Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Very happy axial ax10 rtc owner! But a few questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Smile Very happy axial ax10 rtc owner! But a few questions...

Hey guys, first off i would like to say hello and that i am new to this fourm. So i just got my brand new axial rtc and LOVE IT! I was originally into rc with the regular off road racing cars, and got into crawling. Now im looking to upgrade my crawler to be more capable on the rocks. Now what would be the best choice for under $100? I was thinking either a DIG system or even the SWX chassis would be neat, but what would be the best bang for your buck? Thanks again,

Addy
RcAddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

A "quick fix" would be the Dig unit but I would hold off on that for a while. I still crawl without one and there are times where I say "man wish I had one" but I can easily see how it can become a crutch

As for chassis, the SWX is very popular, its nice it includes the links so if your looking for a good upgrade, that would be a nice pick I can say that even a "homebrew" chassis can do a lot of stuff that the stock one had troubles with. Sure no chassis is going to be perfect but part of the fun is learning to work around an issues we encounter

Considered tires yet
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

welcome to the site and to crawling. I would work on the electronics first. A better esc or a better servo would come first. Then once both of those are done then I would look into getting a new chassis. Get yourself a hitec 7955TG servo for right @ $100 or a tekin FXR esc for right @ $100. Tires and foams would be a cheaper way to get more out of your rig. Get a set of Rovers and double deuce Nova foams and you will see a vast improvement. You could also get a 35t Integy motor for it to get more wheel speed out of it. Just start reading and you will see what you need to work on. When your ready to upgrade the chassis The BWD wedge for the axial is probably the most capable setup for an axial out right now.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
welcome to the site and to crawling. I would work on the electronics first. A better esc or a better servo would come first. Then once both of those are done then I would look into getting a new chassis. Get yourself a hitec 7955TG servo for right @ $100 or a tekin FXR esc for right @ $100. Tires and foams would be a cheaper way to get more out of your rig. Get a set of Rovers and double deuce Nova foams and you will see a vast improvement. You could also get a 35t Integy motor for it to get more wheel speed out of it. Just start reading and you will see what you need to work on. When your ready to upgrade the chassis The BWD wedge for the axial is probably the most capable setup for an axial out right now.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Right now ive got a spare mamba max so i think that will do for an esc, and i will probably start my adventure of crawling with a brushless motor and decent servo. What about the aluminum link upgrades? What about battery placement? Thanks again,

Addy
Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

One of the first things I did to my AX10 RTC was swap out the foams for a set of Proline memory foams. I know they aren't as good as the Nova foams, but they are worlds better than the stock ones in the RTC. I also added a little weight to the wheels. 2.5oz in the front and 1.75 in the back. I'm not sure if the amount of weight I added is a good amount, but between that and the foams it made a huge difference in traction, even with the stock tires.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAddy View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Right now ive got a spare mamba max so i think that will do for an esc, and i will probably start my adventure of crawling with a brushless motor and decent servo. What about the aluminum link upgrades? What about battery placement? Thanks again,

Addy
Sweet that is a good esc to use. Especially if you already have one. I would stay away from brushless. The low end resolution sucks. I would deffinetly stick with brushed. A nice 35t would work best. You run lipo's in it? If so get some 1500mah 3s packs and you can either mount them on the front axle next to the servo (ie. servo to one side and batt. next to it) or you can put it on the front upper links on a lexan tray. I would stear clear from running big packs and any pack on the top. Sense you already have an esc I would definitely get a new servo for it. I would get one with at least 250oz.@ 6v. I would go with delrin links instead of aluminum. 5/16" thick rod or 1/4" machined ones would be the best.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

Great! Thanks again guys!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

One of the first things I did was the lower links. They were worth it. The others are right about the electronics. A good servo and esc are crucial. Weight in the tires is cheep and another must do item. Hitec hs-7954 is also a good servo. As far as motors a brushed is the way to go in my opinion. 45t is a good combo of torque and speed. The dig can turn into a crutch like the others said. Learning to drive is the biggest thing you can do. You can't buy talent. Try moving the electronics around too. The lower the better and that doesn't cost much. I have my electronics on the axles as well as my batterys. Hope this helps.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote