Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: rc4wd trailfinder or an axial scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default rc4wd trailfinder or an axial scx10

so im looking to get into rc crawling and decided that i definitely want a scale rig. i have been contemplating a kit vs. RTR. i have built quite a few r/c cars and trucks over the years so i think i am compentent enough to tackle a kit. i have an rc18mt that i plan to gut all the electronics out of and use in whatever i decide to get. i guess ill still need a good servo though as the micro wont cut it. with that....

i was looking over at rc4wd and saw their trailfinder kit. i think it looks pretty good and i really like the leaf sping setup. however, im confused about which trailfinder b/c there seems to be one for 300,400, 500.

my other choice is the scx10. its probably my first choice, but i still really dig that leaf spring setup. is there a kit for the scx10 to swap out to leaf springs?

from all the lurking ive done, it seems that the scx10 is the more popular truck with endless upgrades. if i go with the trailfinder, will i be stuck doing a lot of custom mods? i dont really have access to a lot of equipment outside of hand tools and possibly a welder.

whichever kit you think i should go with, what immediate upgrades should i look to do?

thanks for the help.
atom631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

SCX-10. Cheaper and far more capable. Leaf spring suspensions don't work half as well as coilover suspensions. At least on the RC stuff. You could always put leafs on an SCX-10 down the road. I've seen a few builds with them.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have the same dilemma, I love the scale looks of the Trail Finder, but parts are endless for the SCX10's. Money wise the SCX10 seems cheaper, but what about after the mods you'll have to make.
I messaged a guy from RC4WD and he told me that the Trail Finder truck or the Bruiserupter are the same length as the SCX10 truck kit.
I have seen leaf spring kits for the SCX10's.
Good luck making your choice.
Rampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

yeah it looks like im going to go with a scx10 kit...and i think im going to scratch tearing down my rc18mt and just build this thing over time and get the proper electronics and batteries in it from the get go.

as for immediate upgrades, any suggestions?

also, i was noticing that the kit was only 25-30 cheaper than the RTR. is there any significant differences in the actual chassis/parts? all i could tell was that the kit comes with aluminum links, which looks to be about 50 upgrade. it almost makes sense to get the TR and gut and use the components for another project down the road that wont really require any high-end gear.
atom631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

SCX10 TR

Pros:
-plastic linkages-looks more scale (I actually prefer these for all but the steering linkage because of the look)
-ready to run
-ok servo
-ok motor
-cheaper to start crawling

Cons:
-plastic linkages--flexy and can be imprecise in a tough situation-especially the steering linkag
-no dual rate on transmitter-limits steering throw
-no drag brake on ESC

SCX10 Kit (standard or Honcho verson)

Pros:
-alloy linkages
-paint your own body
-select exactly the electronics you want the first time
-easier to sell down the line
-get to build it right

Cons:
-$$$ will end up costing more to get running
-have to supply and select your own running gear
-you have to paint and detail the body (my least favorite part anyway)
-hard to find in stock
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #6

I went with the SCX10 Honcho kit and felt it was a great way to get into scale RC. There is a kit for the leaf springs its on the rcbros.com website, I think front and rear are $65.00. Try the stock setup first since the coilovers are pretty good.
Valsmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
SCX-10. Cheaper and far more capable. Leaf spring suspensions don't work half as well as coilover suspensions.
If you evere decide to compete, the leaf springs give you a point deduction at most clubs. To off set the reduced function in favor of scale realism.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #8

Default Re: rc4wd trailfinder or an axial scx10

do you have any photos of you scx10? if so post them thanks
scoutcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

I noticed there haven't been too many replies to this thread, or too many suggestions for any of the RC4WD kits for newbie's. Is this because they just aren't a good match for beginners? Or are other crawlers that much better? For appearance, I like the RC4WD, but I would prefer to make the better all around selection the first time, and not have to learn by making mistakes that others have already made.

Thanks in advance for the help.
KBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown View Post
I noticed there haven't been too many replies to this thread, or too many suggestions for any of the RC4WD kits for newbie's. Is this because they just aren't a good match for beginners? Or are other crawlers that much better? For appearance, I like the RC4WD, but I would prefer to make the better all around selection the first time, and not have to learn by making mistakes that others have already made.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Just my $.02

I think there was never a lot of response because it is the just about the same question that gets asked over and over....

"what truck do I buy & what are the first things I should do to it?"

There are endless threads here with the same ask & answer to the same two questions. The same two questions can have endless answers from many members, but it seemingly always boils down to an AXIAL SCX10 & no matter which brand or truck is decided upon the immediate upgrades always depend on wallet depth and intents of use (comps, scale or bashing).

No offense to those that join and ask these same two questions, but with a little searching and reading they will find more answers then they could imagine.

Most of it is simply personal preference... It's kinda like joining a cooking forum and asking people what to make for dinner.
There will always be many healthy choices vs. junk food , but even once the obvious healthy choices are offered up, the decision thereafter can be endless and curbed mostly to personal preferences.

I own just about every brand and make RC out there, but in my opinion to offer a person new to the hobby an answer.... AXIAL seems to be the leader in RC products for the scale crawler scene presently for form, function, availability and upgrade options.
I have little doubt that a box stock SCX10 in the right hands fresh out of the box wouldn't be able to place in the top 3 of most any local hobby get together. They are well designed and very capable and only improve with modifications.

To speak towards your question about RC4WD... I think price and availability is a generating factor for new people to the hobby. Not many LHS carry RC4WD and AXIAL overwhelms most Internet searches albeit google to eBay. Also AXIAL in my opinion although not the most scale or detailed item offered on the market, I personally feel it has the lead in durability.

Overall.... I believe if a person is interested in the hobby and remains involved for any extended period of time..... They will most likely end up with at least one rig from every major brand manufacturer in their stable before long anyhow.

And not long after ... the real sickness will set in... The fever begins and nothing will suffice except for scratch built EVERYTHING !!!

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I got both
An SCX 10 Honcho and a TF2
They are 2 completely different trucks
The Scx 10 would be my 1st pick for your 1st truck by a huge margin
for the simple fact that they can cop an absolute beating and keep going,
even standard they will pretty much go were you point them
there cheaper and the aftermarket upgrades are endless.
In saying that i really like my TF2 because it makes you pick better lines and is far more Scale , the downside is compared to the Axial they are very fragile.

Honcho
Name:  105_1047.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  132.8 KB

TF2
Name:  105_1039.jpg
Views: 9138
Size:  127.3 KB
lunatick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

Thank for the advice. I think I will end up getting the Axial (first?). I like the idea of parts availability.
KBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

If you dont have stuff laying around to add to a klt,id say go rtr. I got the rtr rubicon and took it out for its first trail ride and have to say I was really shocked on how well it did. The esc doesnt have drag brakes out of the box but I already had a castle link on hand which you can program it. I did the free mods like moving the battery to the front,removing the rubber shock bumps off the rods and those two things alone really make it that much better. I did buy that $20 solar servo from hobbypartz and add a bec for some stronger steering,and also add a aluminum steering link,and got a smaller pinion,and really I dont think I will do much else to it,simply because it doesnt need it.
It proved it self on the trail did everything I needed it too and did it well,I was pretty hard on it and it held up fine and if I do break some stuff down the road im sure I'll replace it with aluminum but great truck out of the box IMO.
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

as someone new to RC and crawling I can say axials are pretty nice and take more of a beating then I expected. I got the ridgecrest (was more interested in trail / comp ability then scale... plus it was cheaper and the scale bodies just looked wrong to me). I took it to a comp and when the people were done with the scale comp I followed the courses a few times. truck handled well, better then most of the scale crawlers. ofcourse mine had big 2.2 crawling tires and they had smaller 1.9 scale tires. I also had a much wider wheelbase, so I had a harder time getting thru the gates but it was fun.

after that I bashed it around the campground for about 4 hours. climbing boulders and piles of leaves, trying to ramp up a tree 4 foot in the air because a friend told me it couldn't climb a tree that high. scratching the body to hell trying to flip it back over and making the baby laugh. she even wanted to drive it and went full speed into deck supports and table legs... I swore she was going to break a wheel off. eventually I lost front wheel drive and I was disappointed till I went home and spent an hour taking it apart to find it was just some screws that came loose in the tranny. took me another 3 hours to put it back together cause I was clueless and did it all in the wrong order.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #15

Id go with the SCX10 for performance....but the TF2 if ur into scale.
Dowlo is offline   Reply With Quote