Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want to get a first crawler. Budget = >$250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Default Want to get a first crawler. Budget = >$250

So I was at a friends house working on a project when we decided to take a break. He let me try his Losi MRC and Losi Micro Crawler and it was so much fun. I used to be in RC but quit because I got tired of always having something go wrong with my Rustler.

And now I want to get a crawler.

I'm 17 and a Senior in high school so money iskinds tight so my max budget is $250, but of course less would be better.

I already have a nice Li-Po charger and some batteries from my other hobby Airsoft, so I don't need to worry about buying those.

The crawlers I'm really looking at now are the Losi MRC (even though my friend recommends a 2.2) and the Venom Creeper.

The Venom Creeper really catches my eye because I like the fact that it is a kit and several sites have it for $125 or less shipped.
So with the Creeper being $125 that would leave me with give or take $125 to spend on Radio (may be bable to borrow cheap one), ESC, Motor, and Servo.

I would really like it if I could get a waterproof ESC since my dad is a landscaper and I have a small rock waterfall in my yard and would like to drive in the rain/mud. The Servo would just ve one of those cheap yet decent china MH955 Servos or whatever they are called from eBay which go for around $15 shipped. So that would be around $100 for the ESC/Motor.

Any help on what to do/get?
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You are spot on with the Creeper! I think that rig is at a great price point for beginners and it does have decent aftermarket part support for upgrades if you ever decide to get into competition. For its price it is hard to beat.

Obviously the AX10 is a solid choice as well but it's right at your budget max.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Check out your local craigslist for an axial ax10 or losi night crawler, you will be much happier with one of these than the venom creeper. Not only are they great beginner rigs but they have capabilities that are far better than the venom & aftermarket support is top notch.

My buddy picked up his slightly used axial from a local hobby shop ready to run with lipo battery for 220. My brother also just purchased a ready to run axial ax10 from Brians Hobbyland for like 240 shipped, you really cant beat that

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/AX90...TC-AX90011.htm

Go to the link, click add to cart, type in coupon code "Take 10" & click checkout. I beieve there is even free shipping too, trust me.....Do it!!!!
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #4

You could also purchase a star and browse the Classified section on the site. Usually can find a well built ax-10, mrc or a scx-10 for a good price.
kytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I would go with the MRC, You could find a used one on ebay/craigslist/RCC Classified for a really decent price like 150ish stock. There are an insane amount of upgrades that are all fairly cheap. And a well built 1.9 will crawl just about anything a 2.2 will. Either way no matter what you decide to get you are going to have a blast!.
megaherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
Check out your local craigslist for an axial ax10 or losi night crawler, you will be much happier with one of these than the venom creeper. Not only are they great beginner rigs but they have capabilities that are far better than the venom & aftermarket support is top notch.
So you've had all three?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

If i was you i would searck fo a rtc axial then plastic dip the esc and reciever plus the servo and its waterproof pluss you have all great parts for a bigger, better build in the future with the axles tranny and such.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The simple fact is ya ain't gonna get much for $250. Used is your best shot and I'd look for an axial.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Brian's Hobbyland i belive has scx-10 honcho (kit) for $250 check vendors section
chicostaxxs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Get a Axial they come in several different package types theres the RTR (ready to run) which is more of a rock racer coming with a 27t motor and the axles rnt locked, but it does come with everything to turn it into a full rock crawler. that cost about 230 and comes with everything to run except for batterys, then theres the RTC (ready to crawl) which is pretty much the same as the rtr but it comes with a 55t motor locked axles and a few little better upgrades and that has everything need except for batterys and thats about 250, theres also the kit version which is the same as the rtc but it does not come with any electronics which i think is about 220? if you want to get into scalers axial also offers great scalers and they come in RTR and as a kit, also another great crawler is the losi night crawler for 50 extra bucks, thats another great crawler to think of.
Axialfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
So you've had all three?
Seen them in action & have drove them. I still think the losi is a better rig out of the box than both but the price of the axial is hard to beat
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #12

i got a used ax10 for 160 and it was super clean and rtr minus radio so if you look around ebay and all you can find great deals, only thing about the ax10... the rock lizzards SUCK
kev_gti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I think 2.2 is the way to go there are alot more options for a 2.2 crawler and to me it seems like they are a better deal, and more competition in prices. There are not to may 1.9 crawlers that i can think of other than the losi and possibly tlt if you can find one. I have the losi micro and mini, cliff climber, a few wheely kings, a super-ish crawler, and even a modified mini lst, and out of the hole lot i like the wheely king the most. I am not saying you should get a wheely king, the choice is up to you, i just like the 2.2 the most. A 2.2 just seems like a more universal crawler beacuse it can be fun everywhere.
Now that i have said that here are a few 2.2's possibly in your budget that where not mentioned...

Redcat rs10 about $160 new completly rtr
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...-Scale-Crawler

Hpi crawler king $244 rtr (except battery) it is not the best crawler but can be mad into a pretty good one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXXKG0**&P=ML

Now if you do decide to get a kit here are some cheap electronics...

Moped v16r esc $30 i like them and they are cheap, but they ship from hong kong and they have no drag brake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOPED-ESC-Electr...ts_Accessories

Mg995 servo, the one you where talking about $9 shipped (you can find two for about $14-16 so you may want to order two and save, servos break)
http://cgi.ebay.com/MG995-Metal-Gear...ht_2095wt_1139

For the radio you could get a tq3 from traxxas on ebay, "buy it now" prices anywhere from $45-65, 65 being for 2.4ghz. Thats if you want dig or something in the future, or if you get the creeper you can add differential lockers.

Now the choice is up to you
Nic
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

imo I would go with the losi mrc or a ax-10 both seem really solid and I haven't seen may bad post's about either of them, the venom creeper it is a decent starter rig but you will begin to break a lot of things on it a week after I bought mine things started breaking and finally I bought an scx-10 and took the electronics out of the creeper and through it into a box seemed like a money pit but like I said just imo I'm sure which ever you get you will have a blast with just remember don't baby it run it like you stole it
rcmaniac78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

axials rock racer is around 200 bucks and ready to run and looks fast. not really a crawler by definition but a good basher. http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-2...2-p-16753.html and the ax10 ready to crawl http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-AX1...1-p-17397.html

I have the rs10 for 150 on ebay. it is ok for starters. lots of fun but has issues. might save yourself some headache with the axials. appear to be good rigs. the venom creaper appears to be descent for the money as well. but you need to decide if you want to get a shaft driven one or a motor on axles one. that is the biggest decission in my opinion. you already know how much you can spend so that is a non issue. there are cheap/free ways to waterproof stuff so i wouldnt worry about that yet. get the best rig you can afford. good luck man. stay in school.......you booze you lose.......pot is for plants........all advise i didnt listen too.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I, too, am looking to get into rock crawlers (and kind of an all-purpose "truck") for the same, exact budget. I have never had an Axial vehicle and have never ran a rock crawler so if I'm horribly misinformed, someone please tell me! I'm here to learn as much as I can and hopefully help others out too.

I've been checking out the Axial AX-10's for the past week or so. I liked the idea of the AX-10 RTR Rock Racer being able to "bash" around the backyard at a higher speed and also being able to swap out the front diff gears for the diff locker and swapping out the pinion gear to allow for actual rock crawling. The included electronics are also a bonus to me since I don't compete or anything like that.

That being said, I like the XC-1 crawler body, green beadlocks, shorter shocks, Pro-Line tires and memory foam that comes with the AX-10 RTC better. This opinion is based on what I've read on AxialRacing.com, these forums (though I wish I had more time to read them) and my own personal preference for appearance.

After studying the product pages and the manuals of both the RTC and the RTR; in order to build the RTC into the same type of "backyard basher" that the RTR appears to be these are the parts needed:

Front differential gear parts:
AX30390 (Two 10T Bevel Gears and Two 13T Bevel Gears needed per differential) ($6.69 at Tower Hobbies, includes all 4 gears for 1 differential)

AX30170 (One 3x22mm Shaft needed per differential) ($4.79 at Tower Hobbies, includes 2 shafts)

AXA1162 (Two 5x1mm O-Rings needed per differential) ($1.99 from "bmihobbies" on eBay, includes 10 O-Rings, $1.99 for shipping)

Other Parts:
AX30578 48DP 20T Pinion Gear ($4.79 at Tower Hobbies)
AX24004 27T Motor ($13.99 at Tower Hobbies)

If you sign up for the Tower Hobbies Super Saver Club (it's $9.99 per year IIRC) you can get free shipping on purchases over $150 and you gain access to better discount coupons. Two of the best discounts are $60 off of a purchase of $300 or more and $50 off of a purchase of $250 or more

So using my examples...

Tower Hobbies sells the RTR for about $249.99 so add a cheap item (or the super saver club membership if you don't already have it) to push it over the $250 mark and you get $50 back. $250 - $50 = $200 for the RTR

Tower Hobbies sells the RTC for about $269.99 and then add the 27t motor, 20T pinion gear, diff bevel gears and the diff gear shafts from Tower Hobbies and the O-rings from eBay and you have: ($300.25 - $60 discount) + $1.99 + $1.99 and you get $244.23.

Also, as mentioned, if you're into scale crawlers Tower Hobbies has the SCX-10 RTR trucks for about $300 which would be about $240 after the $60 discount.

Don't forget, if you don't already have the Super Saver Club then you'll have to add $9.99 to each of the prices.

For me, the benefits of the RTC to RTR "conversion" vs. the stock RTR are the XC-1 crawler body, shorter shocks, Pro-Line tires, memory foam inserts and green beadlocks (I like the style better too). Not only that but you have the 55t motor left over from the RTC.

The only thing I'm not sure about are the plastic links that come with both the RTR and the RTC...are they the same links or are the links that come with the RTC better? On the RTC product page it says "New stronger plastic links" and they physically look different from what's on the RTR but the manuals call out for the same part number.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

^^^^ LMAO ctracy are you an after school special? :P hehe but yeah man get what you can afford do the research go to a bunch of forums and ask questions but what ever you get make sure you have fun with it and don't be gentle!
rcmaniac78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't mentioned more, but I would suggest getting a decent servo if you go for a kit. Buying several cheap servos that might break is silly when you could just buy one better servo for the same cost. Something like a hitec 645mg or better would be a good choice.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #19

I think I'm going to go with the Losi MRC even though a 2.2 will be more capable I'll be able to get the "best" crawler in the 1/18-1.9" class. Then if I like crawling as much as I think I'm going to then I'll be able to justify spending the money on a Comp Crawler or XR10.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

A Losi MRC is as costly as an AX10, in my opinion. Once you get metal diff lockers, beadlocks, better tires/foams, better electronics, etc... you're more or less the same as a 2.2. The 2.2s are tougher and can cover more terrain. Axials are wicked tough and stupid fun.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY.
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote