Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tamiya cr-01 or axial sxc10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Default tamiya cr-01 or axial sxc10

need some input on pros and cons on the different trucks to start a scale.
been getting mixed on both from shops (they like to hype what the sell). so i came to the people who are out there using these trucks.
thanks for any info

also what is the differance 1.9 , 2.2 scale

thanks again
rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Default Uuuuhhhhmmmm

Well i got the CR01 i like it but there is a lot work to do. the sc10 needs a lot less and there is more upgrades. Also look at the price.
sully50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

Get the SCX10 and don't look back, it is a great crawler out of the box and down the road there are a million different upgrades easily accessible. With he TR all you need is a battery and charger and you can go crawl that day.
If you go with the kit and have to put it together you will already have an understanding of every nut and bolt in your rig and that will help with later upgrade.
Tamiya makes good stuff but when it comes to upgrades most will be custom and I think a bigger pain in the ass to make as capable as the SCX10.
In the end its your money and choice do some research, talk to guys at the LHS or go look into the Tamiya and SCX10 forums on this site and understand what your buying before you get disappointed.
RocketRanger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

thanks for input
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

They are both good trucks. They both have good upgrade support. I lean a bit more towards the cr01 because I'm a Tamiya guy.

Last edited by the Mad Modder; 04-24-2010 at 07:42 AM.
the Mad Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully50 View Post
Well i got the CR01 i like it but there is a lot work to do. the sc10 needs a lot less and there is more upgrades. Also look at the price.
What exactly are the problem areas? "there is a lot of work to do" doesn't really give much description. If you are referring to the poor articulation, simply leaving out the stabilizer bars when you build it will help articulation tremendously.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would get the SCX10 if I were you. I had to make the same choice less than a year ago for my first RC. I am sooooo glad I ended up getting the SCX10. The stock chassis, suspension, and tires are so good right out of the box that mine can get up over most obstacles with ease. Also, IMO, the SCX10 is a more realistic rig than the CR01. With the SCX10, you have much more aftermarket support as far as upgrade parts.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
With the SCX10, you have much more aftermarket support as far as upgrade parts.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...=desc&offset=1
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10options/index.html
Except for universal parts that will fit either truck(such as lighting) Tamiya makes as much if not more upgrades for the cr01 than axial for the scx10. Plus The diff lockers of the cr01 can be put in and removed without having to disassemble the axle. That way you can quickly unlock the diffs for regular bashing to improve steering and re-lock it when you want to go back to the trails.

Last edited by the Mad Modder; 04-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #9

thanks every one for the info. was still unsure so i got both of them.(i know my wife says i am sick)
i sure i will be using this forum ALOT. thanks and look forward for more response down the line
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey Rule I just got an axial but it would still be cool if you posted your opinion of both trucks when you have one.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #11

right of the bat. would have to say minus electronics cr-01 is a better built truck . axial seems very flimsy (have already order many parts for it). For scale apps. i can see the axial being much more easily detailed.
when i change the motor in the axial to match cr-01 i can than give a true oppinion on there abilities. (axial was rtr, cr-01 kit)
Old 05-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #12

so i havnt done anything to the axial yet and it runs great right out of the box.
got all my parts and motor upgrade and will install soon.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Scx10 no contest
gymjunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Mad Modder View Post
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...=desc&offset=1
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10options/index.html
Except for universal parts that will fit either truck(such as lighting) Tamiya makes as much if not more upgrades for the cr01 than axial for the scx10. Plus The diff lockers of the cr01 can be put in and removed without having to disassemble the axle. That way you can quickly unlock the diffs for regular bashing to improve steering and re-lock it when you want to go back to the trails.
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #15

Default Re: tamiya cr-01 or axial sxc10

Updates please, I am in the exact same boat, only difference is i will not get 2 trucks at the same time,
KngTgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

A few years ago I was in the same boat. After much research and browsing on here and speaking to local club members I took their advice and bought an SCX10. Couldn't be happier...later on down the line I bought another one and recycled the parts off the first one to build a KOH rock buggy weighing in at 9lbs rtr weight!

Tamiya's CR-01 has less aftermarket support than Axial's SCX10. The CR-01 tranny is too heavy/complex and sits way too high so you'll be on your lid quite often. Plus the tranny gears to my knowledge cannot be upgraded to steel like Axial's tranny. CR-01 is more of a cross between a twin vertical plate chassis lifted monster truck with comp crawler inspired suspension design throwing it all together with a scale lexan body. Plus the cost to maintain broken parts on a CR-01 will drive you nuts let alone ordering them online with less down time.

Axial's got you covered all the way. Everything on the SCX10 can be reused or resold later on. It even has hex hardware instead of Tamiya's annoying phillips!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

I am after a scale crawler and was deciding between RC4WDs TF2 and Gelande, SCX10 and CR01. I've spent the last hour looking up information and comparing, and thankyou alexchen86! I can now rule out CR01 because you reminded me of hte annoyign Tamiya screws! Sounds like a minor detail, but I'm easily annoyed!
crowdedthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Get the axial scx10 hands down the best performance. It would kill a cr-01 any day. In my opinion it is much better than the trailfinder2 and other rigs from rc4wd. The axial scx10 has much better part support and it is allowed to run in all of the comps if its in spec...Go with the axial scx10 and never look back.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote