Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie intro and 3 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Newbie intro and 3 questions

Hi guys,

I'm new to crawling but not new to rc. Been in the hobby 8 years now and currently have a heli, glider, Savage, Rustler, Mini-T, Mini LST and a Venom Creeper on the way.

I have a spare Traxxas TQ 3 channel tx and rx that I'm going to use for now. I am however looking for a esc and motor for the creeper and have done quite a bit of reading and research here and elsewhere on the net. I hope you guys can clarify a few things for me please:

1. The general consensus seems that a brushed system is much better than BL because of the "feel". What exactly is meant by that?
2. For the price of a decent brushed esc, a 35A EZRun esc and 32t bl combo can be had. For a newbie like me, why is this setup not preferable over a more expensive brushed system? What I like about this bl system is the programmability, and I've good experience with the EZRuns elsewhere, and the fact that bl is basically maintenance free.
3. Lastly, any recommendations for a esc/motor will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Default Re: Newbie intro and 3 questions

Wow, nearly two months old and not a single reply. I'm new to crawling (well haven't even started yet) but not new to RC myself. I believe BL motors are inherently less efficient at very low RPMs than brushed and they naturally want to pulse or cog, most apparent near stall speed. So I'm thinking that crawlers primarily operate at the speeds where all of the BL motor's weaknesses come out and must be overcome.

Maybe one of the experts will chime in and let us know if I'm on the right track or completely off base.
randytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I'm a total newbie to these as well, mostly I used to run nitro and and some old elec. As far as I am concerned with the new brushless motors they are pretty cool at extremely low throttle due to the super low gearing of a crawler. I have never had any pulsing or rocking back and forth like the old style brushed motors, my cheapy model can crawl up walls or rocks what have you so insanely slow and come to a dead stop and hold it's ground it's impressive. As far as the esc and all that deeper tech stuff I hope some of the old schoolers chime in for ya, just my 2ct's as a newb
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Not a expert...but I can tell ya a few things. With a creeper(crawler type rig) you want brushed because startup is smooth! Bl is more for trail/rock racer rigs with ultimate slow startup not as important. You can get good results with (Sensored) bl systems just not as good as brushed! You may hear different but I know I own both systems in different rigs from scx10's,wraith & moa. Nobody that I know of runs bl in 2.2 pro comp(moa) but opinions differ with everything else!!! Bl is fun but drivetrain upgrade is a must!!! Brushed can be just as fun & break parts also.

A good setup brushed is...
Esc's
1. Holmes hobbies brxl/minis
2. Tekin fxr
3. Castle sidewinder v3/micros

Motors
13t-35t handwound
Holmes hobbies
Brood
Tekin
Novak rockstar a lil cheaper but I have used them!

Brushless...
Esc's
Tekin -rs,rs pro,rx8
Castle mamba max pro

Motors(Sensored)
Tekin- roc 412,pro4
Holmes hobbies trailmaster 3100kv

I know others use many diff setups but these are very common & I have or have used them in my rigs!!! There are many other esc/motor combos just these I know work it's just what you want your rig to do & what wallet can afford.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote