Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA versus driveshaft/transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MOA versus driveshaft/transmission

anyone got any insight on which is better. Motors on axles or using two "standard" axles and transmision? Seems MOA would have more clearance but since I am new to this I figured I would ask. tried searching threads but had no luck with the way I was wording my search. Thanks in advance. Also anyone form the kansas city area that knows of places to go watch/compete?
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
anyone got any insight on which is better. Motors on axles or using two "standard" axles and transmision? Seems MOA would have more clearance but since I am new to this I figured I would ask. tried searching threads but had no luck with the way I was wording my search. Thanks in advance. Also anyone form the kansas city area that knows of places to go watch/compete?
This is a question you will have to answer for yourself. The shafty guys will say shafty and MOA will say MOA. I have both and really like both. Get out to a local comp and see which one looks more appealing to you.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The MOA are by far the most popular rigs that win comps. Just google some crawler comps and see what kind of rigs people are running. MOA all the way. Not to say that a shafty won't work, but I started with Losi comp crawlers and moved on to a Berg which blows the Losi out of the water.

Disclaimer: I would get my arse handed to me running my berg against a pro with a shafty!! The driver is really what makes a crawler, but the MOA can do so much more IMHO.
skkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

MOA's are for people who need an edge and can't learn to drive shafties .........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No torque twist with MOA's.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

This is an ford/chevy thing to alot of guys but the fact is, bergs win more comps than axials or losis. If ya plan to comp seriously get an moa. If ya just want to bash in the backyard or with your buddies, an axial is a pretty bulletproof rig with tons of aftermarket support. Of course crawling is more about driver than rig but a better rig can make a poor driver do better.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

lots of good info guys. I wish i could find a local place to watch some comps. To me the axials look more realistic as well as it appears to have more options as far as gear ratio but then again I am sure u can change gearing on MOA's as well otherwise they wouldn't be so popular. I understand the driver makes the rig. Ever see an ugly girl in a convertable and a hot chick in a chevette? Now I have to find out what a berg is. I thought there were two basic designs...MOA and shafties. Bob......you made me laugh.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

MOA... comp
Shaftie... scale/rock racer

Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Check your local club as many are starting to favor the West Coast Championship rules regarding classes which offerers a pro shaft class. IMO this created a level playing field for the competition of shaft trucks. This still allows you to compete in the Open class against MOAs with a shaft truck if you wish. If your local club strictly follows the USRCCA class rules I would recommend that you get a MOA.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The Berg is a moa truck . Most notably axles because people tend to use different chassis . Its just a brand , all be it one of the better moa's . As for the debate , I would say it comes down to preference and expense . How much money do you have ? Moa's are generally more expensive . Shafties have less electronics and gears to replace . You can stay on a budget with the moa but a budget shafty will be cheaper . I prefer moa because they seem to be more capable with my driving style . I use shafties for general bashing and trail runs where I might find some water or mud though .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I say go for the best of both worlds.....MOA rear, shafty front!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
jwo
Rock Crawler

i have both styles of rigs. i prefer my moa over my shafty. personal preference. moa's are more capable, but a shafty can be just as good if set up right. i have seen some shaftys pull off some nice lines. when my shafty really started to shine was after underdrive gears were installed along with a dig.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

They both serv there own purpose i like the moa myself and i also like my shafty
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
Also anyone form the kansas city area that knows of places to go watch/compete?
Check the Missouri section. We have a KCRC thread that is very active. We have a pretty good club here.

Oh and MOA is by far better without any sort of question. Anyone who says different has been dropped on their head
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I am fairly new to crawling as well. Have only been doing it for a few months. I started with a MOA Bully. IMO it is definitely a driving preference but MOAs are definitely a lot more popular in my area. MOAs are also more capable and have a HUGE aftermarket for support.

IMO go MOA. Then the real decision is Bully or Berg. Bully is a little cheaper to get up and running, but both are very solid.

You could also wait for the new Axial MOA to come out and go for that.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!!
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

definately decided on the MOA to start. although i like the bashing prospects of shafty. I.E. mud and water. fund wise am gonna get the rs10 to start out and go from there. eventually want to build my own frame. That's wherethe shafty also come to play. I like what I have seen so far on shafties as far as frames go. Harley....I am gonna check out the missouri section and see what's going on in kc area. can't wait.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I say go for the best of both worlds.....MOA rear, shafty front!
I would love to see that in person.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
I would love to see that in person.
Is that a challenge?
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
definately decided on the MOA to start. although i like the bashing prospects of shafty. I.E. mud and water. fund wise am gonna get the rs10 to start out and go from there. eventually want to build my own frame. That's wherethe shafty also come to play. I like what I have seen so far on shafties as far as frames go. Harley....I am gonna check out the missouri section and see what's going on in kc area. can't wait.

Please, please do not buy the RS10!! There are so much better ways to get into MOA, such as a used bully rig or the new XR10 when it's available. The RS10 is a waste of money sadly and all the frustration can easly make someone lose interest and fall out of the hobby.

The shafties are an absolute blast to bash, but a basher is going to be setup differently than a comp rig anyway so you would end up needing two seperate trucks anyway in reality. An SCX10 is one of the best little bashers I have ever owned.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

As a first crawler, I would pick from these two lists:

Shafty:

-Axial AX10
-Losi Nightcrawler/Comp Crawler
-Venom Creeper or Kyosho Rock Force (if you are adventurous)
-G-Made R1

MOA:

-Bully (can be had as a complete kit or axles only)
-Berg (can be had as a complete kit or axles only)

I'm sorry, but I've pretty much driven the rest and you will pull your hair out and drain your bank account trying to make the other kits even come close to the crawlers above.

The problem with the rest of the kits are that there is very little you can do unless you can fab your own parts if you want to upgrade later on.

If you are undecided, about getting a scaler or crawler, you can go with the in-between route and get either the HPI Crawler King or Tamiya CR01. Both of which are a blast to drive and have a litttle aftermarket support.

That RS10 maybe MOA, but stock vs. stock, a Losi Nightcrawler or even an AX10 RTC will run circles around that thing in a comp.

Last edited by K.O.M.; 07-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote