Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I just can't decide!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Default I just can't decide!

Grr.. I have never had such a hard time deciding on a which model to get except now. I don't want to start another "scx10 or ax10" thread, instead, I'd like to know from the guys who have both a comp rig and a scaler (not necessarily axial brand). Which rig get's more use and which do you have more fun using? Which has been more fun to build? And which has been more fun to "tinker" on during downtime? I will eventually get a scaler and a comper but I just cant get both at once.

Crawling is defiantly more my speed as far as competition goes (sold my racer), but sitting back w/ some buds and a beer doing trail runs sounds very enticing too.. i just cant decide how to dive in!!

Thx for any input.
ps. I asked my 3 yr old and he said "ooh i want that one" to both...
JoeyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

ive got all the above,and i have to say the scalers are more fun to me,
coming from 1:1 rockcrawling id say go with the scaler for just good'ol
fun.

comp rigs they can be fun ,but frustrating,things can go wrong and ruin your comp day.

a scaler..if something breaks,its cool,no worries,unless its major damage!

scalers you can put just about as much time and effort into making it look scale,as you want.

scaler- scx-10 kit or honcho kit
ax-10- artr or the rtc

or you can probably find one on ebay or here on the board.

l8tr
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I got both i like them both the scaler is more fun when you water proof it by putting interfenders i used coffee cans it works good use a stick battery
losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

im starting with a scaler
wrench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Scalers can give worry free fun and with all the products in the market today, a scaler can be as competent as a full blown crawler was two years ago.
Still though the feeling after you cleared that almost impossible line with your crawler, is irreplaceable for me.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

A tough question, indeed.

Either rig, of course, can be enjoyed with good company and [good?] beer!

This was my question a year ago, too. I went the comp' route and haven't regretted it - but I've yet to invest in the Scaler and the itch is still bad (even worse now, with Axial's product-push and all these scale builds going up!).

Gathering from what I've read here during my stay here over the last year - although either kind of rig will keep you busy for hours and hours, I think a "level of completeness" will probably be felt faster with a comp build: typically there seem to be more details that go into scale builds and there is often that one last thing that needs to get done... Of course, this will depend on your style, taste, and how anal you are about "fine details."

More food for thought EDIT: I've spent quite some time putting together an "aesthetically pleasing" rock garden for my crawler. This is and has been fun. In retrospect, though, I think a "scale course" would have been a little simpler and funner to make, at least for me (I'm thinking of the "fun" I had gathering and transporting my own rocks with my Jeep Wrangler). All depending on your local ["rock"] geography, a Scaler may have more options for places to wheel than a dedicated crawler.

If there is a wife/woman present along with your 3 year old, you may want to ask her, too - all depending how she feels about all this. Maybe she'll tell you she wants a scaler, too!

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
A tough question, indeed.

Either rig, of course, can be enjoyed with good company and [good?] beer!

This was my question a year ago, too. I went the comp' route and haven't regretted it - but I've yet to invest in the Scaler and the itch is still bad (even worse now, with Axial's product-push and all these scale builds going up!).

Gathering from what I've read here during my stay here over the last year - although either kind of rig will keep you busy for hours and hours, I think a "level of completeness" will probably be felt faster with a comp build: typically there seem to be more details that go into scale builds and there is often that one last thing that needs to get done... Of course, this will depend on your style, taste, and how anal you are about "fine details."

More food for thought EDIT: I've spent quite some time putting together an "aesthetically pleasing" rock garden for my crawler. This is and has been fun. In retrospect, though, I think a "scale course" would have been a little simpler and funner to make, at least for me (I'm thinking of the "fun" I had gathering and transporting my own rocks with my Jeep Wrangler). All depending on your local ["rock"] geography, a Scaler may have more options for places to wheel than a dedicated crawler.

alot of the reasons he mentioned is why im going scaler first. i cant not leave things alone til there are no other parts available. with a scaler i can keep adding and changing things. and ill turn it into my scaler into a tow rig
wrench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would choose the scaler as well. Reason being the fact that it crawls good (maybe not as good as a comp), and it has the looks that are unmatchable. I started with a hybrid a crawler king, than I realized that it crawled really bad, so I modified it untill I had more than 3 times the initial investment in it and the only parts left from it where the axle housings. So after a lot of money spent I bought my first scaler, the xtrail-axial. I didn't spend much on it and I love it.
Now I have many crawlers but my favorites are the scalers, they just feel like you were driving a small car, sensation that a comp crawler can't match.

So bottom line.... scaler 100% to start... than get whatever you like best....
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

You can always go to scaler comps too, if you really wanted to compete.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
You can always go to scaler comps too, if you really wanted to compete.
exactly just compete with your scale truck.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on a scx10 honcho kit w/ free winch from RPP Hobby.
JoeyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #12

I think that a comp rig is a lot more fun.
Cody4667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Both are fun to have. Ive got 2 comp rigs and my next will be a scaler
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i'm going thru the exact same thing. i want a capable rig that my friends will not believe what it can do. around here there isn't any comps and very few rc crawlers. i have a bunch of dedicated fullsize crawler friends that are starting to get pissed due to the land closings and the costs involved to trailer their rigs to go crawling. this may be a way to get some fun crawling in between trips.

my thoughts were the axial ax-10 with a scale looking body. that way i could have a comp capable rig with the sorta scalish look.

other route is a scx-10 honcho and switching it up a little to run the 2.2 tire size. more capable than a 1.9 rig (most likely not as capable as ax-10) but alot more realistic looking. plus with all the accessories.....

after looking at everything, i think i will go scx-10 route.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #15

Scalers are also a great use for exercise! But i do enjoy how 2.2 rigs are more capable than scale rigs. I would check out these two videos from RcSparks and see what you find more enjoyable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv65bWkJcHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tEC2U3Rgo
RcAddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I really don't care how a rig looks. I want it to perform. While scalers look kool, like fancy paint and chrome on 1 to 1s, they do nothing for me. We shouldn't call them comp rigs, just crawlers. Get a set of berg axles and build a crawler!

Last edited by oldhippie; 06-30-2010 at 06:54 PM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Old hippie's right. Only get Bully axles.
For me, I can have my comp rig and just mount a scale-ish body on it if I want to look like I'm driving a REAL rig, with all the bennifits of a comp capable crawler.
I'm too wrapped up in pushing the envelope with the comp rig to worry or even care about the scale-ish tubers I've got. Even my girl has lost interest with her AX10 based tuber for a Bully moonbuggy.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote