Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: scx-10 honcho solely a crawler? gears and motor questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM   #1

Default scx-10 honcho solely a crawler? gears and motor questions

hey guys. I just got an axial scx10 trail honcho. The first thing I noticed was that out of the box, I can't stand the speed of the 27t axial motor.

So I just ordered the 55t axial motor. What else do i need to make my trail honch a rock crawling beast. And please don't tell me to just go get a comp. crawler. I love the look of scalers and want to make mine crawl. What would be a good gear set for some stupid high torque and low speed?
4NDR3W_6THG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

The 55t will help. Personally I use a 35t and try to keep outa the trigger unless needed. As far as gearing, I'm not sure what the TR Honcho comes with as I got the kit, but put a 14t pinion gear on the motor. Also since they are more top heavy than a comp rig the tend to want to roll back more too. I put the Overdrive gears in my front axle to help it grab before the a$$ end forced the front tires off the rock. Also 4 link the rear!!! I get more flex that way. Just recently put the 3 link hand bros kit on too but haven't tested.
All I know is that after you learn to drive it, mine can almost keep up with the comp rig.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The honcho can crawl quite well so don't worry. The 27t is a good motor but needs 3s to shine. I much prefer that over something like a 55t for wheel speed. I think you would probably be better off with a good hand wound 35t on it. The 55t is going to be really slow and lack needed wheel speed.

I would also cut out ever other lug if using the stock tires or look into the new proline TSL's for an aftermarket tire. They are said to hook up well with everything, wet, dry, rocks, dirt, etc. Honestly on dry rock the two face work extremely well for me though.

The bone stock honcho's do pretty well out of the box so it won't take much to improve it.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
The 55t will help. Personally I use a 35t and try to keep outa the trigger unless needed. As far as gearing, I'm not sure what the TR Honcho comes with as I got the kit, but put a 14t pinion gear on the motor. Also since they are more top heavy than a comp rig the tend to want to roll back more too. I put the Overdrive gears in my front axle to help it grab before the a$$ end forced the front tires off the rock. Also 4 link the rear!!! I get more flex that way. Just recently put the 3 link hand bros kit on too but haven't tested.
All I know is that after you learn to drive it, mine can almost keep up with the comp rig.

the RTR comes with a 20t pinion. Can you give me a link to a 4 link set? I also found this.

http://www.ehobbies.com/asc4615.html...mpaign=froogle
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Personally I wouldn't mess with the spur. Just get a 14t pinion and axial sells a 4 link kit. I am unsure what the part number is tho.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

4 linked rear, 40t Holmes Hobbies Hand wound
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

I didnt find that 4 link kit on axial's website. can someone just post a link please.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NDR3W_6THG3N View Post
I didnt find that 4 link kit on axial's website. can someone just post a link please.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax80043.htm
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
I think I have that tree. They gave me a spare tree for almost every suspension component. that isnt a 4 link setup though, right?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

If you have that 4 link axle truss on the tree it is. The links on the tree with it are ur upper and lower links. Just toss the Y shaped one.