RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Crawler for Robot application (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/254496-crawler-robot-application.html)

bengineer 06-12-2010 08:51 AM

Crawler for Robot application

I am looking to purchase an RC Crawler for a non-standard application and would like some expert advise on the model i should choose. I am looking to modify a crawler to be used as a outdoor research robot that will be used on typically smooth surfaces but capable of driving over small obstacles,light mud, crevasses, etc. It will also need to be loaded down with several pounds of equipment which means I will probably need to modify the suspension and it must be 4 wheel steer. Quality and reliability are number 1. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rcpro31 06-12-2010 09:37 AM

definetly a super crawler of some sort, you could probably get away with a monster truck though. but if youre stuck on a crawler, then you could get either bully or berg axles.

C*H*U*D 06-12-2010 09:52 AM

This sounds like a very interesting project! Do you have any other info or links to what you are doing? I'd love to see what you are making "thumbsup"

MadForce 06-12-2010 10:24 AM

I think a summit might be your best bet.

Jkelley 06-12-2010 12:46 PM

Depending on the size of load you'll be carrying (not weight) but mass. A standard 2.2 axial crawler may work well. You did say super reliable. Honestly whats more reliable than the old faithful axial axles and tranny. I thing the berg Idea is good but I would imagine for something that needs to be that reliable you could remove some of the problem out of the equation by only running one motor with shafts. Now if he wants to win comps with a few pounds of gear on his back go with a BERG"thumbsup"

dezfan 06-12-2010 01:08 PM

I would look at a Clod based Super.

norbyx 06-12-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadForce (Post 2498817)
I think a summit might be your best bet.

x2"thumbsup"

ThunderVP 06-12-2010 07:29 PM

Clodbuster, Berg axles or any type of moa axles in general would be your best bet for your rig. If you will be using a CPU and other sensors or electronics, you will not want to be limited by a center gearbox or driveshafts. You can design a chassis around your gear. A simple 4-link system and straight mounted shocks can easily be tuned with shock oil and spring rate to carry the extra weight.
I've built a number of robot platforms on Clod axles like you are talking about.
Sorry but I can't show any pics due to non-disclosure agreements.

grob23 06-12-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 2498919)

Thats exactly what I was thinking

jason 06-12-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 2498919)

exactly.

summits are not 4ws, and are junk

MadForce 06-13-2010 02:38 AM

Or then again if your project is small enough you can follow the same route every other A/T robot builder does. Tracks.
Check the Kyosho blizzard out as a platform. Easily modifiable too.

BladeMech 06-13-2010 07:00 AM

This is a different direction but...........maybe a Tamiya Tank?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=33000

fiveo 06-13-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason (Post 2499526)
exactly.

summits are not 4ws, and are junk

That is a bit harsh and incorrect.:roll: Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I own one myself and it is far from junk. It is not 4 wheel steer, and isn't a purpose built crawler, but waterproof, super strong motor with loads of torque, overall size, remote diff locks all would bode well for a project like what this person is doing.

addictedtonitro 06-13-2010 05:57 PM

I think a basic built tvp chassis on super bully axles is the way to go. JMO. The bullys are really reliable and with a purpose built tvp (twin vertical plane) chassis you can stuff a lot of your equipment batterys etc inside. Since you aren't comping with it you could set your chassis wider ableing you to stuff a lot inside the chassis plates. Plus with this set up you can basicly design your own chassis with spots to mount whatever your likeing.
Whats coming to mind is super bully axles with a sw2 chassis. Theres tons of screw holes for mounting whatever and without a trans and drive shafts your wide open down the center.