 in the truck running, and 1 on standby. an scx10 is much lighter and is geared much lower than a 8th scale m/t which are heavy and are geared quite high. Not to mention R/C battery tech has evolved quite quickly from the old Ni-Cads that everyone used to use
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Venom makes a 2s 8000 mah lipo that works pretty well. I would change the ecs if your gonna use lipo, why spend 15$ for something that comes with an ecs that allows you to change all sorts of settings.
Tortuga275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If your looking for run time you've gotta go lipo.
In my SCX-10(kit version, not RTR) I run a Novak 2S Goat with the 18.5 that has the LVC built in and I run a 2S 20C 5000 mAh Zippy lipo.
I've gotten 2 1/2 hrs. of run time and never did hit LVC. Everything stayed cool and after when I balance charged the lipo it only took in around 2800 mAh. the cells were showing 3.8 before charge.
To get a high mAh rate in a NiMh your looking at a 7 cell pack thats a lot heavier and a lot larger than a 2S lipo, plus they dont last as long.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambill View Post
To get a high mAh rate in a NiMh your looking at a 7 cell pack.
Not true. Since stick packs are all wired in series, the mah will be the same no matter if its a 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 cell pack (if you use the same cells). You will, however, increase the voltage when you increase the cell count.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga275 View Post
Venom makes a 2s 8000 mah lipo that works pretty well. I would change the ecs if your gonna use lipo, why spend 15$ for something that comes with an ecs that allows you to change all sorts of settings.
Because I'm already getting an ESC and a 27t motor with the RTR rig I'm buying, and I don't want to spend yet another $200 on another ESC/motor. I would consider a ARTR rig but they don't make the SCX10 TR in ARTR, only RTR. This is my first high-end RC and I want to run what it comes with for a while until I get it all figured out. I'll check out that Venom battery though, thanks!

Quote:
If your looking for run time you've gotta go lipo.
Cool, so LiPo it is. Thanks.

Quote:
In my SCX-10(kit version, not RTR) I run a Novak 2S Goat with the 18.5 that has the LVC built in and I run a 2S 20C 5000 mAh Zippy lipo.
I've gotten 2 1/2 hrs. of run time and never did hit LVC. Everything stayed cool and after when I balance charged the lipo it only took in around 2800 mAh. the cells were showing 3.8 before charge.
To get a high mAh rate in a NiMh your looking at a 7 cell pack thats a lot heavier and a lot larger than a 2S lipo, plus they dont last as long.
Yeah, I just looked up the Goat ESC and $104.99 is way more than I want to spend for non-needed extras up front. I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

EDIT: Okay, I know what I'm gonna go with.

Novak 2-cell LVC: http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html
Venom 2-cell 20C 8000mAh LiPo: http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15010
Venom LiPo balance charger: http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=0653

With that stuff and the cost of the rig from RPP I'll be out the door for about $420+tax/ship, which is exactly what I'm looking for in my budget. Thanks for all the advice. I will consider upgrading the ESC and etc. later on but for now it's just not a priority and the extra cost isn't reasonable for what I want to do with the truck. If I ever get serious I think I'll go brushless anyways.

Last edited by Sine Deviance; 04-09-2010 at 03:27 PM.