Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: brushless or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default brushless or not

looking into motors and esc's for a scx10 scale truck.

i love the performance and price of my other hobbywing esc's and motors.

my question is, is it worth going brushless??

i drove a hancho all day sunday with a stock traxxas esc and a 20 turn brushed motor, and it seemed like it did great, just didnt like the fact there was a delay between fwd and rev.

whats everyones opinion?
jbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #2

the "SEARCH" function is your friend...
KOHJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOHJeeper View Post

eveidently not. i used search, and surfed for about a hour.

found alot of people with brushless, but not to many opinions on which is best.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Boy this is a loaded question.I would say with all certainty ,it depend's
Are you planning on doing much in the water?How fast do you want it to go.Do you want great slow speed control and solid hill hold power ,adjustablity of all paramiters.These are all things to take into consideration.After you answer these for yourself it will narrow down your choices alot.I only run comp crawlers, no scle trail ect.I had a brushless system first and went to a brushed setup and never looked back.But after saying that I run brushless in my planes ,SC and 1/10 scale race trucks and would not dream of running brushed in those.I am running 45T Fantom motors with Tekin and Mamaba Max speed controls on 3s lipos and loving it.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Boy this is a loaded question.I would say with all certainty ,it depend's
Are you planning on doing much in the water?How fast do you want it to go.Do you want great slow speed control and solid hill hold power ,adjustablity of all paramiters.These are all things to take into consideration.After you answer these for yourself it will narrow down your choices alot.I only run comp crawlers, no scle trail ect.I had a brushless system first and went to a brushed setup and never looked back.But after saying that I run brushless in my planes ,SC and 1/10 scale race trucks and would not dream of running brushed in those.I am running 45T Fantom motors with Tekin and Mamaba Max speed controls on 3s lipos and loving it.

would deff be doing some in water, and mud. the trails we were on sunday were damp all the way, and had a few creek crossings. they were never submerged, but were in the water some.

as far as speed, i wouldnt mind it being a lil faster than what i had sunday, (20turn brushed on 2s lipo) but i guess that could be done with a couple teeth on the pinion

i run brushless in all my other race and bash rc's. as far as slow speed control, etc, thats pretty much what i was asking about.

what gets me is the price of the hobbywings with motors vs a reg brushed esc and motor.

the hobbywings are cheaper.

the kits ive got ordered are the scx10 rtr's any idea if that esc will handle say a 19-20 turn, or maybe even a 15turn?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

In my opinion if a 20T is not fast enough for you than you don't understand the rockcrawling type of driving, specialy for a scaler. I have a 45T in mine and it is even too fast. Have you ever seen a crawler in a 1.1? Speed is not there, only torque. So in my opinion keep the brushed and start crawling, if you want a basher than it's a different story.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I run a brushless velenion motor with cc sidewinder esc and it has great lowend with alot of top speed plus my motor is water proof just change the bearings every couple of months and its not a problem. If you want to control of the motor for climbing then you cant use the velenion esc it sucks compared to the sidewinder its night and day difference
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Plenty of folks have asked this question, including me. And all the answers are right...it depends. But I have my own opinions. If you have a shaft driven vehicle, go for it. Make sure you get a censored one. And DO NOT get a HobbyWing set up. PLENTY of folks here say they suck and that it is not censored. meaning it'll just "cog" at slow speeds. in other words the truck won't move til the rotor in the motor is in the right spot. A censored on will "Know" where the rotor is.

If you are running a MOA truck, stick with brushed motors. Not many manufacturers make a dual motor ESC for brushless motors. If you find one, put up a link.

The beauty of brushless is the gain in RPM with a jump in voltage. Some of the crawlers will tell you they start to break stuff when the voltage gets bumped up. I have a Venom creeper with a 2cell lipo and i break nothing. Run a 3cell lipo and shafts start to break.

Back to the start. If you are gettin' an Axial SCX-10. Do it. But be sure it is censored. I'm purchasing the same set up in a few weeks. I can't wait to have a 40mph rock crawler.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOHJeeper View Post
This is the Newbie section, Newb. None of that here.

Welcome!
You've already gotten great answers for the brushless question...I'll just suggest to not overlook a quality brushed setup. Holmes Hobby, an excellent vendor here, has a ESC/Motor combo package that could be worth looking into. His HH-BRXL is his popular ESC and what he does with motors is pretty amazing; the ESC is waterproof to boot.

A lot of ESCs have options to turn the reverse delay off - I don't like it either...

Last edited by JeepinOR; 06-15-2010 at 07:44 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I gave you some info above and with what you replied ,I have this to say.I would be tempted to go with a 35t brushed motor with the Holmes Hobbies Torque master ESC waterproofed and a MaxAmps waterproofed 3s lipo pack in a size that suits your application.This way you will have good wheel speed ,be able to hits some water safely and still have good crawling capability's with great hill hold and drag brake ect. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
In my opinion if a 20T is not fast enough for you than you don't understand the rockcrawling type of driving, specialy for a scaler. I have a 45T in mine and it is even too fast. Have you ever seen a crawler in a 1.1? Speed is not there, only torque. So in my opinion keep the brushed and start crawling, if you want a basher than it's a different story.
yes, i have driven a real rock crawler. im not interested in ""crawling"" were talking about a scale truck. which means its a street style truck. so yes i want a lil more speed.

to make one lil thing clear, ive been running/racing/bashing rcs for lil over 15years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemachinist View Post
Plenty of folks have asked this question, including me. And all the answers are right...it depends. But I have my own opinions. If you have a shaft driven vehicle, go for it. Make sure you get a censored one. And DO NOT get a HobbyWing set up. PLENTY of folks here say they suck and that it is not censored. meaning it'll just "cog" at slow speeds. in other words the truck won't move til the rotor in the motor is in the right spot. A censored on will "Know" where the rotor is.

If you are running a MOA truck, stick with brushed motors. Not many manufacturers make a dual motor ESC for brushless motors. If you find one, put up a link.

The beauty of brushless is the gain in RPM with a jump in voltage. Some of the crawlers will tell you they start to break stuff when the voltage gets bumped up. I have a Venom creeper with a 2cell lipo and i break nothing. Run a 3cell lipo and shafts start to break.

Back to the start. If you are gettin' an Axial SCX-10. Do it. But be sure it is censored. I'm purchasing the same set up in a few weeks. I can't wait to have a 40mph rock crawler.
i love the hobbywing esc's that i currently own. but i understand what you mean about the un sensored coging a lil when trying to take off easy. we deff dont want that while trying to crawl over a rock.

i dont so much want it to go 40 lol. but about 3-5 more mph would be good in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
This is the Newbie section, Newb. None of that here.

Welcome!
You've already gotten great answers for the brushless question...I'll just suggest to not overlook a quality brushed setup. Holmes Hobby, an excellent vendor here, has a ESC/Motor combo package that could be worth looking into. His HH-BRXL is his popular ESC and what he does with motors is pretty amazing; the ESC is waterproof to boot.

A lot of ESCs have options to turn the reverse delay off - I don't like it either...
i will deff check out the holmes esc's do either of you have a website for them?

Quote:
I gave you some info above and with what you replied ,I have this to say.I would be tempted to go with a 35t brushed motor with the Holmes Hobbies Torque master ESC waterproofed and a MaxAmps waterproofed 3s lipo pack in a size that suits your application.This way you will have good wheel speed ,be able to hits some water safely and still have good crawling capability's with great hill hold and drag brake ect. Hope this helps.

everyone has been very helpful.

pretty much what i gather from everyones response and experiance, is that a good brushed set up is gona be what i need.

the motor in the one i was driving this week end was a 20 turn out of a hpi sprint, with a traxxas xl5 esc.

either a couple less turns on the motor, or a couple teeth on the pinion, i belive would do what i need.

if anyone can post up a site where the holmes esc's are sold thatd be great as well.

one last question,, anyone know much about the rtr esc that comes with the axial scx10 rtr kit? i belive it comes with a 27 turn motor, any idea how low a of turn motor that esc will handle?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

One of the things that you have to take into account is Voltage.Was the 20T with the traxxas controller on a 6 cell Nimh or 2s lipo? I would not recommend the 35t on 6 cell nimh or 2s for your application.I am saying go 3s 11.1v lipo .But you may be talking short course speed which is not what I am talking so you have to figure that out .As for holmes Hobbies here is the web link. http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
One of the things that you have to take into account is Voltage.Was the 20T with the traxxas controller on a 6 cell Nimh or 2s lipo? I would not recommend the 35t on 6 cell nimh or 2s for your application.I am saying go 3s 11.1v lipo .But you may be talking short course speed which is not what I am talking so you have to figure that out .As for holmes Hobbies here is the web link. http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php

it was on a 2s lipo. hes running the same lipos made for the mini slash/revo there a 20c 2200 mah.

in his other scx10 he had a 35turn with a novak esc and the same battery. im not sure on the gearing diffrence, but the 20turn wasnent much faster, but the 35turn/novak truck lasted about 20-30 mins longer on one battery.

and no im not talking shortcorse speed.

avrage human walking speed is suposed to be about 3-4 mph i belive. the 20turn one on 2s lipo was just bearly maybe 1 mph faster than my normal walking. thats why i said maybe a couple teeth on the pinion
Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

A good 35T motor on 3s is no walking speed Let us know what you end up with and how you like it. Dennis
The differnce between 2s and 3s is amazing by the way.Everything just works better,more wheel speed ,better torque and cooler temp if done right .
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
A good 35T motor on 3s is no walking speed Let us know what you end up with and how you like it. Dennis
The differnce between 2s and 3s is amazing by the way.Everything just works better,more wheel speed ,better torque and cooler temp if done right .

his 35t was on 2s, im sure the extra 3+ volts makes a big diffrence.

i know what it does on my buggys going from 3s to 4s.

by the way. i ordered 2 of the scx10 kits from tower yesterday. should be here wed per the tracking number. one for me and one for the GF. i oped for the dingo body rtr kits,

i was gona buy a couple used ones, but most people wanted more for used ones then i could buy new.

Last edited by jbeane; 06-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Brushed
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote