Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #421
Rock Crawler

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

i haven't read the entire thread, but im guessing its safe to say these are ok little trucks.
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #422
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropstep View Post
Ive been playing with a maxstone16 for about a month now and aside from the esc catching on fire and drowning my receiver its been a fun truck. today i broke the stock servo arm rolling it down a hill. Im a newb and the part that nitro rc carry's as a replacement looks nothing like the factory one, so does anyone know of a replacement that fits the stock servo output shaft? i can measure for length my biggest worry while looking at them is weather or not the output shaft on the servo is the same size as a shaft on a full scale servo.
Other then that ive had a blast with the little truck, it see's more mud and dirt then rocks becuase its what i have to play in locally and so far it has taken it like a champ. after reading this i may look into a motor upgrade for more wheelspeed becuase its the one thing i feel it lacks.

tdlr: who sells a servo arm that fits the stock servo? if no one knows ill probably order the replacement from nitrorc and figure it out.
i would suggest getting a 1/10 scale servo. you will have to widen the original servo plate for it to fit, but it will be worth it. i have traxxas high torque servo on mine. and i was snapping the plastic servo arms too so i got an aluminum servo arm. no problems since.
e_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #423

finally found a hard body for my rig, will post pics when done painting and of 10th scale servo upgrade too. Had electronics issues as well so I now have a novak mongoose and losi frenzy 370. Probably going to replace radio as well, anyone have any experience with that Gt3b radio nitrorc sells? Motor fit well minimal massaging was needed to install. No wheel speed problems now had to turn down my epa, my buddy is running a stock esc and the 370, broke both drive shafts yesterday. These trucks are awesome for the price and laid out well for repairs, parts are cheap, sucks you have to order but from what I've been reading no local hobby stores carry tons of parts for the MRC either.
mytuner2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #424
Quarry Creeper

How many teeth does the stock servo horn have???? I don't use a servo saver like the pictures (mine never came with one)
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #425
Quarry Creeper

I also have the fly sky gt3b tx, it is a good buy (and recievers are only 7$!!!) it has alot of programability and its nice the antenna folds down flat. it is a little heavy cuz of the 8 batteries but all around very nice for the price.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #426
Rock Stacker

i have never used a servo saver. it is not something u dont want to use with a crawler/scaler. please post pics of the new fly sky gt3b tx. i use a traxxas servo and mod the original servo plate to fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
How many teeth does the stock servo horn have???? I don't use a servo saver like the pictures (mine never came with one)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #427
Rock Stacker

i dont know the specs of the stock servo because it its garbage.
Quote:
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #428
Rock Stacker

and mine never came with a servo saver either man. i sent a complaint because it didn't look like the one in the picture on the website, and they just said they are not liable for the pictures on the nitrorcx, website. that is when i immediately upgraded to a 1/10 Traxxas servo i had laying around.
Quote:
Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #429

here are our rigs painted, with scale goods, will post servo in a few.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #430

does anyone know of a driveshaft upgrade that's not green and not $ 42.00? Will mrc center driveshaft from like integy work?
and here is the servo,not hard to do at all bought it from nitrorcx too was only $8 far better than stock but nothing to write home about, we have new metal gear servos coming.

Last edited by mytuner2002; 05-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #431

Last week I ordered this for my coworkers son and received it today, pretty impressed by this little truck. Only downside so far is apparently they packed the wrong charger with mine, or the wrong adapter. The plugs on the charger are twice the size of the ones on the truck.

But, the battery did have some juice in it, so I toyed around with it for about 20 minutes or so before putting it away.. First time playing with a crawler of any sort, and this thing is so cool. It's been raining outside here for days, so a little basement course of work boots, sneakers, and my revo/maxx wheels and tires was a fun little testing ground. Definitely going to be ordering one (probably the maxstone 10, or mad torque for myself.

Following the thread I'm gonna do as many of the free/cheap mods I can do before handing it over to him. You guys are amazing with some of the things you come up with.

Also, I just have to add, to nitrorcx. I contacted them after I noticed the charger issue to ask if there was an adapter or something I could purchase to remedy the issue I was having, and they promptly replied that they were going to ship out the correct charger asap, and even told me I didn't have to send the incorrect one back.
sedative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #432

Pictures from todays rc adventure, had a blast. drown both trucks and they are still running!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #433
Quarry Creeper

Cool pics, thanks for posting them! Looks like you guys are having a blast .
Ace138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #434

Maybe its just me, but how does one get the stock shock mounts off, so I can make my own brace to attach them to the chassis?

I've tried, scratched the brace that goes between the ball ends because they won't unscrew.

They spin freely but the ball ends will just not come out.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #435

Also, I just tried using acetone to remove the tire from the wheel, since for some reason they gave us bead locks and still glued them on..

Well, let me just say.. Acetone and these stock wheels, Get along like me and my ex girlfriend. Not well.

I stretched the tires away from the wheel as far as I could and dipped a qtip in acetone, and ran it around the contact point for the wheel and tire, like I usually do.. Not a good idea.

The acetone ate the plastic wheel and disintegrated it, now it's unusable.

So, it looks like I'll be ordering another pair of wheels/tires and NOT attempt to separate them to add weight.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedative View Post
Maybe its just me, but how does one get the stock shock mounts off, so I can make my own brace to attach them to the chassis?

I've tried, scratched the brace that goes between the ball ends because they won't unscrew.

They spin freely but the ball ends will just not come out.
just use vise grips and nut driver that fits should come off.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #437

Vice grips are what scratched the anodized brace the first time, but I'll try a socket on it and see if it'll change the effect. I already put a little 3 in 1 on it to hopefully help loosen it up.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #438
Rock Stacker

Hello all,

what a wonderful thread, excellent information and I missed it. It started pretty much when I stumbled across the maxstone 1/16 in early 2010 and gave it a try. Back then there was hardly any information to be found on it, there might even be a thread started by me back then.

Anyway, still tons of great ideas that I have just now read and look forward to try out. If I may join with some of the things I found out about it. Ever wondered that the set comes with a 3 CH receiver?

CH3 can be activated. It is a 2 way switch, delivering 15ms not connected and 20ms if bridged. So your servo will be in the center position and when switched turn to one of the end points (I use an electronic switch for running lights and some flashers, just had to bear in mind to program so it would react to it in the appropiate way). Still great.

Take the Tx housing apart (couple of screws, peel off the plastic sticker)

Right where the CH1 and CH2 are running onto the main board there are the points for the CH3. I soldered some pins onto it and tried out which ones to connect (if it was a proportional channel a potentiometer would have made sense, but it is just a switch channel, so you only need a simple toggle or on-off switch). To the right you see the two wires for CH3, CH1 and CH2 are to the left side.

Blurry in the foreground, a simple toggle switch. In the background to the left you may depict the throttle potentiometer.

Try it out (with a servo?) before bolting everything back together, and you have a channel for switching at almost no cost. As said mine is for switching lights

cheers,

braq
braq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #439

Braq, mine came with a 4 channel receiver and a little different radio, couldn't see it good, but I could use a 3rd channel for lights so I will be taking apart my radio and trying it. Is there any reason you would have to re-bind them? What else is done to your rig doesn't look stock? Also some of the replacement parts we ordered looked used, well not used but like they had been assembled and then canibalized to complete our order, think that they use whatever overstock they have to build theses, hence the price!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #440
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytuner2002 View Post
Braq, mine came with a 4 channel receiver and a little different radio, couldn't see it good, but I could use a 3rd channel for lights so I will be taking apart my radio and trying it. Is there any reason you would have to re-bind them? What else is done to your rig doesn't look stock? Also some of the replacement parts we ordered looked used, well not used but like they had been assembled and then canibalized to complete our order, think that they use whatever overstock they have to build theses, hence the price!!!
Hi,
seems that they switched the Tx/Rx gear at some point then. I bought 4 sets in mid 2010, all came with the 3CH Rx. Give it a try, chances are good that you will find at least CH3 on the Tx mainboard, maybe even CH4?
I did not have to bind them, all you are doing is to actually apply an additional signal to the mainboard. You might even try to connect one of the potentiometers (from CH1 or CH2) to CH3 and check if they switched from a simple on-off capability to a full proportional channel,

cheers braq
braq is offline   Reply With Quote