Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR and 3s Lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tekin FXR and 3s Lipo

Do I have to run a BEC with the Tekin FXR and a 3s Lipo? What potential problems could I encounter if I do not?

EDIT: Ok, I've stumbled upon this thread, but what exactly is the reason to "having" to run the BEC with the 3c Lipo?

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/221858-tekin-fxr-3s-lipo-traxxas-27mhz-receiver.html#post2210778

Last edited by Hordsak; 04-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Hordsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The idea behind running a BEC is to have full voltage at your steering servo and/or other devices without compromising the BEC in the ESC.

The ESC typically has a 3 to 6 amp BEC built in, but can't handle the motor(s), dig, and high torque steering servo's that are in use today.

Using a CC BEC or other BEC to supply the needed voltage and carry the current to the steering servo and not have to rely on the ESC for this helps to reduce what is referred to as glitching or voltage drop-loss.

When this happens, you can loose steering or rx power and everything just seems to lock up.

Hope this helps.

JC
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I moved up to a 3s lipo with the fxr and I had to put the bec on because the esc and receiver were over heating within 2 minutes of run time. Hope this helps and good luck.
Jay2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I do plan on getting a BEC very soon, but I just installed my FXR and ran my rig around for about 30 minutes on a 3s with no problems yet. Now, not to say I won't have any issues, just thought I'd mention. This is with a 3s 3800 25c Apogee LiMN pack, and a 35T Tekin motor and currently using a Hitec 5955.. might go back to a 645 I have laying around.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The little 3amp fxr internal bec heats up pretty quick on 3s with a big servo. There just isn't much heatsink headroom in the tiny fxr and it is pretty easy to burn it up overstressing the bec. Not worth the chance.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It's not a option, you MUST use a bec or you WILL have problems. I just learned this a couple weeks ago in a comp. It's like night and day. What will happen is when you get your wheels in a bind it will feel like your battery is dead.
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yeah you guys are right.. after a few minutes of hard driving, the ESC heats up and weird shit happens. I installed a CC BEC @ 6.0 volts, and all is well now.