Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Maybe this will work. I'm really sorry to be clogging up the Thread with my attempts to join the conversation.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Cool, I just received my first 16th scale Maxstone this afternoon, it's going to be scavenged for a scale build, but w/ just a few tweaks, it could be a decent little comp crawler.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

I think I got it. So here is another photo. This is how it currently sits.

The little lipo is on the top because I don't have enough servo wire to get my battery and discharge protector down to the rear axle. I was looking for an extension but I'm super cheap (if you can't already tell, Exceed, custom motor mount, no name brand upgrades) and they are like $10. The lipo only cost me $5. I'm purchasing another 500mAh lipo that is half the size of this 1000mAh battery for $3 and just keeping it up top where I don't need to worry about wires in the springs and extensions. I will just add weight to the wheels to get some weight back in the rear.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Here is some pictures of my 4 link next to my son's stocker. Bodies off so you can see what is going on.

The stock is a little higher and flexes a little bit more. But the 4 link is super stable and feels so much more stable while driving.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Just last night I moved all my son's electronics down and made a custom plate on the front upper links for the receiver. It is still the 3 link but it is helping the COG. I'll see what is next for it. By the way The only mod to the 3 link set up I have done it to install one stiffer spring in the left rear. it helps a ton with the TT but I don't like the way the 3 link crawls.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty cool.

Hope to have pics of my little knockoff up soon.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Cool. Would love to see more picture of what people are doing to these little guys.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looks pretty cool.

Hope to have pics of my little knockoff up soon.
I hate UPS mine wont be here till Thursday.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I hate UPS mine wont be here till Thursday.
It's pretty cool, the radio binded up very quickly and the overall quality is better than expected.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i agree that there are better options for motors. i don't comp and i'm not making a scaler. i picked mine because i wanted more wheelspeed and wanted to run lipos for long run time. getting a motor/esc delivered for $40 wasn't a bad deal. i haven't tested the drag brake much but given this rig is for my son he is more interested in driving around and going over some fairly level rocky terrain and steep vertical climbs. once he opens it up for x-mas we'll get to see how it performs. at a minimum i see this as an inexpensive platform to start with and make upgrades as needed.
I'm really curious to how this brushless set up is working for you. More wheel speed would be awesome. But don't want to loose drag brakes and deal with cogging at low speeds. Will you let us know how it is going? I'm thinking I may look into the common MRC upgrade to the slider motor. If it fits. But I'd like to know how your brushless is working first.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
It's pretty cool, the radio binded up very quickly and the overall quality is better than expected.
Good to hear. How do the shocks feel? and tires are the usable?

I have been using one of those radios for about 4 months now with out any issue's.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Good to hear. How do the shocks feel? and tires are the usable?

I have been using one of those radios for about 4 months now with out any issue's.
Shocks are plastic and come w/ soft and firm springs, but they need heavier oil and spring tensioners. The tires are in no way comp quality, but they would be fine for scaling.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
I'm really curious to how this brushless set up is working for you. More wheel speed would be awesome. But don't want to loose drag brakes and deal with cogging at low speeds. Will you let us know how it is going? I'm thinking I may look into the common MRC upgrade to the slider motor. If it fits. But I'd like to know how your brushless is working first.
first, glad to see you were able to get some pics up. you have made some modifications similar to what i'm planning (move lower links chassis mounting points more towards the center of the skid and switch over to 4-link). i'm glad to here it has helped with stability.

the brushless is working out pretty well. when i let it run flat out (with 11T pinion) it is very quick. the drag brakes are strong enough to hold it on a 50 deg incline without moving, which i consider pretty good. i don't even think i have them set at 100%. the cogging is pretty minimum. even at really low speeds it has enough torque and control.

i saw some comments about the shocks. yes, there are not the best and i will probably upgrade them someday but for now i'm more focused on the chassis and link geometry.

one area i really want to work on is steering. pretty limited in stock form. i think some MRC CVDs and new knuckles are in order. i'm use to my venom creeper having almost 50 deg of steering!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

Oh I'm so glad to hear that the brushless motor is working out pretty well. I think I will order one with my next order to hobbypartz.

I totally agree with you on the steering. It has a terrible turning radius. The only thing that seems to help it out is that it is a 1.9 so it is small. LOL.

All my shocks are leaking. But I'm in the same boat as you and I'll replace them eventually. I just what to get the truck up are running correctly before I start to tune and mess with small stuff. By the way, in the some of the photos of the 4 link truck it has white zip ties on the shocks. It is because I'm running Losi mini T stock springs in those pictures. the zip tie fills the gap created by the shorter springs. But they are very soft. I like the softness in the front and helps with front end flex.

Thanks for the props on my 4 link. I did it very cheap. I used the longer 3 link bars from the factory 3 link suspension with the little middle and ends to the replacement servo linkage.
http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-68014.html
And then just a replacement servo mount.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #75
Rock Stacker

Finally more owners! Awesome Ideas!
Can you show more pics of you 4 link mounts on the axel?
Also why are you moving weight to the back mine flips over so easy when climbing that I put my battery up front and it really helped in climbing?
I lowered mine also by a limiting strap from the frame to the 3link to suck it down but still hate the axel steers it self when flexing.
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle Chuucha View Post
Finally more owners! Awesome Ideas!
Can you show more pics of you 4 link mounts on the axel?
Also why are you moving weight to the back mine flips over so easy when climbing that I put my battery up front and it really helped in climbing?
I lowered mine also by a limiting strap from the frame to the 3link to suck it down but still hate the axel steers it self when flexing.
I posted all my 4 link pictures what are you wanting to see specifically? I'll take some pictures of that and post them for you.
I was wanting to move my battery to the rear axle to help with lowering the COG. But with the LiPo being so light I'll just keep it up top.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

mostly looking for how you attached the upper links to the axel/servo plate.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #78
Rock Stacker

Also what did you use for your upper shock mounts?
Did the 4link get rid of the TT?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

I hope this answers some questions of yours.

Rear from the top

Rear from the bottom

Both the front and rear are the same. The front just has a servo sitting on top of that servo plate.

*the buggy tires are on it because my son and I were goofing around with rock crawler tires on his buggy.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

As for the shock upper mounts. They are the stock mounts but flipped almost upside down. I cut up the whole battery tray if you are have trouble seeing what I did. I will be getting rid of this set up being that it lowers the truck more than I wanted. Also I think if I can get the springs to the inside edge of the TVP it will put the shocks more vertical which will bring back a little of my articulation. I'll post pictures as soon as I get that done.