Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #301
Rock Stacker

Heres my little tuber I built this week. Also added a brushless system.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0163.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0164.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0166.jpg
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #302
Rock Crawler

Killer buggy!!! I've been wanting to do that to mine but I don't have the skills. Thanks for showing us.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #303
I wanna be Dave

agreed! i love the look of tubers. i considered the the tcs eclipse for the mrc as the next potential project but i'm more likely to invest in another crawler.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #304
Rock Crawler

How well do these hold up in stock form? I would like to purchase one for my daughter to enjoy. I know there isn't much of a direct aftermarket parts supply for these, but a lot of crawler stuff is self sourced for repairs/upgrades.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #305
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle Chuucha View Post
you call us clones and this is what you come up with
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #306
Rock Stacker

That's why I named it the " maxclone" bitch! Not sure how a maxstone 16 and a 1 off tuber makes me clone.

T trucks and jeb be happy to make ones for ya....... remember I'm Rick James.

Last edited by Dizzle Chuucha; 03-12-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Miss spell and added text
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #307

Have one coming in tomorrow, pretty excited. glad to find a place with alot of knowledge and heart. looking forward to making some mods with all your guys ideas. great work by the way to everyone. really made me feel good about my purchase!
DWinnIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #308
Rock Stacker

What size is the stock steering servo on this thing... smaller than a standard servo for sure! Is it considered a mini or a micro?

I got my boy's truck fixed all up for his birthday. It's got a steel truck body on it that I painted up like an army truck. Turned out pretty slick! I'll have to get a few pics on here.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #309
Rock Stacker

Default maxclone tuber

Ok so got the droop shocks dialed by a thread AB had answered in the MRC section. I used 2 pen springs in the front between the piston and the housing to make the shocks suck back in. On the back I cut the spring in half to suck the shock back together. The springs also limit suspension travel perfictly and the maxclone is really stable. Here some more pics.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0176.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0172.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0174.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0177.jpg
Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #310

hey fellas just an fyi i just installed some losi cvds in my exceed maxstone 1/16th
worked out to be fairly simple about 30 minutes if you count the time spent b s ing with my buddy about it. but all i did was take the bearings off the stock exceed axle shafts and install them in the housing the with a good file i squared off the rounded ends of the losi cvds until they were a tigh fit in the differential. pay close attention because i foudn that actually instead of making the whole end the same width as the losis already keyed end. i found a hair thicker was just right to fit tightly in the spool without any slop. also there are tiny tits on the end of the axle shaft these can be shaved down a hair. it may not be nescesery however it looked it to me when i was eyeballing it. now there are two aviot to this mod one should be aware of. one is the losi uses a smaller diameter axle pin then the exceed. so i will most likely run losis wheel hexes. or you could drill out the axles to accept the larger exceed pins. also the outer bearing on the axle housing doesnt get a full surface contact with the shoulder of the axle on the cvds. it still looks to be about a 32nd of an inch contact area though and time will tell for sure but i think it will be good enough. anyway. if i get time tomorrow i will try to post a pic of the modified axles. also were definitely limited by the stock knuckles for turning angle though but with some shaving it is possible to get a very respectable turning angle.
jereosbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #311
Rock Crawler

Jereosbou, I would love to see pictures of this mod. I have some Losi CVDs that I bought to try to get them to fit in the EMS.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #312
Rock Stacker

I'm seriously thinking about putting some LED's into the empty headlight sockets... Wire them up to where the LED is on the ESC that glows whenever you're going forwards or backwards.

Last edited by billybob_81067; 03-15-2011 at 01:34 AM.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #313
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
How well do these hold up in stock form? I would like to purchase one for my daughter to enjoy. I know there isn't much of a direct aftermarket parts supply for these, but a lot of crawler stuff is self sourced for repairs/upgrades.
i would say it will hold up pretty well in stock form if you are just wanting to let your daughter get use to driving an rc crawler around. if you want to get better performance out of it (reduce torque twist, more speed/power, better climbing, etc.) you can make some modifications that will help alot without sinking too much money in it. if you decide to go with the maxstone 16 be sure to post up any questions you might have.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #314
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok so got the droop shocks dialed by a thread AB had answered in the MRC section. I used 2 pen springs in the front between the piston and the housing to make the shocks suck back in. On the back I cut the spring in half to suck the shock back together. The springs also limit suspension travel perfictly and the maxclone is really stable. Here some more pics.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0176.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0172.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0174.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0177.jpg
looking nice! adam from AB Designs is great. the chassis on my son's maxstone 16 is from adam.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #315
I wanna be Dave

i was curious about what qualifies a product to get it's own thread on rccrawler.com. i love the site and participate in several forums but having the exceed products buried in the newbie general forum may be limiting the number of people that research or consider these rigs. seems like there are a lot of people out there getting maxstone crawlers as a budget vehicle to start off in the hobby. i would suggest we at least get an exceed products forum. i don't think a separate forum for each product is necessary.

anyone else have thoughts on this?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #316
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i was curious about what qualifies a product to get it's own thread on rccrawler.com. i love the site and participate in several forums but having the exceed products buried in the newbie general forum may be limiting the number of people that research or consider these rigs. seems like there are a lot of people out there getting maxstone crawlers as a budget vehicle to start off in the hobby. i would suggest we at least get an exceed products forum. i don't think a separate forum for each product is necessary.

I agree. I understand exceed makes very entry level crawlers. But a vehicle specific section would be helpful on this forum. We get tons of newbies asking questions in here, which is fine, and I think specific section would make it so we could spread out some info. This thread is like 16 pages long. No one wants to browse all that for a specific question. And I think just an exceed section would be fine. No need to separate all the models. How do we make this happen?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #317
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster

I agree. I understand exceed makes very entry level crawlers. But a vehicle specific section would be helpful on this forum. We get tons of newbies asking questions in here, which is fine, and I think specific section would make it so we could spread out some info. This thread is like 16 pages long. No one wants to browse all that for a specific question. And I think just an exceed section would be fine. No need to separate all the models. How do we make this happen?
Agreed!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #318
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Cloned!
Maybe we need a clone section?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #319
Quarry Creeper

Talking ecxeed rc crawlers

i talked to a moderator and he said it would be very hard to get a thread for the exceeds.he said just keep the other threads buried in exceed talk and maybe we could get one so i started the exceed rc pic thread.everybody just keep up the good work and maybe soon. billy g.
creepr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #320
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post

Because everything about the failstone fits in one thread?
FathomThis is offline   Reply With Quote