Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #221
Jer
Rock Crawler

Anyone come across appropriately sized bodies? I can't seem to find any in 1:16 that would look normal. Not just crawler bodies, but trucks or jeeps or whatever.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #222
Rock Stacker

I think a 1/10 jeep and fj40 bodys are a direct fit.
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #223
Rock Crawler

Jer, I haven't looked for scaled bodies. But I would look in the MRC section. Since those are the same size as the EMS16. There are guys building scalers out of the MRC all day. There even is a scaled chassis for the MRC called the TCS Crawlers L-Trail TM. I would think it would be a almost direct cross over for the EMS.

Dizzle, My 4 link has not fixed all the TT. But it has helped a ton. Jebster says his is almost gone also. He is using a complete MRC chassis built for 4 link setups. Mine is just different upper links. You can look back in this thread for more pictures of both. I really like the 4 link and will not go back to the 3. Also your EMS is looking awesome!!!. I have to go meet my wife for lunch but I would like to get back with you about some of your mods. They are looking great.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #224
Rock Stacker

Found these little guys and a washer to add cheep wheel weight to my rig today
29 grams for $1.75 a wheel @ Acehardware.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0112.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0113.jpg
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #225

Talking

I was looking at this for my son also anyone know how hard it is to get replacement parts? i hate to always order parts
soslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #226
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soslowski View Post
I was looking at this for my son also anyone know how hard it is to get replacement parts? i hate to always order parts
ideally, its a pretty hard kit to find kits for. i have 5 LHS near me, but none of then actually has the parts for it, but they do sometimes sell the exceed kits.

IMO, if ordering parts doesnt work for you, id say go with something more expensive
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Anyone come across appropriately sized bodies? I can't seem to find any in 1:16 that would look normal. Not just crawler bodies, but trucks or jeeps or whatever.
I've got a 1:14 scale Jeep TJ body from the Fast Lane crawler that is perfect for these sized vehicles. Most of the 1:14 scale bodies will look fine on these, as well as some 1:12 and smaller 1:10 scale bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soslowski View Post
Really, the best place to get spares is nitrorcx.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
ideally, its a pretty hard kit to find kits for. i have 5 LHS near me, but none of then actually has the parts for it, but they do sometimes sell the exceed kits.

IMO, if ordering parts doesnt work for you, id say go with something more expensive
Here's the funny part; here in crawlerado, a state known for crawling, most LHS's usually don't have the parts I need for the MRC I have. I always have to order parts anyways, so the "more expensive" option is not going to guarantee the LHS near you will have the parts you need. (I ended up spending only $65 for my MRC, so it was the lesser expensive option compared to the EMS16, but was a rare find at that price.)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 AM   #228
I wanna be Dave

i have to concur on chosing a kit based on lhs support. i don't have a very good choice on lhs in the area so i might be a bad example but if have found they carry less variety of parts all the time. they would have parts for whatever is hot, but that makes sense. why maintain an inventory for something that moves slow or is rarely in demand.

i've made the choice to buy what vehicle is right for me and deal with ordering parts. there are lots of options online and some have fast service and low shipping costs. i don't comp so this works for me given i'm never in a position that i have to get a part by a set day.

just something to keep in mind!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #229
Rock Stacker

yikes! stripped the tranny gears last night.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle Chuucha View Post
yikes! stripped the tranny gears last night.
Oh no. What motor were you running?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #231
Rock Stacker

Just a stock Losi MRC motor......... I'm scared for all you Brushless guys.
I did this on a pile of pillows and was wedged in pretty tight. Not sure this would have happened in the rocks.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #232
Rock Crawler

Wow!!! Jebster and I have broken the c-hub over and over. Mine usually break while crawling inside and catch a blanket or pillow. Something soft. I'll have to watch out for the transmission. Goo thing a whole new tranny is only $20.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #233
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to get a quick picture up of my sons flatbed tow truck. It is done for the most part. Im not going to over detail it up because it is just his toy.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #234
RCC Addict

quick questions ,my son wants on and i was just wondering that it seems you guys are outting alot of extra cash into these things wouldnt it been better to get a better crawler were you woudnt have to put so much money into them. and how do you guys actually like them ,they seem cheaply put together and i know exceed has crappy CS.
thanks ron b
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #235
Rock Crawler

It does appear we are putting a lot of extra money into our EMSs. But that is just the hobby part. If you go over to the MRC section those guys are spend lots of money as well. Maybe even more because parts are more expensive and there is more trick stuff to try. So I don't think buying a more expensive rig right off is going to save you any money in the long run.
The crawlers seem to be durable enough. I'd buy another one. Nitro RCX is not known for their excellent customer service. If that is important to you buy a Losi. I hear they have go CS.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #236

i haven't put money into mine, but my tx is at nitrocx at the moment. i haven' broken mine, but i also haven't weighted the front wheels or driven it a ton.

now that the venom safari creeper is out i might have gotten that.
joelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #237
Rock Stacker

I have $84 + a $14 motor in mine that I have ran easily 30 battery cycles on before stripping the tranny which is $20 to replace the whole thing. I have driven mine on rocks, sand, snow, mud, pillows and have rolled it down the stairs a dozen times and is supper tough for $84. If you don't want it to break just leave in stock form.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #238
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
quick questions ,my son wants on and i was just wondering that it seems you guys are outting alot of extra cash into these things wouldnt it been better to get a better crawler were you woudnt have to put so much money into them. and how do you guys actually like them ,they seem cheaply put together and i know exceed has crappy CS.
thanks ron b

Are you willing to spend 300+ on a good crawler, that you son may not like?

Or

Are you willing to spend 99, then am extra 300 if your son likes it alot and wants to get a better crawler?

IMO the exceeds are hands down the best crawlers for beginners wwho don't know where to go in the hobby. These guys dish out money to get the most comparative EMS possible, like Toyota is working on a low budget build. However, the capability of these things IMO are too small for the amount of cash and modding needed.

So IMO I'd say, go buy the EMS, and see if your son likes it, if he does, I'd say let him wait for awhile, then order a good crawler that you can put money into.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #239
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
It does appear we are putting a lot of extra money into our EMSs. But that is just the hobby part. If you go over to the MRC section those guys are spend lots of money as well. Maybe even more because parts are more expensive and there is more trick stuff to try. So I don't think buying a more expensive rig right off is going to save you any money in the long run.
The crawlers seem to be durable enough. I'd buy another one. Nitro RCX is not known for their excellent customer service. If that is important to you buy a Losi. I hear they have go CS.

Not really, I haven't spent too much on my losi mrc. Yea, parts seem to cost alittle more with the mrc, but IMO they seem much more durable than exceed parts.

A guy I know who just got back into the hobby and bought the EMS. When I crawl with him, parts seem to be bound to break.

Losi, has mediocre CS. even then I feel alittle too generous. Their restrictions are alittle unfair IMO.

One example:
They state that an esc that turns on and runs, is okay, and warranty ends, and they won't replace it.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #240
I wanna be Dave

i can't compare to the MRC because i don't have one but the EMS has been pretty bulletproof for my son. he is not gentle at all. the only issue i had was with the front c-hub snapping, but that was because i pushed the steering angle way beyond what the parts could support. in total i've got about $200 in it, which isn't that much. a new MRC will run around $250. for the difference in price i've added a custom chassis, have 4-link suspension, brushless, etc. not too bad.
for me i thought a $200 investment in a crawler that performs well to see if my son will get hooked is pretty good!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote