Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffquest View Post
at half turn or more the pin in the axle shaft comes out of the groove in the outer shaft. this has cause one of the inners to jump out of the outer then the wheel binds and snaps. also it has now worn the outer. I've switch the worn outer to the rear for now, but hoped someone had a fix for this. i plan on building a jeep liberty scaler with this and was wanted a permanent repair before going out scaling. plus i have a vilenium 380 setup for this. (needed to be water proof, we're not afraid to go swimming). can't imagine how quick that'll pop the shafts apart if its happening with the dinky motor in there now.
i took the housings apart and can't seem to imagine how to shim the inner shaft outboard a couple mm's. non of the dogbone pins are centered in the outer's groove

sorry for being longwinded, any help would be nice.
do you have a pic? i'm not quite sure what your referring to. if it is the cvd joint and the pin your talking about is the one that holds the two sides of the cvd together i'm not sure their is an easy fix. sounds like a problem with the original parts. could you post a pic?
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

got out of crawling and into shortcourse last year but been eying this truck for 80 bucks figured it might be fun to toy with. I had amore fun modding and working on my crawler before than running it. LOL
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
got out of crawling and into shortcourse last year but been eying this truck for 80 bucks figured it might be fun to toy with. I had amore fun modding and working on my crawler before than running it. LOL
i'm the same way. i really enjoy working on the rig. not that running it around isn't a blast. as you mentioned for $80 and some cheap changes this is a pretty capable little crawler. i want to see someone's losi MRC to see how much better that is in comparison. all i have to do is wait until x-mas for my son to open it up so we can play with it again!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #24

Hey guys i need some advice on a new steering servo. I was out driving it and out of now where I lost steering. I still have throtle and if I change the wires on the esc I can turn the wheel on the controler and the motor spins the tires. Does this sound like a lost the servo motor? If so what would be a good replacement for under /around $30. Will any servo fit this or does it need to be a mini? ckrccrawlers has a cheap on for like $19...
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-spe...vo-p-3023.html
What do you all think?
kirbybuilt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybuilt54 View Post
Hey guys i need some advice on a new steering servo. I was out driving it and out of now where I lost steering. I still have throtle and if I change the wires on the esc I can turn the wheel on the controler and the motor spins the tires. Does this sound like a lost the servo motor? If so what would be a good replacement for under /around $30. Will any servo fit this or does it need to be a mini? ckrccrawlers has a cheap on for like $19...
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-spe...vo-p-3023.html
What do you all think?
sounds like a dead servo to me. i know when my stock servo craps out i'm going to swap in a hitec 645mg i have in my venom creeper and upgrade the creeper servo. the 645mg is around $30-35. it is a standard size servo so i will probably have to make a new servo plate. i haven't looked at how much torque the mini servos have but i would question whether you would just be dumping money into another servo that is going to burn out. i would guess a high torque mini is going to cost quite a bit.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #26

i think i got my axle popping apart issue figured out. i can add a shim between the outer axle joint and the inner bearing on the knuckle.

now, has anyone found different spur gears to fit this trans. took mine to local hobby shop, but couldn't find one to match up the bolt pattern. i need a larger one than factory so it wont be as fast as my 1/16 vxl slash .
auffquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i think i got my axle popping apart issue figured out. i can add a shim between the outer axle joint and the inner bearing on the knuckle.

now, has anyone found different spur gears to fit this trans. took mine to local hobby shop, but couldn't find one to match up the bolt pattern. i need a larger one than factory so it wont be as fast as my 1/16 vxl slash .
what size pinion gear are you running? the factory (15T) pinion? you might want to first try a smaller pinion gear. probably easier to find than a new spur gear. right now i've trimmed my throttle down so it slows things down. not the ideal solution but until i get a smaller pinion (i'm thinking 12 or 13T) it should work.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #28

I'm going to run the vilenium 380 system in mine. the motor is larger in diameter so right now it is tight against the trans and a 20t pinion is the smallest i can get to reach the spur. I'm afraid that's going to be too much speed for a scaler. Also i'd like to be able to gain some more torque. i haven't got to see where the speed and torque are right now as the motor is too larger to fit into the factory frame and i haven't finished my scaler frame. but looking for options so i can tune it if need be.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #29

Wow it's a real crawler that's for sure! and love the fact it's only $84!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUvPSVy_-8
matnic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

i think it needs some work but it does seem reasonably capable for the price. x-mas can't get here soon enough!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

a quick update. adam of AB Designs has put together a bodiless chassis for the MRC. after taking a few measurements we worked out that the maxstone 16 and MRC have almost all the same dimensions. so i'm planning on upgrading to his bodiless chassis kit. (AB Design - "M"VP Chassis). once i get it installed (after x-mas because this rig is really my son's ) i'll post some pics.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #32
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
what size pinion gear are you running? the factory (15T) pinion? you might want to first try a smaller pinion gear. probably easier to find than a new spur gear. right now i've trimmed my throttle down so it slows things down. not the ideal solution but until i get a smaller pinion (i'm thinking 12 or 13T) it should work.
assostiated pinion for the 18b should fit

12t is a perfect place to start at

Increasing the spur will mean a tight fit next to the drive shaft and spur.
Just drop pinion size

Have you guys tried the losi mrc trans and axle gears to see if its a fit yet???
If they are the same,then this is a great doner truck indeed

Though I would question if the axle housing material truely is the same quality.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #33

well i can't go to a smaller pinion because the motor is tight against the trans as it is. However i did get to play with it at our 2.2 comp. it's not too fast and had enough torque to break an outer axle stub. not really liking the vxl speed control on a scaler though. too hard to stop and change directions. i'd love to get pics, but camera is full and i'm not good with posting pics. i'll try though as soon as my wife prints all the pics she wants. wanted to do a build thread. may still.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #34
dnf

Quote:
well i can't go to a smaller pinion because the motor is tight against the trans as it is. However i did get to play with it at our 2.2 comp. it's not too fast and had enough torque to break an outer axle stub. not really liking the vxl speed control on a scaler though. too hard to stop and change directions. i'd love to get pics, but camera is full and i'm not good with posting pics. i'll try though as soon as my wife prints all the pics she wants. wanted to do a build thread. may still.
What motor is it???

when it goes out,you should consider a holmes 33t if its a scaler
The 33t has gobs of torque,and with a 14t pinion will still have fair speed.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

the brushless motor i installed is a smaller diameter than the stock motor so i think i should have enough room to slide the motor over enough to use a smaller pinion gear. something to consider.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
What motor is it???

when it goes out,you should consider a holmes 33t if its a scaler
The 33t has gobs of torque,and with a 14t pinion will still have fair speed.

traxxas vilenium 380.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
the brushless motor i installed is a smaller diameter than the stock motor so i think i should have enough room to slide the motor over enough to use a smaller pinion gear. something to consider.

SMALLER THAN STOCK!!! thats so cute..

though yeah you have more gearing choices than i do right now
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #38
dnf

Thats alot of motor for a crawler IMO

you can get a 62t spur from hr to help gear down

I would consider a brushed motor,if its a sclaler it will run a touch heavy in comparison to a 1.9 comp rig.

The brake of a brushed motor makes crawling more fun IMO
cuz it actually hold like I expect it too.

I run a tekin B1R esc with a 17t motor
For a sclaer though,the holmes 33t would be perfect IMO
Old 12-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
Thats alot of motor for a crawler IMO

you can get a 62t spur from hr to help gear down

I would consider a brushed motor,if its a sclaler it will run a touch heavy in comparison to a 1.9 comp rig.

The brake of a brushed motor makes crawling more fun IMO
cuz it actually hold like I expect it too.

I run a tekin B1R esc with a 17t motor
For a sclaer though,the holmes 33t would be perfect IMO
i agree that there are better options for motors. i don't comp and i'm not making a scaler. i picked mine because i wanted more wheelspeed and wanted to run lipos for long run time. getting a motor/esc delivered for $40 wasn't a bad deal. i haven't tested the drag brake much but given this rig is for my son he is more interested in driving around and going over some fairly level rocky terrain and steep vertical climbs. once he opens it up for x-mas we'll get to see how it performs. at a minimum i see this as an inexpensive platform to start with and make upgrades as needed.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #40

got a few pics of my maxstone 16 in progress of a scaler