Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #761

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

Hey guys
Just a bit of an update on my little rig. I have 4 linked the rear and has stopped torque twist nearly completely. Put a full size servo plate on the front with a 645 hi tec. Now running 2s lipo and the losi MRC motor
The pictures may not be the best sorry
CJP_8_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #762
Rock Stacker

Got the chevy body fitting pretty good. Had to steal my white steelies for another build not got a set of proline 1.9's for $20 and there like the dudes rug !
drjones1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #763
I wanna be Dave

The RTR Exceed Maxstone16, Redcat Everest16,
and Horizon Hobby 1/18 Temper RTR chassis
are all virtually the same component design.

And any upgrades or altercations to any of them
will likely share in their commonality.

Only real differences are the chassis plate design, body incl.
TX/e-component offerings and color.

Cool thing about these mini crawler chassis is...
They make a great foundation for building a 1/6th scale quad

well... worked out well for me anyways

Only negatives...

The parts are small and difficult to alter./handle.
^ especially with big clumsy hands

They aren't really fast as they're geared slow as crawlers.
Brushed mtr. anyways... faster if ya go brushless.

Each different distributor kit comes with different TX - e components.
and so... adjustment and tuning varies with each.

Alternatively sized spur gears are next to non-existent...
and alternative pinion gear selection is minimal.

Otherwise... they are fairly durable/reliable...
and they all come as RTR's ( excluding the 8 TX alkaline batteries req. )

They operate fine straight out of the box...
but chassis flex is a little excessive IMO

So... I altered my shock positioning a little.
It's said that 4 linking the suspension is supposed to reduce
body roll and excessive articulation.

And tho' I have all the necessary components required...
I have not done that altercation as of yet.
The more upright shock positioning seems to help as well.

the 1/6 scale quad body/driver came from this donor...
was cheap to purchase... so I had to

With a 12" Joe sitting on top the quad...

In comparison next to my custom 1/6 scale Nylint TJ body/Wraith build.
along with my 1/10 scale SCX-10 Honcho for the scale perspective.

TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #764

does anyone know if horizon exc temper and the losi mrc parts are interchangeable. Looking to upgrade driveshaft to start. If so are the hot racing ones durable? Just figured they may be interchangleabe as horizon looks to sell both losi and the exc.
Chewitt214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #765

Does anybody know if the New Bright mopar Jeep Wrangler body would fit on this? Thinking about getting one of these and would like to know.
Goatman4rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewitt214 View Post
does anyone know if horizon exc temper and the losi mrc parts are interchangeable. Looking to upgrade driveshaft to start. If so are the hot racing ones durable? Just figured they may be interchangleabe as horizon looks to sell both losi and the exc.
if the horizon is the same as the exceed which i assume it is, then the drive shafts for a MRC will not fit. It has been covered in previous posts on this thread
Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #767

Have managed to now four link the front of my crawler which was a must after shaving down my servo mounts so the servo sits lower. It's crawling real nice at the moment with more weight up front and the electronics moved forward as far as possible

Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #768
Pebble Pounder

How much weight do the axles take before they start getting the overloaded flexy thing going?

I'm wanting to build a dumptruck these axles are about the perfect width for the body.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #769
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to read this thread from the beginning...but in the mean time....just wondering, are these little guys legit? I think a small crawler would be a blast to mess with and my kids would love them too.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I'm going to read this thread from the beginning...but in the mean time....just wondering, are these little guys legit? I think a small crawler would be a blast to mess with and my kids would love them too.
yes! they are great little rigs. Your best bet would be to read this thread because there are a few little bits and pieces to sort out for both reliability and to make it a quite capable crawler.
They are very capable crawlers with some mods and keeps up with as mentioned before my mates ax10 and some other 2.2 rigs that my family and friends have.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
How much weight do the axles take before they start getting the overloaded flexy thing going?

I'm wanting to build a dumptruck these axles are about the perfect width for the body.
i havent exactly put a whole heap of weight on my axles until they start to flex. But i think they will handle a fair bit of weight just whether or not the steering components such as plastic c hubs and knuckles will handle it.
Sound like a great idea you have though
Old 01-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #772
Pebble Pounder

I'm not trying for a really absurd payload, the dump bed is WELL under 5x6x3 which is 90 cu in, and i have no tailgate. Then 1 cu ft is 1728cu in, and loose dirt is around 75lbs cu ft. So my max payload is very safely under 3.9 pounds.

Nylint classics series dumptruck is good for adding atleast a pound metal and plastic to that and frame and electronics.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-03-2016 at 03:06 PM.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #773

Hey guys, been creepin the forum for a while, and realize I'm extremely late t the game, trying t find some 4-link info. I'm acctually running a ECX Temper (basically a EMS or Redcat Eerest-16 with better eletronics). What I would love from someone is the measurements or their custom trans-plate so I can eliminate a little of the guesswork on my end. to get my 4-link going. (have parts for that, as well as 1.9's and hub wideners on the way) Thanks in advance!
dmill1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I'm not trying for a really absurd payload, the dump bed is WELL under 5x6x3 which is 90 cu in, and i have no tailgate. Then 1 cu ft is 1728cu in, and loose dirt is around 75lbs cu ft. So my max payload is very safely under 3.9 pounds.

Nylint classics series dumptruck is good for adding atleast a pound metal and plastic to that and frame and electronics.
i think that they would handle that but it may wear out some components a bit quicker i guess
Old 01-04-2016, 03:17 AM   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill1369 View Post
Hey guys, been creepin the forum for a while, and realize I'm extremely late t the game, trying t find some 4-link info. I'm acctually running a ECX Temper (basically a EMS or Redcat Eerest-16 with better eletronics). What I would love from someone is the measurements or their custom trans-plate so I can eliminate a little of the guesswork on my end. to get my 4-link going. (have parts for that, as well as 1.9's and hub wideners on the way) Thanks in advance!
I haven't make my own trans plate as of yet but i have four linked my rig with the stock trans plate. sorry it may not be a whole lot of help for your need
Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #776

I just joined the forum and have the Redcat Everest 16 version. So far my mods have been limited, but this is a fun little crawler.

I see several people talking about 4-linking to reduce torque twist, I accomplished this by filling the shocks with 65wt shock oil and putting 10mm spring spacers on the rear shocks. It is pretty stable now, and is working for me just fine. I did get a set of RC4WD 1.9 Rock Crushers for it as well, between those and the shock tuning I'm very impressed with what this little thing can do. I sold my Trail Trekker and bought this, the increase in size makes a huge difference in my 'Living room' obstacle course.

Also, here is a picture of the tire difference between the stock tire, the RC4WD 1.9 Rock Crusher X/T, and the Axial Maxxis Trepado

Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP_8_7 View Post
I haven't make my own trans plate as of yet but i have four linked my rig with the stock trans plate. sorry it may not be a whole lot of help for your need
got it, so you just left the lower links the same, and converted the wishbone? I thought abut doing that, but I have some 1.9" and 14mm hub wideners and wasn't sure if they would rub on the stock lower links.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #778

I got the ECX after the Redcat I ordered had a fried ESC out of the box.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #779

The good news with the ECX is it will be easier to get parts for locally. How do you like the Tires on the ECX? That I believe is the single biggest difference between the ECX and the Redcat/exceed counterparts. Have you had a chance to undo the beadlock rings and see if the tires are glued to the wheels?
Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss81 View Post
The good news with the ECX is it will be easier to get parts for locally. How do you like the Tires on the ECX? That I believe is the single biggest difference between the ECX and the Redcat/exceed counterparts. Have you had a chance to undo the beadlock rings and see if the tires are glued to the wheels?

I have undone the beadlocks, and they are NOT glued together. pulled the foam rings out and added about 1oz each front, and 1/2oz each rear. the tires are so so traction wise. already ordered a set of 1.9s and some 14mm hub extenders.
LHS hasn't gotten any parts in stock yet, but should soon as they can't seam to keep the truck in stock. Did find stuff for the 4link (maxstone parts) on nitrorcx for less than half the price of the same ecx part (different color, but whatevs). So far very pleased with this $140 crawler. dumped about $80 for new wheels and extenders, and will take another $100 or so to swap out the ESC rx/tx to make it 4 wheel steering.