Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA versus driveshaft/transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
There's actually a build of one in the Axial section.....pretty good while back if I remember right.
I'm sure. I am really just jacking with Jeremy.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Check your local craigslist postings for a slightly used axial, losi, berg or bully. You will be much happier with one of those than some unproven RS10 that you will not be able to find parts at the LHS for.

Buddy of mine has the RS10, he has a hard time finding parts when his breaks & now wishes he would of gotten the AX10. Another friend of mine picked up a basically brand new AX10 from the LHS for 200 w/ lipo battery.

I got my losi night crawler basically brand new from guy on craigs for 300 with battery & charger, the bought it for his son who drove it a few times & wanted an airplane. Just search
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

did that. not much in the kansas city area. called on one and he sold it yesturday. I really am skeptical buying used not really knowing much about them. going to a local crawl on sunday so hopefully i will learn alot.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

IMO, some of the greatest deals on an MOA ARTR can be had from JP Customs.

The Bully is an excellent platform to build an MOA comp ready truck and Jarods chassis seem to be working extremely well for his drivers.

http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/MainMOA.html

I have been beating on my stock 2.2 Bully axles for quite some time without ANY breakage. I dont think there is a berg owner out there that can say the same....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post
What matters most is this:
The rig that crawls the best isn't neccesarily the most fun, period.

My AX10 could crawl 95%+ of what my buddys MOA could.
Another friend has a Losi Comp crawler, and his son's night crawler could hang with his comp crawler, 95%+ of the time.

The performance margin is thinner than you think.

For me personally, after two years of going really slow, I craved more speed and versatility, so now I'm building an AX10 based rock racer.
Why not? The hobby will evolve with you.

That being said, based on the direction you decide, I'd only recommend the following rigs:
Axial AX10
Losi Comp/Night crawler
Berg or Bully kit

i suggest taking the advice given to you here ...... im a newbie myself and i have a G-made R1 ...... when i dirve my rig ....i come across lines which i just cant make which are easily handled by MOA'S which i see in youtube .... but i'm havin a lot of fun drivin my rig which is giving me that push to save up for a berg/bully MOA .....

get something that will maximize your crawl time not your looking for parts time and repairing time ...... get a feel of the hobby and if you feel its for you ..... get something which has decent re-sale value if you decide to upgrade to a full blown comp crawler .....

but do get yourself a nice set of electronics ...... mamba max pro ..... tekin fx-r ...... holmes hobbies torqumaster ....... these will be essential to any rig you drive or do plan to get .....
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
definately decided on the MOA to start. although i like the bashing prospects of shafty. I.E. mud and water. fund wise am gonna get the rs10 to start out and go from there. eventually want to build my own frame. That's wherethe shafty also come to play. I like what I have seen so far on shafties as far as frames go. Harley....I am gonna check out the missouri section and see what's going on in kc area. can't wait.

yes!!!!!!!! a new RS10er!! we call my buddies the big mean nerd (a.k.a. bully killer)
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
If ya don't plan on serious comping, a bully kit is a great way to go.
"
I disagree that a bully is not for serious comping. I go out and do pretty well against ALL of the bergs in my local club. Berg vs. Bully is realy like Ford vs. Chevy.

I have been in spots that snap a berg in a heart beat, while my Bully just digs out of it...

The Bully axle is WAY more durable!
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

My club also runs a lot of bullys in both 2.2 and super and myself will be swapping my clod axles for super bully soon
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #49
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post

but do get yourself a nice set of electronics ...... mamba max pro ..... tekin fx-r ...... holmes hobbies torqumaster ....... these will be essential to any rig you drive or do plan to get .....
That's VERY good advice. Good electronics...batteries, chargers, servo's, ESC's, radio gear and even motors. Cheesy electronics will kill the fun/performance with ANY truck.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

i never thought this would be so overwhelming. looking forward to seeing some in action so i can order one monday ot tuesday. really like the new axial rtr but not sure i can wait. feel like a little kid at xmas time.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Definitely spend a lot of time looking in to electronics, they make a HUGE difference. I run a Tekin FXR ESC, it is very small, reliable and easy to program. I have ordered a punk dig, best on the market. I will be ordering some 45T handwound motors from Tekin very soon. You can get Spektrum's introductory radio for about $100 at your LHS, it only works on 1 rig, but works well.

I run a park zone lipo and have a Venom charger.

It is definitely an investment and VERY overwhelming at first. My experience has been ask A LOT of questions before you buy...I have had to re-purchase several items and it really adds up!!!
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote