Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb Honco TR Questio ns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Newb Honco TR Questio ns

Hello, I am pretty new to RC stuff. I messed around a little with helicopters last year until I got tired of crashing into the light and chopping light bulbs. My boys have a Slash 2 and a 1/16 E-Revo 2.4 that are fun for them, but once I drive around fast for a while I loose interest.

I've been thinking about getting a rock crawler/trail rig since that looks like more fun, plus I can dink around in the house too with it. Slowing going over obstacles looks more fun then hitting them at 30MPH and flying through the air.

I went to a couple of my LHS's and spoke to the gents there. They both recommended getting an AXIAL SCX10 TR, either the Honcho or the Jeep. One of the LHS guys mentioned one of the TR setups had a different wheelbase then the other. He also said he thought I would enjoy scale more then comp, which he explained but I really still don't know why that would be. After heading home and doing some research I see there are kits too.

My questions are:

Is one of the RTR kits better then the other in relation to wheelbase? Jeep or Honcho?

I am still pretty new to RC's, so I am not sure I feel comfortable getting the kit and adding electronics, but know I will want to upgrade soon. Right off I would like to go with a 2.4 radio kit...just seems easier. If I get the RTR kit can I just upgrade to 2.4 with a TX/RX or is more involved?

Thanks.
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

The TR Dingo has a wheelbase of 11.4" while the TR Honcho has a wheelbase of 12.3", they are pretty much the same except for the wheelbase and obvious body differences. Upgrading to a 2.4 system is as easy as replacing the stock receiver with the 2.4 one and plugging the motor, servo and lights into it.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #3

Very good, thank you. Would one of the wheel bases give me more options as far as parts and bodies or does it not make a difference? I am assuming the longer length makes it more stable.

DAVE
Old 06-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

well if for some reason you wanted the dingo and later you wanted to go with the longer wheel base all you would have to do is get new lower and upper links. Really simple change. I personally bought the Honcho TR for a couple of reasons. #1. I seem to be getting lazier than normal and it was already built. #2. It already came with Lights prewired (look awesome) #3. I kinda just preferred the bigger truck (longer). Not to mention the Exo cage bed on the honcho looks cool. It also comes with a spare tire in the back......The negatives. #1. The links are plastic instead of aluminum like the kit. #2. It was already built. (i know Its good and bad). #3. The body on the TR is already painted. For me the positives out weighed the negatives so I went with the honcho TR. All I did was sold all the electronics out of it for around 50-60 bucks and put it toward better electronics. either way you decide you will love it.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #5

Ok, so axial doesn't make a jeep as in the first two posts, for the rtr they have the honcho and dingo. I'm going to get a axial scx-10 for my b-day but I want to get people's ideas on what they think I should get. For me, I like the Dingo better, but I don't care what one I get.
RCrockcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #6

I was calling it the wrong name...the Dingo looks like a Jeep to me. Sorry about that! I think either one would be very good from what I am reading.

DAVE
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #7

<---------currently waiting for his honcho to show up
wrench23 is offline   Reply With Quote