Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want to go Crawlin'!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Default Want to go Crawlin'!

Hello all,

I think, I got my mind made up on the chassis or rig im going to use for my crawler. It's most likely going to be Gmade Spider. But I have some noob type questions for you all:

1. What is Dig? I have read that "dig" is basically front or rear wheel drive. But with the word DIG, I would assume it means more than just that. I'm just not sure what?
2. I want to do 4WS (or Rear wheel steering), what is the best transmitter/Receiver combo for this? What are people buying these days? I'm thinking about doing some 4+ channel radio setup.
3. When I go to by motors, what should I buy? Brushed or less? What Wide count should I look for?
4. Do I buy two ESC's to be able to control the power to the front and rear wheels? Do people do this? Or is this a waste of time and money?
5. What are the best servos for the job these days? What are most people doing as far as servo savers or just servo arms? Which ones?
6. The spider does not come with shocks, what are the best options for the job?

Thanks for your time and help,
Nick

If you have some good opinions on these questions please post, this Thread has just turned into a little boys match with Twiztid Metal.

Last edited by nickmind; 04-16-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Sorry guys for not taking the little boys match off line.
nickmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Just my .02 cents, but if I were you, I would go into the forum a little deeper and read the brand specific areas and see what people are running, and maybe you will find that once you get past all the shininess of the G-Made, it may not quite be the rig you need... good luck!
Bad Attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RAM View Post
Just my .02 cents, you will find that once you get past all the shininess of the G-Made, it may not quite be the rig you need... good luck!
I hear you load and clear. But I have read and read all up and down these different forums. What did you have in mind? Or what else should I be looking into? Thanks for your time.

Nick
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmind View Post
I hear you load and clear. But I have read and read all up and down these different forums. What did you have in mind? Or what else should I be looking into? Thanks for your time.

Nick
You should go back and read through things again. Your questions are fairly simple ones, and the answers are easily found if one were to truly read through the forums.

btw: spend some time reading and looking through the Super Class section since you are wanting a larger rig.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

1. What is Dig? I have read that "dig" is basically front or rear wheel drive. But with the word DIG, I would assume it means more than just that. I'm just not sure what?
'DIG' enables you to lock out (disengage), either the front or rear diff, so it will be front or rear wheel drive, this helps to closely navigate around fixed objects ect.

2. I want to do 4WS (or Rear wheel steering), what is the best transmitter/Receiver combo for this? What are people buying these days? I'm thinking about doing some 4+ channel radio setup.
This would be personal a choice issue, some guys like a pistol style and others the stick radios, you could use a 3 channel, or a 4 channel or even more, depending on the type of set-up you are going for, any 'quality' brand name, 2.4GHz spread spectrum radio set would do the job.

3. When I go to by motors, what should I buy? Brushed or less? What Wide count should I look for?
Again, this would depend on what your personal choice is, brushed motors will handle being submerged in water and mud better than brushless, there are combo's (matched motor and ESC) specificaly made for crawling in both varieties, lots of different choices.

4. Do I buy two ESC's to be able to control the power to the front and rear wheels? Do people do this? Or is this a waste of time and money?
If your'e looking at going with MOA (motor on axle) you could do two ESC's, but there are single units that can control two motor set-ups, with an electronic DIG feature.

5. What are the best servos for the job these days? What are most people doing as far as servo savers or just servo arms? Which ones?
There are a number of good quality, high torque, metal gear, digital (even brushless) servo's on the market, Hitec, JR, futaba and more.

6. The spider does not come with shocks, what are the best options for the job?
T/E-Maxx style shocks or 1/8 GP buggy front shocks seem to be the favourite for this model, this may not be the case if you are running full droop or some other type of shock set-up.

IMHO, setting up a top class RC crawling rig, is very much a personal thing, people are so different in their driving, skills, styles/habits, what will work great for one guy, may be a total disaster for another, it is not a "one size fits all" kind of thing. Patience, research, experience and trial by error are all important factors.

Last edited by caymin last; 04-14-2010 at 03:59 PM.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #6

Sorry guys, this is part of my problem. Not knowing what the buzz words are. I do thank caymin last for offering some help. Everyone else on this forum are to quick to offer completely nothing. I have read from different links of threads. Only to come up with more questions.

I don't know what to look for! I have read through the Super Class section, to find out, most rigs in there are complete customs. Since I'm starting with nothing at all. That's why the Spider seem to fit my needs (which is everything at this point). But then someone tells me its shiny and to read on. But for what? What am I looknig for? I have no idea. That is the reason I have asked these question. To get some buzz words, understand what to look for, or to Look at.

I know how it is, I can build a HPI savage in my sleep without hpi parts. But that is because the savage is a very standard type model. These crawlers are nothing like that. Nothing at all. Axial's model fits that savage standard frame of mind. But i want to build something bigger then that.

I know we all have are tastes and flavors we like. But that is what I want to hear. I don't see very many polls here on this forum talking about your fav motor/esc setup, or anything else. Thats why i ask these noob questions.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

IMO you should start with a 2.2
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Sorry guys, this is part of my problem. Not knowing what the buzz words are. I do thank caymin last for offering some help. Everyone else on this forum are to quick to offer completely nothing. I have read from different links of threads. Only to come up with more questions.

I know we all have are tastes and flavors we like. But that is what I want to hear. I don't see very many polls here on this forum talking about your fav motor/esc setup, or anything else. Thats why i ask these noob questions.
Please don't think I was trying to be a jerk, I wasn't. Let me explain...

1. You say you have read through this site yet you don't know the "buzz words". At the top of this section there is a thread stickied (meaning it doesn't move) called the Glossary of Terms. There you will find the definition of the "buzz words" that you are unfamiliar with.

2. Yes, the Super Class is full of custom, one-of-a-kind rigs. While this may not help you find the out-of-the-box crawler you are looking for, it will enlighten you to what type of radio, motors, esc (or esc's, as the case may be), servos, and shocks that you may want to keep in mind for your own rig.

What I offered up was not "nothing", it was direction to the information that you needed. As Caymin Last pointed out in several of his more direct answers, alot of the parts you are asking about are used because of a persons tastes, budget, and need. The best thing that you can do is find an item you are interested in, do a search for it, and read what comes up.

I have been here for two years and still find new things to read and learn. Please don't say you've read it all when its obvious that you haven't.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Please don't think I was trying to be a jerk,

Please don't say you've read it all when its obvious that you haven't.
No, not at all. Its all good. I have read the glos, and please read the term for DIG? And tell me if you were a complete NOOB, that would completely define what DIG is? I don't beleve so.

Trust me. I have searched for all my questions, and did not get great results. e.g. I'm searching for a two motor esc for 1/8? I have yet to get a model number or product name on one.

Jerk time! Not at one point have i said I have read it all! Not even close. I have read a lot, LOT! And now i see why, most threads on this forum are trash reading (threads that are pointless) because I have started two different threads with basic noob questions. And now both are pointless.

I guess thanks for wasting your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
IMO you should start with a 2.2
I didn't see this post. Wow, this was great help.

Last edited by nickmind; 04-14-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: IMO
Old 04-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
No, not at all. Its all good. I have read the glos, and please read the term for DIG? And tell me if you were a complete NOOB, that would completely define what DIG is? I don't beleve so.
Dig A feature of the drivetrain that allows a driver to enguage only the front or rear axle while the other axle is left to freewheel or is locked. When the front axle is being driven, this is "front dig." When the rear axle is driven, it's "rear dig." Dig is used to negotiate tight turns and avoid reverse penalties.

While it doesn't expain the mechanics of a particular or specific unit, it does tell the basic principal of dig. Its called "dig" because when its used, the truck has a tendency to "dig" into the terrain its on as only one axle is being powered while the other is locked. Ever heard the term "dig in your heels"? Kinda the same thing.

Quote:
Trust me. I have searched for all my questions, and did not get great results. e.g. I'm searching for a two motor esc for 1/8? I have yet to get a model number or product name on one.
Do not worry about scale. Nearly everything that works in 1/10 will work in 1/8. Most super class and all 2.2 MOA rigs have dual motors and they all use the same handfull of electronics. Some use dual esc's, some don't. Its up to the builder.

Quote:
Jerk time! Not at one point have i said I have read it all! Not even close. I have read a lot, LOT! And now i see why, most threads on this forum are trash reading (threads that are pointless) because I have started two different threads with basic noob questions. And now both are pointless.

I guess thanks for wasting your time!
Maybe I misread your post when you said "I have read and read all up and down these different forums." Apparently you were refering to one specific subject. If you can't find something you are searching for, its either because you have mis-spelled it or there just isn't any information. If there is no information, thats a very good sign that no one is using that particular part or rig.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
While it doesn't expain the mechanics of a particular or specific unit, it does tell the basic principal of dig. Its called "dig" because when its used, the truck has a tendency to "dig" into the terrain its on as only one axle is being powered while the other is locked. Ever heard the term "dig in your heels"? Kinda the same thing.

Do not worry about scale. Nearly everything that works in 1/10 will work in 1/8. Most super class and all 2.2 MOA rigs have dual motors and they all use the same handfull of electronics. Some use dual esc's, some don't. Its up to the builder.
Wow, thanks now these are answers. BTW, to explain DIG, is to see DIG. Had no idea, read and read. Then i saw a video, BING! I feel like an idiot.

ESC question, looking at Goat 3S (by looking at there site) does this ESC support two brushless motors?

What ESC does support two Brushless motors?

thanks,
Nick
Old 04-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Wow, thanks now these are answers. BTW, to explain DIG, is to see DIG. Had no idea, read and read. Then i saw a video, BING! I feel like an idiot.

ESC question, looking at Goat 3S (by looking at there site) does this ESC support two brushless motors?

What ESC does support two Brushless motors?

thanks,
Nick
To my knowledge there is no esc that will support two brushless motors.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Not sure if you have seen this, XTM X crawler, scroll down for lots of info that might help. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145632.asp

Here is the 'M2 DIG 3S ESC / DUAL TERRA CLAW BRUSH MOTOR COMBO', also might get some relative info.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/m2_combo/index.html

And also these.
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...yxr/index.html

http://www.teamtekin.com/pm_rockcrawling.html

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...6&bestseller=Y

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/Sites...5200E5A3C25B85

Hope these links give you some idea's, lots to read anyway.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #14

Quote:
To my knowledge there is no esc that will support two brushless motors.
So people that run two brushless motors, are running two esc mostly? Thanks for all your help.

Nick
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

New to crawling or RC's in general???

If you starting out, go with a 2.2" class rig. Maybe an AXIAL AX10 or Venom Creeper. Why you ask... so you get the experiance of building a RC Crawler or RC in general... learn to crawl befor you walk. Learning to build a Kit from the ground up helps you determin what is what and how what dose what...dig it...

Some of these questions seem simple, so start out with a Kit, then work your way up.

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 04-15-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post

If you starting out, go with a 2.2" class rig. Maybe an AXIAL AX10 or Venom Creeper. Why you ask... so you get the experiance of building a RC Crawler or RC in general... learn to crawl befor you walk. Learning to build a Kit from the ground up helps you determin what is what and how what dose what...dig it...

Some of these questions seem simple, so start out with a Kit, then work your way up.
I didn't start with a kit or an RTR and I turned out just fine. More or less.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yeah, some can but some cant lol, but if noob's dont get a real feel for the real deal of building then there might be some questions like what size screw or how do i change my tires threads lol j/k

RTR or Kit, In the end your going to disasemble the whole thing anyways. So why not build it from the ground up to get a feel of how it comes apart ?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #18

Quote:

Twiztid, are you new to online forums? Or just to reading in general? Please before you post to any more threads please read them first. Read post #6. You will understand!

Two, if you are going to offer support, make sure it is sound. My first RC was not entry level. Why would my 12th RC be? That is why, I have asked these simple noob questions, so i can get point A to point B the quickest way possible.

In a nutshell please read before posting. No one likes blind firing!

Nick
Old 04-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Post # 6 SAYS NOTHING! says you can put a savage together in your sleep? thats it, ohh and trying to figure out BUZZ words... Look if you dont want somebodys opinion then dont ask a question!

By the Way, NONE of your post on this Thread indicate that you even have an RC in general! Crawling is pretty much the same as any other RC out there besides a Slower Motor. if you were into RC's have had "12" you wouldnt be asking the questions that your asking. and if you wernt new to online forums you would already know to how to use the search function. so read this thread again and see how much insight you gave us reguarding your RC Background.....NOT TOO MUCH!

So sorry if im trying to help you and point you in the right DIRECTION, then here is my offering, Get the new EXCEED 1/8th Scale Crawler. that thing is the best for you! its RTR and its huge... GOOD LUCK NOOB.

Here:
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=2601

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 04-16-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Post # 6 SAYS NOTHING! says you can put a savage together in your sleep? thats it, ohh and trying to figure out BUZZ words... Look if you dont want somebodys opinion then dont ask a question!

By the Way, NONE of your post on this Thread indicate that you even have an RC in general!
Except the part that says I can build a Savage in my sleep? Ya, I forgot that is everyday knowledge for everyone.
Quote:

Crawling is pretty much the same as any other RC out there besides a Slower Motor. if you were into RC's have had "12" you wouldnt be asking the questions that your asking. and if you wernt new to online forums you would already know to how to use the search function. so read this thread again and see how much insight you gave us reguarding your RC Background.....NOT TOO MUCH!

So sorry if im trying to help you and point you in the right DIRECTION, then here is my offering, Get the new EXCEED 1/8th Scale Crawler. that thing is the best for you! its RTR and its huge... GOOD LUCK NOOB.
My god! Are you for real? What Direction is that (wasting time and money path)? I start a thread with "I'm thinking of the spider", just asking some VERY NOOB questions to get me started. Day 1, of this crawler build out for me. Trying to find out what people are buying these days. Maybe, get some product names thrown at me to get started on the searching part. And plus I have been out of RC's for a year now. Thats what I do from time to time.

HOW IS EXCEED 1/8th the best for me? What the F#$% Direction is that? You got it all wrong bud! If you really think that was offering some kind of help, Bless your little heart. Good try!

My 10 yo girl: "He is just mad because you have 11 RC's." Got to love kids! LOL

I will let you have the last word, you know you want it!