Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #381
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info, also will 1.9 work with these axles without making the tires look huge compared to the axles
lil wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #382
Rock Stacker

Default body for ems?

hey everyone, im getting a ems 16th for my girl friend, im going to scale it out for her so she can crawl with me and all our friends scx10's

i have this body off an old tamiya, not sure what it was, but i drove the crap outa it when i was younger

im hopping to make a more scaler/ woods truck, like the scx10, i dont expect it to be as strong though

anyways
think it will come close to fitting ?

wheel base measure what about 8.5 inches

stompjrkz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #383
Rock Crawler

Stomp, that looks like it will make a great scaler body for the EMS. I would suggest making new TVP out of something like 1/8" plastic that looks more like scale frame. You could then mount the shocks more up and down like a real truck. I found sheets of plastic on amazon for under $5. Oh and on all my EMS trucks the stock servo took a dump. I would suggest upgrading that and letting your girlfriend run it with with the big scalers. The venom fireball is a nice fast motor for $10 that will get you some speed for keeping up with the big trucks without limiting crawel speeds.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #384
Rock Stacker

does venom make a fireball 280? or what size is it an where would i find it, im ordering the crawler right now, and whats tvp? im guessing your talking about building scale chassis plate?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #385
Rock Stacker

i found a fireball 370, will that squeeze in? and will the stock esc take the bigger motor?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #386
Rock Crawler

It is the 370. It fits perfect. And the stock ESC work just fine. I never noticed mine getting hot. Even with 2s lipos. (external bec I needed with a lipo. Hobbypartz has them for like $6.)
Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #387
Rock Crawler

TVP= twin vertical plates. You are correct that it is the chassis. The EMS has that nice aluminum chassis, it is just not scale and it mounts the stocks very inward. A new chassis in not manditory at all. If you can find a way to mount the body so it covers most the chassis who cares what the chassis looks like. If I were building a scaler for my wife out of a EMS 16 I would do it as cheap as possible. So I'd just find a way to mount the body replace the servo with an upgrade after it breaks and the venom motor so it isn't painfully slow.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #388
Rock Crawler

I don't want to lead you down a money pit road. Keep it cheap and simple or you be pissed you spent all that money. I have a $200 EMS 16 and my $200 MRC pro spanks it. (you can still find the MRC pro roller for $70) I have other exceed products and they are great starters into the hobby and cheap. Just don't try to upgrade them to far or they become money pits.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #389
Rock Stacker

i could make some very nice tvps at the sheet metal shop i work at, just plot them out on autocad and cut a nice aluminum set, but im going to try to keep it simple, its for my girlfriend not me, she doesnt like the stock body, and liked this jeep body, i plan on running the 370 motor, with a bec and 2000mah venom lipo, its one of the lipos made to fit the mini e revos

i ordered all spare steering hardware, and carriers, now im gunna order up a motor, im trying not to go crazy spending, but i my guess is this truck isnt going to hold up as good as my scx10
Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #390

Default My first mod - eliminate the TT

Hello everyone ,i bought the MS 16 for my first crawler and i have been reading all the great tips and upgrades, i`m another real noob, but i learn fast and i`m eager to improve this truck, after i get some experience upgrading this one i`m getting into the 1/10 scale arena, but as for this guy i`ve seen several ways to eliminate TT and i need to ask , the different length links ,are they sold retail in specific lengths or have you modified the lengths.
Here comes a real noob question , do you use a special tool to remove links from ball stands or do they just pop off with finger pressure

I`ve been to Nitrorcx where i bought it but their parts are limited to just stock replacement parts ,where do you by your new links from ?

Thank for your pateince with such basic questions but i didn`t get to see ,from all the great pics, how these links were actually removed .

I`ve gotten a lot of great advice here from everyone , and i will ad some pics as i go along for more tips for you to see and advise on.

Thanks again

Last edited by Rock_Diggn_Don; 11-15-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Rock_Diggn_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #391
Rock Stacker

ok i tried the body out, put it in place

i decided i wanted to go more scale looking, soo i spent a while working out some aluminum brackets, with all aluminum hardware, came out pretty nice, body sits 2 high, but without it the crawler is much better, i got rid of alot of the articulation, for the piles i crawl on that much makes it roll to easy

now im going to upgrade the motor, i found a 370 losi motor at the hobby store, think its for a mini latemodel, and regear for a little more wheel speed

im super happy with the articulation, its much more like my modded scx10, i need to figure out how to widen it a little, and im going to weight the wheels a little, ill keep everyone posted
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #392
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Diggn_Don View Post
Hello everyone ,i bought the MS 16 for my first crawler and i have been reading all the great tips and upgrades, i`m another real noob, but i learn fast and i`m eager to improve this truck, after i get some experience upgrading this one i`m getting into the 1/10 scale arena, but as for this guy i`ve seen several ways to eliminate TT and i need to ask , the different length links ,are they sold retail in specific lengths or have you modified the lengths.
Here comes a real noob question , do you use a special tool to remove links from ball stands or do they just pop off with finger pressure

I`ve been to Nitrorcx where i bought it but their parts are limited to just stock replacement parts ,where do you by your new links from ?

Thank for your pateince with such basic questions but i didn`t get to see ,from all the great pics, how these links were actually removed .

I`ve gotten a lot of great advice here from everyone , and i will ad some pics as i go along for more tips for you to see and advise on.

Thanks again
not sure what size u would need (all my stuff is 1/10) but u can get some all thread (like 4-40 size i am guessing) and aluminum tubin that fits over that snuggly and cut and bend ur own i found that bending the links at the axle ends helps alot with gettin over stuff especially when crawling straight up
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #393
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

homemade snow plow and tire chains i made for my maxstone 16.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...7/DSCN0488.jpg

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...7/DSCN0487.jpg

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...7/DSCN0486.jpg

just if u wer curious...
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #394
Rock Stacker

This is my EMS.

- 4 link suspension
- Custom Chassis (From Cutting board posted earlier)
- lowered body and electronics
- filed axle bumper mounts down
- weighted front and rear tires, (double in front)
- castle b.e.c. (for rear steering setup)
- Traxxas servo
- Cut tires and foams
- made steering links aluminum
- re-mounted shocks

e_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #395
Rock Stacker

i was wanting to see if any of you have any other ideas for getting rid of the TT. the four link and, relocating the shocks helped allot, but i still have a little bit of TT. any ideas comment back please.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #396
Quarry Creeper

Why are you useing a castle bec. Like what do they dO. I kno nothing about them.. Please explain
Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #397
Quarry Creeper

POP OUT FIX..!

Maxstone 16 Pop Out Fix Video - YouTube
Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #398
Rock Stacker

i was using the BEC because of the second servo i was running for the rear steering. it basically sends power directly from the battery to the servos, or the motor, what ever is needing the power at the time without overloading the ESC, it essentially bypasses the ESC. when i tried running two servos with the stock ESC, without the BEC, it worked for a while but eventually fried the ESC. so the BEC is only really needed for running two servos or bigger motors. i am new to the BEC thing too though so this is just my understanding how it works. if anyone can find additional info about them PLEASE POST! i recently installed a venom fireball 370 motor. fit perfect and the old pinion gear fit too. it made it have ALOT more wheel speed lol.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #399
Rock Stacker

there is a much easier way to fix this. just get a washer that will fit on the wheel axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #400
Rock Stacker

i could post pictures if you don't know what i mean, it is a much easier fix than splitting the axles. all you have to do is take off the c hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_w_b View Post
there is a much easier way to fix this. just get a washer that will fit on the wheel axle.