Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: struggling with decision on servo and charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Default struggling with decision on servo and charger

I have been looking at serves and chargers for awhile now and am not really liking my choices.

I am afraid if I don't spend $100 on a servo it is either going to break or be too weak.

I don't want to spend $100+ on a charger either. I like some of the $60 charger but it seems like I have read they are not as accurate and they all seem to be from Chinese suppliers. I know I am probably not getting around something produced over seas but purchasing it there is pushing it for me.

Feel free to share your thoughts on my delema... I am guessing it is going to lead to someone telling me to just pony up the $200, don't look back and finish my build. I am just not committed to that in my head yet
rustyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hate to tell you to do it but I had the same issue years back.

My experience has taught me that if I had just bought the right gear for the job the first time around I would have saved alot more money and the problems from underated equipment.

You really didn't say what you were building or what batteries you are charging and if you are competing or just having fun.

If you are competing then maybe you can buy used gear from people in a local club or keep your eye on the classifieds here on RCC.

Btw I have had the same CS170 servo for the past two seasons and now it is in my scaler when I got a new one. Good stuff holds up well.

Hope I helped.
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There is alot of "depends". As in depends on what you are running for a rig/batteries/tire size, etc. Many times you can get away with a much less expensive option with some small drawbacks.

One thing you do not want to skimp on though is a charger. Get the best one you can. Save up or ask for $ or gift cards for birthdays etc. A good charger will make your expensive batteries last much longer and take less time to charge them. And you can get one that will charge any battery you may have now or will get later. Even if you do not run them yet, get a charger that will do Lipo. As I do not see nimh/etc being even an option much longer. Most Lipo chargers will do nimh/nicad as well.

An inexpensive servo such as the standby Hitek 645mg will serve most crawlers for bashing etc for $40. The Cs170 is a bunch stronger as well for a bit more. If you are not looking for ultimate precision or speed, then either of those would be fine. If scaler, then the 645 would be fine. If a comp type or scaler 2.2, then you may want the cs170 as a minimum.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #4

Sorry guess I should have gave some details. building a berg and running rovers. I won't comp but still plan on a lot of technical crawling. Dig is a must. I will be using 3s but since I have the br-xl esc I am sure I will be hooking packs together to let her rip once in a while.

I am one that likes to do it right the first time with my purchases but am usually knowledgeable on the item first. Since I am just getting back into rc and have no local shops my knowledge is still limited. I did not just want to be the guy who throws money at it thinking it is going to make it ok.
rustyrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i dont know if this will help but this is the one im using for my ax10

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTM0217 good enough torque to it.

and on chargers i got http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...vac-leads.html just bought it im going to use 2 and 3s lipos on mine.
chromoly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Suck it up sounds like you know what you need and will appreciate it once you get it (epically when you see someone struggling with with a lessor product).

The upside is if you end up getting out of RC again the good stuff is usually easier to sell?
d.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote