Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: hello there!! new to RC and Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

Default hello there!! new to RC and Crawling

So i joined this morning, and lurked all day. Read the first 21 pages of other newb questions and think i have a tiny bit figured out.

i intend on purchasing an axial ax10 rtc, based on my money constraints and tower hobbies 3pay setup, it works for me. oh, and it still all depends on if my wife kicks me out like she's threatening to........... lol.

i know the first thing would be an esc and bec ( havent shopped brands yet ) then tires, then the possibilities are endless.

im probably going to stick with the basic battery packs as i am an electrical RETARD. lol. drive it around for a bit, and get a dig system. dont neccesarily want to install that right away because i like the idea of the sportsmans class. but would be a good upgrade for future crawling and comps.

i am happy to have found this forum, my brother brought his ax-10 over one day and let me play with it, and ive been stuck on them since. i love the techicalities of it, not just go go go turn.

but anyway, just wanted to say hi to all the old hats- keep the ideas, and positive comments coming!

thanks alot,
bryan
AKA-bentgixxer
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to your new obsession!!!

I recommend buying a star so you can lurk around the For Sale section. They have some great deals there and you'll likely be able to get a full-blown hopped up RTR for less cash than buying everything new.

Sounds like you have discovered the first rule of RCC---> Read, Search, then ask...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

i do intend to buy a star, just waiting on payday
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Welcome Bent. Deffinately get that star!!! Then hit up giveaways. Nothin like winning free stuff.
Clear Lake........ Is that the one just outa Chicago?
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #5

no sir, clear lake, texas. smack dab between houston and galveston.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer View Post
no sir, clear lake, texas. smack dab between houston and galveston.
I used to live in Baytown and went to Clear Lake to watch the hydros race.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited by jamison31; 07-30-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added info
jamison31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

show your brother up, wait a few weeks and get the axial xr10, you'll love it and you'll have what very likely will be the best comp crawler. this means when you comp and decide you wanna go pro you'll all ready have the bad boy.

just my 2cents, the ax10 is awesome......but
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #8

i would love to do that, but from what ive read, the xr10 will only use lipo batts, and that means buying those, and all the other stuff that goes with it.

im going to order the ax10 and the novak goat 2s esc. i am pretty sure he is still running all stock. so from what ive read, all ill have to do is get him in a tight spot
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Bryan,

our local club holds regular comps every month. One of our comp sites is right on the beach in Galveston (~45th and Seawall).

http://www.texasradiocontrol.com/forums/

In fact, I am about to leave for a comp early this morning....however, it is in College Station.

Our club has EVERY type of crawler out there that folks use to compete with and we regularly run all three comp classes (2.2, 1.9 and Super). You are more than welcome to out and see the different types....most folks would even be willing to let you drive them.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Welcome. There an't no place like this place so this must be the place. You'r gonna love all the info help here and these folks are always willing to help us newbs out.
team sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer View Post
i would love to do that, but from what ive read, the xr10 will only use lipo batts, and that means buying those, and all the other stuff that goes with it.

im going to order the ax10 and the novak goat 2s esc. i am pretty sure he is still running all stock. so from what ive read, all ill have to do is get him in a tight spot
First, welcome! The ax10 is a great choice for a first crawler! But if ya plan to comp I would recommend a berg or the xr 10 kit. It will save ya money in the long run. That said, your choice of the novak goat brushless and nimh batt isn't the smartest for a budget build (or any build). I would really recommend going with a sidewinder/fxr/hh brushed setup and take the money ya save to get a lipo charger and forget about nimh. Most everyone runs brushed systems in crawlers because of the low speed and start-up smoothness they provide over even the best sensored brushless systems. Plus they are cheaper. There just is no comparison how much better lipos are over nimh either. Again welcome and above all, have fun!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Bryan,

our local club holds regular comps every month. One of our comp sites is right on the beach in Galveston (~45th and Seawall).

http://www.texasradiocontrol.com/forums/

In fact, I am about to leave for a comp early this morning....however, it is in College Station.

Our club has EVERY type of crawler out there that folks use to compete with and we regularly run all three comp classes (2.2, 1.9 and Super). You are more than welcome to out and see the different types....most folks would even be willing to let you drive them.

thanks, I was actually scouring the net last night and saw that comp scheduled for tomorrow. i would have gone, but didnt wake up in time this morning. i will definately make it out to some of the GTG's in galvatraz though. only a 20 min drive for me. and i saw on that forum the indoor track on redbluff. I cant wait to get this thing in and start playing.

Quote:
First, welcome! The ax10 is a great choice for a first crawler! But if ya plan to comp I would recommend a berg or the xr 10 kit. It will save ya money in the long run. That said, your choice of the novak goat brushless and nimh batt isn't the smartest for a budget build (or any build). I would really recommend going with a sidewinder/fxr/hh brushed setup and take the money ya save to get a lipo charger and forget about nimh. Most everyone runs brushed systems in crawlers because of the low speed and start-up smoothness they provide over even the best sensored brushless systems. Plus they are cheaper. There just is no comparison how much better lipos are over nimh either. Again welcome and above all, have fun!
thanks for the advice I have nothing to do today, so im just gonna price everything up and see what i can do.

thanks again guys, this is gonna be fun!

Last edited by bentgixxer; 07-31-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Welcome!, This is by far the best RC forum i have ever been on. Tons of good information here and lots of people willing to help.
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #14

Ordered my AX10 this morning before i left work. will be here tomorrow!! YEAH!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Sounds good! Just in time for our Aug28 comp in Galveston!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote