Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial... But Which One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Default Axial... But Which One?

Hey guys, new to the SCALE rock crawling world, but not to real rock crawling or rc cars. im needing some help deciding which crawler to get. im going with an axial for sure, mainly because of the easily obtainable aftermarket parts. i was at my local hobby shop and i was looking at the trail honcho which i fell in love with and spent 20 minutes looking at. they have it for sale for 310 bucks which seems about right. i just worried if this thing has enough flex. so guys, tell me, which is the best axial for 310 bucks or less. btw i want rtr, no exceptions

Thanks!
silverbullet32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet32 View Post
Hey guys, new to the SCALE rock crawling world, but not to real rock crawling or rc cars. im needing some help deciding which crawler to get. im going with an axial for sure, mainly because of the easily obtainable aftermarket parts. i was at my local hobby shop and i was looking at the trail honcho which i fell in love with and spent 20 minutes looking at. they have it for sale for 310 bucks which seems about right. i just worried if this thing has enough flex. so guys, tell me, which is the best axial for 310 bucks or less. btw i want rtr, no exceptions

Thanks!
You can't go wrong with the RTR Honcho, it's truly an amazing RTR rig. Get one and join in all the scale fun!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have three Axials, the first one I got was an RTC/RTR AX10. The problem with Axial RTR's is all the electronics are poor..... at best.... out of the box. Im not even gonna sugar coat it. I have two friends that both got that same crawler after I did, one of which the radio didn't even work out of the box this is the only downfall to the axial RTR's. A BEC will help if your budget is set at 300-ish dollars.

As for flex, a "scaler" will not flex as much as a "Crawler"....not the same chassis, if you improve the shocks on the scaler it will help it flex.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

it has enough flex, but if you want that extreme type, then ax10 would be good. I prefer much less what the scx10 can do, so I shortened the shocks and limited its travel. Much more fun.
CarLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
You can't go wrong with the RTR Honcho, it's truly an amazing RTR rig. Get one and join in all the scale fun!
that's what i wanted to hear! thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
I have three Axials, the first one I got was an RTC/RTR AX10. The problem with Axial RTR's is all the electronics are poor..... at best.... out of the box. Im not even gonna sugar coat it. I have two friends that both got that same crawler after I did, one of which the radio didn't even work out of the box this is the only downfall to the axial RTR's. A BEC will help if your budget is set at 300-ish dollars.

As for flex, a "scaler" will not flex as much as a "Crawler"....not the same chassis, if you improve the shocks on the scaler it will help it flex.
i had the same radio for my duratrax evader and it seemed to work good enough for me, but thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLo View Post
it has enough flex, but if you want that extreme type, then ax10 would be good. I prefer much less what the scx10 can do, so I shortened the shocks and limited its travel. Much more fun.
ok cool man
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #6

okay so the more i research, the more i want a crawler over a scaler. but the scaler is still an option. i have it narrowed to these two

crawler-- http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10rtc/

scaler-- http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-rtr/index.html
Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Honestly the Honcho can be made almost as capable as the AX10. The honcho will be used in more places than the AX10 and in general is much more fun.

You should decide what you want to do with your truck first though.

My vote is the Honcho though, unless you want to comp. Then my vote is either wait for the XR10, get a losi comp crawler, a bully, or a berg.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Honestly the Honcho can be made almost as capable as the AX10. The honcho will be used in more places than the AX10 and in general is much more fun.

You should decide what you want to do with your truck first though.

My vote is the Honcho though, unless you want to comp. Then my vote is either wait for the XR10, get a losi comp crawler, a bully, or a berg.
x2!

lower the battery tray, weight the wheels, and 4-link it, and your golden!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The rtc will be more capable than the honcho, if for no other reason than the bigger tires. But it also has better shocks and some other goodies. It really boils down to how important looks are compared to crawlability. Scale rigs look way kool but they really don't interest me because ya have to give up performance to get the "look".
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
x2!

lower the battery tray, weight the wheels, and 4-link it, and your golden!
x2 on this reply
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Scale rigs look way kool but they really don't interest me because ya have to give up performance to get the "look".
Have you driven an SCX10 though?

While it's no comp crawler it's plenty capable and a hell of a lot of fun. You also tend to do things with it you wouldn't with a comp crawler and the challenge makes it more fun to drive.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:

While it's no comp crawler it's plenty capable and a hell of a lot of fun. You also tend to do things with it you wouldn't with a comp crawler and the challenge makes it more fun to drive.
X2

The scalers are a lot of fun, scale runs with friends, driving in mud and water and even putting on some lights.

All things that are much more fun with a scaler then a comp rig.

Plus in all reality the ax10 axles just are not as completive in the competition scene as they used to be. But for a scaler they are bomb proof.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #13

thanks guys for all the imput! im kinda wanting to do competitions but idk if we have them around here (northwest washington). i have been looking at pics and saving the ones i like so i have ideas when i finally get one. i just think it would be cool to have a crawler because they are more capable. but time will tell and i am going to wait to see which one i want. btw, since i want an rtr/c they come with plastic links. how much are aluminum links? i looked around but i could only find all aluminum kits for them

thanks!!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If youre in Washington state, then I know of two clubs around the Seattle area...WARCRC and WPRCA. WARCRC even has a scale series that I participate in from time to time (Im in Portland). If youre on the east coast, then I cant help you.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I love it when someone gets all huffy when someone knocks a scaler's performance yet starts out by admitting "it is no comp crawler".

Yes I know scxs /minis. I don't bash my moa comp rig but I am building a custom 2.2 axial (and a dual esc/steer cliff climber) to bash and readily admit it will never be a real comp crawler but is a different kind of fun. And still more capable and fun than a scaler imho. I still like my moa comp rig the most!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The rtc will be more capable than the honcho, if for no other reason than the bigger tires. But it also has better shocks and some other goodies. It really boils down to how important looks are compared to crawl ability. Scale rigs look way cool but they really don't interest me because ya have to give up performance to get the "look".
I'm just the opposite, I much prefer the looks and "scale" crawling ability of the Scalers, Comp rigs can do some amazing stuff, but I'd always choose a scaler first.

We do scale comps and just get together and do trail runs. Not to mention, the tuff truck comps, Nothing better than seeing a bunch of trucks trying to do the near imposable.

I bet if someone was to give me a comp rig it wouldn't last a month before I hacked it up and built a scaler out of the parts.
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet32 View Post
thanks guys for all the imput! im kinda wanting to do competitions but idk if we have them around here (northwest washington). i have been looking at pics and saving the ones i like so i have ideas when i finally get one. i just think it would be cool to have a crawler because they are more capable. but time will tell and i am going to wait to see which one i want. btw, since i want an rtr/c they come with plastic links. how much are aluminum links? i looked around but i could only find all aluminum kits for them

thanks!!!!

If ya really seriously plan on doing comps, skip shaftys and get the new rx10 or build up a set of berg axles!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If youre in Washington state, then I know of two clubs around the Seattle area...WARCRC and WPRCA. WARCRC even has a scale series that I participate in from time to time (Im in Portland). If youre on the east coast, then I cant help you.
thanks man. i am in washington state. idk how committed i could be though because seattle is about two hours away from me. but thanks though

Quote:
If ya really seriously plan on doing comps, skip shaftys and get the new rx10 or build up a set of berg axles!
im not 100 percent sure if im doing comps, i just dont want to burn any bridges at the moment
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I love it when someone gets all huffy when someone knocks a scaler's performance yet starts out by admitting "it is no comp crawler".
I never saw where I nor anyone else got huffy. You also never answered the question of "have you actually driven an SCX10". To know one means exactly what? Having driven another x brand scaler is not the same as an SCX I can guarantee.

I own both a losi comp crawler and the SCX, however the SCX will always get more run time because it's much more fun to drive in different places. I will probably also buy the new XR10, but still, the SCX will get more runtime.

A comp crawler is fun on rocks and that is it. Nothing you have set up for bashing will compete on the rocks period. It's two different worlds and buying an AX10 at this point and thinking you will be a serious competitor on the rocks is futile. You would have to spend several hundred just to get it to perform even close to an LCC. You sure won't take it mudding, or trail running, or down on the beach to cruise in the sand. On the other hand an SCX you will.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I never saw where I nor anyone else got huffy. You also never answered the question of "have you actually driven an SCX10". To know one means exactly what? Having driven another x brand scaler is not the same as an SCX I can guarantee.

I own both a losi comp crawler and the SCX, however the SCX will always get more run time because it's much more fun to drive in different places. I will probably also buy the new XR10, but still, the SCX will get more runtime.

A comp crawler is fun on rocks and that is it. Nothing you have set up for bashing will compete on the rocks period. It's two different worlds and buying an AX10 at this point and thinking you will be a serious competitor on the rocks is futile. You would have to spend several hundred just to get it to perform even close to an LCC. You sure won't take it mudding, or trail running, or down on the beach to cruise in the sand. On the other hand an SCX you will.
x2 on this, ive got 2 scx's and a LCC,and am soon to have a XR-10 when it comes outs, i think scalers are more fun because the chalange that you cant make everything and your rig looks like a real truck while doing it, plus people who see you in a park crawling think they are cooler and some what reconize them
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote