Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Build up of Axial; Kit or piece by piece?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #1

Default Build up of Axial; Kit or piece by piece?

This might seem a bit stupid but I will ask it anyways. I am to get myself an Axial Scorpion. My silly question is that is it better to get the kit version or build one by getting the individual pieces..Reason for doing this is because I would like to build it around the SWX chassis.
So what you guys think of it?
Patrinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
RCC Addict

more than likely you'll end up spending more if you do it piece by piece. i've seen people buy the kits and then sell everything off seperately because they can make money doing that.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Best bet money wise in my humble opinion, is to pick up the ARTR version along with the SWX chassis.

The ARTR already has most of the Axial hop ups that you'd buy seperately anyway.

Kevin at TCS has them both and the SWX is $79.99...haven't seen it lower than that (1 left in stock right now):

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/AX10-Scor...4-p-16938.html

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/search.ph...=search&page=1
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Don't piece it together.....buy the kit, and you will save money before you even get to bag C.

I actually prefer to buy the SCX-10 kit ($224 at RPP). The wheels and shocks are smaller, but I prefer to run my own wheels and better shocks anyway. I feel more confident in selling off the SCX-10 chassis/shocks/tires and wheels then I do about AX-10 kit parts. There are always people looking for an SCX chassis, but not many looking for a stock AX-10.

In your case though, the links from the AX-10 would work with your aftermarket chassis choice, but making links is easy.....and I'm not sure how strong the stock links are anyway.

Just a thought.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 04-29-2010 at 08:41 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

thanks for your replies guys. My only objection on the kit is that essentially the things I am going to keep from it is the axles,the transmition box , the wheel hubs and some casings. I will end up giving away most of the stock parts...
I enjoy putting the thing together (one of the most significant part of the hobby at least for me) and this will be my first crawler/electric powered rc car.
One thing here in Greece is that I essentially I need to order all of the stuff online as the two hobby shops here do not do crawlers (cause there are no people running these!! -salesman's answer), and when I have a look at the online stores I am spoilt for choice with all of the option parts
Speaking of online stores, any ones you particularly favour? I have only ordered from amain store.
Patrinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree with the others that piecing it together would cost the same or more than buying a donor vehicle. I would use the kit vs the ARTR. The upgraded parts on the ARTR that you would be using are the lockers and the tires. The kit lockers are ok and the odds are that you'll upgrade the tires again anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrinos View Post
I will end up giving away most of the stock parts..
You'll probably want to keep them as spares or material for modifications.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote