Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A very noob motor and battery question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Question A very noob motor and battery question.

I'm a little confused about what limits the use of the different type of bateries.

I know that if I want to use a 2S or 3S lipo battery (or wathever kind of batery), I need to make sure that the ESC is able to handle the batery. However, I don't know if the motor (brushed or brushless) can be a restriction in order to use a lipo batery or any other kind of batery.

For example, The Mamba max can handle up to 3S lipo bateries. So, does it mean I can use any motor + MM ESC + 3S lipo batery?. or are there some motors that can not handle this kind of battery?

If a mix the Saturn 27T + Mamba max, can I use a 3S lipo? I checked the HPI web page, but there is not any information about what kind of batery the saturn 27T is abel to handle.
raolguio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #2

Default heat

I don't think there is a simple answer to your question.....most motors will handle the voltage just fine. Just make sure your motor doesn't get to hot. If your motor is getting hot, then it will eventually fail.
gvpjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are a ton of factors that determine how much a motor will take. Getting the gearing right is going to be important in having the motor last. Whats the worst that could happen? Just take it easy at first and monitor the temps for the first couple packs and you should be fine.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #4

Thanks, right know I have a clue how to know if the motor will be able to handle the batery (it is all about temperature.... and gears). Thanks for your time.
raolguio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It does not matter what type of battery you use . They all supply electricity . The things you want to look at are voltage rating and a low voltage cutoff . The esc has to have a low voltage cutoff because lipo cannot be discharged below a certain voltage . Different motors will be able to withstand different voltages . Most motors will handle 3 cell lipo (11.1v). Try to find a voltage rating for your motor to know for certain it can handle it . Gearing is very important especially when using higher volts . Temperature is also very important . Also with brushless motors the voltage limit can be regulated by the motors ability to withstand the centrifugal force caused by high rpm . Some motors will literally shatter at a certain rpm . Hope this helps .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

For brushed motors, don't try to spin a cheap one past 30k rpm. Don't try to spin a handwound past 50k rpm. Stick to that and you will be fine.

The easy method is to see what other people are running, and be sure to watch the heat on your system. A 35t on 3s is popular, and about as fast as you would want for a crawler.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote