Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Whats the best single-motor/"shafty" crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Question Whats the best single-motor/"shafty" crawler?

The main criteria I'm looking for are performance, simplicity, and durability but please do NOT suggest an Axial because I'm not buying another one of those.

Last edited by Tiny Hands; 11-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Tiny Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Whats wrong with Axial?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've run quite a few and am impressed with the Losi Comp Crawler....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would recommend buying an Axial AX-10
Seriously
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Whats wrong with Axial?
I'd prefer not to start an argument and I know they're very popular but I'm just not very impressed with them.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you dont like your AX you can send it to me .....................
Bigpopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Hands View Post
I'd prefer not to start an argument and I know they're very popular but I'm just not very impressed with them.
Every rig has its flaws. If you aren't able to work past them, then maybe you should find something more productive to do with your time. If you're looking for a rock solid, completely dependable out of the box rig, you won't find one.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Knowing what you did not like about one truck might help folks recommend another....
Old 11-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Knowing what you did not like about one truck might help folks recommend another....
This is all I can find...

Quote:
My Axial AX10 RTC has been inoperable for about a year and I'm thinking about selling it for parts if I cant get this latest problem fixed:
For some reason, where all the other versions of this truck and every other crawler I've seen have shocks that are attached by those little ball joint nuts the RTC's shocks are attached by flexible rubber o-rings. the problem is now that the shocks have been removed I cant get them back on because when I tighten the nut down on the o-rings the rubber compresses and they cant move far enough sideways to attach the other end to the axle. also the hole the o-rings fit into on the shock is too large to fit a ball joint nut and I cant find any other shocks that are the same length as the RTC's, not even the ones axial makes are the same length. So should I get a different crawler or are their some affordable pre-assembled shocks out their that will fit the RTC?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Old guy

TLT all the way.

Last edited by ROCKEDUP RICKY; 11-28-2010 at 02:51 PM.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Fine, you asked for it.
*cracks knuckles*
The differential bulges out too much and gets hung up on everything, both the plastic and metal links they manufacture are flimsy, the transmission doesn't hold ground, the skid plate doesn't cover the motor, the links are mounted to the outside of the chassis (though I got that fixed), the shocks are attached by metal o-rings instead of ball joint nuts, the steering is underpowered and only has about 30 degrees of movement, most everything is made of plastic including the ball joint nuts, ground clearance is poor, the whole chassis is seemingly designed to bottom out as much as possible, there is something wrong with the rear suspension causing one of the rear wheels to lift and flip the truck over, and its making me type run-on sentences.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Fine, you asked for it.
*cracks knuckles*
The differential bulges out too much and gets hung up on everything, both the plastic and metal links they manufacture are flimsy, the transmission doesn't hold ground, the skid plate doesn't cover the motor, the links are mounted to the outside of the chassis (though I got that fixed), the shocks are attached by metal o-rings instead of ball joint nuts, the steering is underpowered and only has about 30 degrees of movement, most everything is made of plastic including the ball joint nuts, ground clearance is poor, the whole chassis is seemingly designed to bottom out as much as possible, there is something wrong with the rear suspension causing one of the rear wheels to lift and flip the truck over, and its making me type run-on sentences.
Then, if you are wishing to stick with a shaft driven crawler, the LCC will fix every issue other than the last one....

BTW, they are on sale for $185 for a roller from Horizon (after you add it to your cart)...

Last edited by JeremyH; 11-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i would recommend the losi night crawler in rtr form or the comp crawler for you my friend. as far as a rtr that performs well in every catagory you mention these would be it. but you will hate the wheel speed unless you run a brushless setup in them.
CrawlHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #14

I was thinking about the Losi too but I'm a little concerned about the smaller wheels and the chassis looks a little overcomplicated.
I suppose one could put wider wheels on it but that might cause the tire to scrape the links when it takes a sharp turn.
the Venom looked very nice as well but everybody talks like it has some secret flaw or something?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Old guy

Quote:
I was thinking about the Losi too but I'm a little concerned about the smaller wheels and the chassis looks a little overcomplicated.
I suppose one could put wider wheels on it but that might cause the tire to scrape the links when it takes a sharp turn.
the Venom looked very nice as well but everybody talks like it has some secret flaw or something?
gET THE 2.2 LOSI, NOT THE 1.9
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, Ricky's right....I was referring to the 1/10th scale Losi Comp Crawler:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0051

It is the same basic size as the AX10.

Dont forget, the price will drop by $15 when you add it to your cart. You will need to add your electronics when you get that...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Losi comp crawler will fix all those problems, but you will need to go brushless.

Well other than belly clearance, but after you get used to it you find out how to get your belly up and over sharp break overs.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I looked at the Night Crawler side by side with the AX10, and the links seamed flimsier on the Losi to me. One of the reasons I went with the AX10.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMGREG View Post
I looked at the Night Crawler side by side with the AX10, and the links seamed flimsier on the Losi to me. One of the reasons I went with the AX10.
Links are cheap and easy to make. Don't let simple upgrades prevent you from buying something. Like I said, everything has its flaws and downsides. You have to be willing to work with what you have to be happy.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Links are cheap and easy to make. Don't let simple upgrades prevent you from buying something. Like I said, everything has its flaws and downsides. You have to be willing to work with what you have to be happy.
Why I said one of, as in there were other reasons I chose Axial. I mentioned the links specifically, because he was unhappy with quality of the Axial links.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote