Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

looks nice. what did you use to make your rear lockouts?
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
you think losi MRC parts (shocks, wheels, motors, etc) would work with the maxstone 16?
i have been tinkering with one and it seems that most the mrc parts fit the axle
uglysami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglysami View Post
i have been tinkering with one and it seems that most the mrc parts fit the axle
i'm thinking the same thing. each picture i look at on the mrc threads seems to show the same size/shaped components. once my son starts breaking things my first choice will be to replace with losi parts. i'll keep this thread updated.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #44

I picked up one of these this last week. So far I have lowered the body posts and put the heavy springs on the rear. also had to shorten the drive shafts about 3mm to get full upward wheel travel.
I still need to lower my cg, remove axel guards, add wheel weights and lower the body some more.
joelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
looks nice. what did you use to make your rear lockouts?
1/2 pvc pipe. perfect fit. trimmed the steering knuckles down to fit inside, then epoxied them into the tube.
auffquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffquest View Post
1/2 pvc pipe. perfect fit. trimmed the steering knuckles down to fit inside, then epoxied them into the tube.
nice idea. i'm also looking to see if mrc lockout are the same size.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #47

i'm really interested to know to about the losi parts. i broke an outer axle stub the other day, but my lhs didn't stock losi parts to try one.

BTW nitrorcx.com has free shipping right now if anyone needs/wants parts.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

if i end up getting any losi parts i'll post it here.

by the way, i've been reading up on ways to take the wheels off the rims. i want to add some weights up front but they are glued on. from what i've read there aren't many ways to do it without damaging either the tires or rims. if anyone looking at this thread have had luck, in particular with the maxstone 16, please post up your tricks.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #49

no good luck with removing the tires from the rims without some damage. i tried boiling them. so so. i did tear the beads a little. remember though, you only have to remove ONE bead per tire to either remove the foam, and/or weight the wheels.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybuilt54 View Post
I have had mine for just over 3 weeks now and have run through the battery about 10 times now. The only problem I have had was the little pin in the driveline was pushing out. A little dab of super glue and haven't had anyother issues. I has worked great. Probably the most fun $100 I have spent in a while. Now I am working on lowering it. I just finished setting it up as 90% droop. I'll find out tonight how well it works.
no springs?
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

I've never tried it but I hear using the oven will work. Just don't put them in the oven while it's turned on. Preheat to 400º then turn it off and put the tires/rims in for 15 minutes. This is just something I found online, I've never tried it personally so attempt at your own risk.

I've also heard boiling does work but it could take up to a hour.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

i ended up just peeling and cutting one side off. not pretty but they seem to have enough of a bead left to lock it in. for now i put in 1 oz of lead on each front wheel to get a little extra weight up front. i'm able to get up a traction board at 55 deg. not bad.

it is still a little coggy at low speeds but i think that is just the way the brushless system i put in works. i did slap on a 11T pinion to gear it way down to help, which it does make the low end better.

i'll get some pics up next time i have the camera with me.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
"it is still a little coggy at low speeds but i think that is just the way the brushless system i put in works."
Was coggy mean?
Any Idea how much more wheel speed you have obtained?

MY son and I are working on his. So far we have flipped the electronics tray 180 degrees, Reconfigured our batterie pack to fit on the front axel, Defoamed the tires (think it worked better in back with foam), shaved the axels,put one stiffer spring on the drivers side rear with more oil (no more major TT), greased everything and painted the body. We order the motor your using as well.
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle Chuucha View Post
Was coggy mean?
Any Idea how much more wheel speed you have obtained?

MY son and I are working on his. So far we have flipped the electronics tray 180 degrees, Reconfigured our batterie pack to fit on the front axel, Defoamed the tires (think it worked better in back with foam), shaved the axels,put one stiffer spring on the drivers side rear with more oil (no more major TT), greased everything and painted the body. We order the motor your using as well.
i'm not sure i'm using the right term but but coggy for me means that at really low speeds the throttle is a little jerky, not nice and smooth. it can be a little bit of an issue when your trying to move the rig gently up an obstacle.

i'm not sure how much more wheelspeed my son's crawler has now because i dial it down (he's a little trigger happy). i know it can outrun my venom creeper, but that isn't saying too much.

i'll post some pics of my current setup later.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

I'm really interested in your Maxstone16 build. I just bought one for me and for my 4 year old son. I modified mine to a 4 link already and it seems to be working great. I'm glad to see I found someone else on here that is building up on a 16.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

i'm waiting until i get the new chassis to convert over to a 4-link suspension but i'm sure that will improve performance a lot. if you have some pics of your setup feel free to post them in this thread since there is no forum for the maxstones. i'd like to see how you set up your rig.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

I would like to post some pictures for you. I have some. Stupid thing is I don't know how. Let me look around and see if I can figure this out.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

It says down at the bottom of my "post reply" page under "posting rules" that "You may not post attachments".
I don't know if this is because I'm a newbie or what.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Post them on photobucket, then copy and paste the link into your post.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

When you click on the picture you are trying to post, you are given 4 choices, you want to use the IMG code.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote