Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Dual ESC or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Default Dual ESC or not?

Hi. Most of my RC cars have been RTR's, so I never really did too much work with electronics.

Rig:

JP Hellstrom
Lightweight bullys
Holmes 35t handwounds or Warrior 55t
Punk DIG
JR8711 servo
Spectrum Dx3r
3s lipo

I have bought 2 Holmes BR XL esc's , but will a dual esc set-up give any significant advantages over a single esc setup? Or will the second esc just take up extra space? I have searched, and see that some people use dual esc's, but so far I haven't read anything about WHY they do so.

So simply put, should I go for a dual esc setup, or put the second esc in another car?

I have a Gmade R1 inbound, and I am considering using the second ESC and most likely one of the 55t motors in this rig. But the hellstrom will be prioritized if a dual esc setup is a significant improvement over a single esc.
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can have better control with dual esc if ya have the right radio. With the dx3r there is little advantage.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what would the "right radio" be? A stick radio that lets you control the two motors independently? Or is there more to it than that?
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The Futaba 3pk or 4pk would yield the best results with dual esc's. Each radio would allow you to change the percentage of power applied to each motor independently. Personally, I will be going dual esc's sometime in the future. I've watched them many times and amazed in their climbing ability and just overall handling.
kooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i've just switched to 2 fxr's and a 4pk radio. other than needing a masters degree in radio-usage, i love it! it takes some getting used to since you can control each esc independently and thus make one motor move faster (or slower) than the other. very helpful when you're going down inclines or on some sidehills and break overs. it can also help you battle stall if necessary. i think its worth every penny
crawling hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
Thanks

Out of curiosity, what would the "right radio" be? A stick radio that lets you control the two motors independently? Or is there more to it than that?
Yes the sticks will give you the most control imho. But the 4pk is a close second and more comfortable for folks used to a pistol radio.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
To get the most out of those dual ESC's you'd need a 4 channel radio that allows mixing. The stick radio would give you the most control, but they can be a challenge to use. I have recently started using the Nomadio React....it is quite a bit cheaper than the 4PK and, IMO, offers the same results....they are just ugly as sin.

Since you already have that 3R, I'd just run a single ESC and a Punk dig....you'll be happy with that setup.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote