Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Default New Crawler

if i was to get any crawler out there which one would be best. I am looking for a new crawler and i wanted to kno what you guys thought was the best on the market right now.
SamC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Guess It depends on how much your willing to spend. I like axial, but losi a nice crawler to. I also have an hpi crawler king.
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The axial xr10 is prob the best crawling kit out there.BUT you have to overcome the issues of weak gears and bearings. This can cost a pretty penny. I just spent $80 for two aftermarket trans housings and another $120 on gears. Aside from that it's bad ass.

If you want something fairly bulet proof out of the box, I had great luck with my Berg. I beat the hell out of it for 2 years and only had to repai a worn locker once and stub shafts but thats normal wear. You will do better to get axles only then complete it aftermarket. The Wheels in the full kit are too wide. the shocks, too long, the chassis too short. I ran the stock kit for a while minus wheels and did fairly well with it but as tome went on I had to swap out the other parts to stay competitive. T1E chassis are the wat to go here.

I had the Losi but it wasn't a match for me. Alot of guys I run with do very well with them but I was always afraid of breaking it. It was always making sounds like it was about to blow apart. I couldnt focus on driving due to this.

All that said, your best bet would be to test them out if you can find someone with them. Personal pref plays big in this question. I think my xr is the best crawler I've had and if you don't mind suring up the weak points and spending a bit more I would say XR all day.

Hope this helps. Good luck
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default crawler

everthing depends on what type of crawling you want to do.do you plan on doing comps? i spent about a month looking at all of the 2.2 treads.after that i spent two to three weeks looking at the classifieds. i ended up buying a bully that had one comp on it. i have not broken anything. i have made a few changes. whatever you decide to purchase just remember, practice practice and then practice. and have fun
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

xr10 be prepared to drop some cash. but they look like they perform !!

ax10 fairly good out of the box artr. good motor and esc and some cheap mods it will work nice

rear bent links, 4 link plates, wheel weights, TIRES!! on the axial web site it has some basic free mods, bender is the author
bubbaskyjacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Take a look at the venom creeper. I think it is pretty good out of the box, but in order to compete with it you'd have to do some modifications. The trans gears are solid and the bearings are pretty good. A few cheap and free mods and the venom creeper is a good crawler. check out the creeper forum.

Here's mine: Bubba Army creeper

Last edited by BrentH; 11-23-2010 at 11:40 AM.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

well that depends. what kind of area are you in and what you like. But if you like rock crawler i would get an XR10 or an AX10. If you like mudding you should get an scx10 because you can then get a new motor for it and just role through it. I have an scx10 myself.

Like i said it just depends where you are...
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

no no dont listen to them. get a redcat rs10. there a good starting crawler. real fun. btter than axial
CubCadet Pulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubCadet Pulling View Post
no no dont listen to them. get a redcat rs10. there a good starting crawler. real fun. btter than axial
haha. It's funny reading everyones opinions.

Whomever owns whatever rig, they're going to tell you to get the one they have because they think it's the best. Get what YOU like. Don't get it because someone said it's better... I seriously doubt the RS10 runs circles around anything out of the box.

Axials are a little overrated however, they have been proven time and time again on the course.

Wheely Kings can be good as well...not out of the box.

Venom Creeper has it's problems as well...some free/cheap mods make the Creeper and awesome crawler that will run side by side with a moa providing you have a dig.

Redcat RS10... I've never had one, but I'm sure it has it's issues out of the box. I hear tons of people saying it's underpowered.

Just make sure to do your research before listening to everyone tell you what to get. I'm sure you're capable of making your own decisions. Get what you want, not what other people want you to get. Read each sub-forum for each crawler and compare the pros/cons of each.

Last edited by BrentH; 11-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

yea rs10s do have there problems but dont all rigs. i mean no rig is perfect out of the box.
CubCadet Pulling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

For the amount off money I put in my rs10 I could have easy built up a xr10. My rs10 rocks and can follow my buddys xr10 but I have used allot of ideas that came from the xr10.
tom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Ive owned a rs10 and Never once had a problem with it. i beat the guts out of the thing time an time again. So have i done with my axial stuff But i must say Out of the Box the RS10 is great for under a 160 bucks. Theres alot of options for them now days more so then when i bought mine.

Axial has the best after market suppot out there but other companies are starting to check up with hop ups an what not

Ive also had the chance to drive a bully and theyre very very nice

All rigs NO matter what there are going to be flaws with them RTR's. Theyre the cheapest way to sell them Not saying RTRs are cheap, just stating that RTR units are fast sellers for beginners. The older season guys know what to pick an know what to stay away from

Sorry for my post... just throwing it out there
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #13

Thumbs down

I would avoid the Axial AX10 unless you're on a tight budget.
I've had one for a year or so and It's full of glaring design flaws and is made very cheaply.
Tiny Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Depends on what you want to spend i think the axial ax10 is a good buy...you can find some good deals here on the forums or on ebay
scteggy is offline   Reply With Quote