Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tire wobble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default tire wobble

just finished building my first crawler, an xr10, and noticed i have a lot of tire wobble in my front wheels, but none in the rear, im running a decent amount of weight in the front, i think all in all they come in at about 15.75 ounces each, my beads are perfectly seated, so is the wobble just a function of all the weight?
sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

15oz??? wow thats alot Lol id venture to say yeah
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

from what i have read, its not an unreasonable amount of weight, and it certainly keeps it planted, i wonder if others are experiencing the same thing
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

mine wobbles too but i belive it is do to the foams i never noticed it in my losi comp crawler but at the same time i didnt have the wheel speed i do now with my xr10
crawler pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i was thinking it might be the foams, i have kneaded at the tires a bunch, but with no effect, maybe its the way the foam is seating on the weight ring, i think im gonna try trimming it
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I think the wobble is caused by the sloppy steering linkage myself.

For me its the one front tire only.I've swapped front wheels/tires to both sides and its always the drivers side that wobbles alot more.So i'm quite sure that its the slop in the linkage and not the tire itself.I noticed that the drivers side linkage is alot sloppier than the servo side(passenger side).That being said,i need to make myself a straight steering link and get rid of the stock slide bar somehow..

Last edited by xv-townboy; 12-01-2010 at 03:14 AM.
xv-townboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #7

On my xr10 I too have the front wobble . I think , as said earlier , that it's the weight inside the tyre that changes the compression of the foam , it disturbs it .
I'm still at work here but the quick solution to see if it's the sterring link is to try the rear wheels on the front axle.
shannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

are you saying the pin isnt seating into the hub deep enough, so you tapped the hub down?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: tire wobble

did you resolve your issue? im having the same thing, but its only the front driver. at first it was the slop in the links but i got that solid. now in a hard turn in motion it wobbles nasty, if looking directly down you can see it wobble while moving. ive tried kneading the foam and it almost seems to get better for a while, but then goes back. is there a way to fix this ? did i not seat the beadlock properly or something? im runing 1.9 titus wheels with chisels.
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2hill View Post
did you resolve your issue? im having the same thing, but its only the front driver. at first it was the slop in the links but i got that solid. now in a hard turn in motion it wobbles nasty, if looking directly down you can see it wobble while moving. ive tried kneading the foam and it almost seems to get better for a while, but then goes back. is there a way to fix this ? did i not seat the beadlock properly or something? im runing 1.9 titus wheels with chisels.
If you swap front tires/wheels, does the wobble follow the tire or is it still the same corner?
It could be the bead not seated correctly or the foam is wadded up inside.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What it could be is the play in the outer axle shaft. On all of my Axials, there is play without shimming. By this I mean the outer axle shaft where it goes through the two bearings in the knuckle. Even with the hex hubs mounted as deep as they can. When you grab a wheel, you can move it in and out a good bit (say 1/16 or 1/8 inch guestimate). This allows the front outer axle shaft to float around a bit. if you look at many pictures on here, it looks like the front tires have negative camber some times. That is due to the outer axle shaft issue. It is kinda hard to explain. But test it by grabbing a front wheel and moving it in and out, you will see what I mean. After a very short time you get more then in and out movement but the bearings will move around a bit in their seats and allow the wheels to flop around and get sloppy. Shimming the space between the hex pin and the outermost bearing could solve this. But it is not a big enough deal for me. Has never done anything other then look weird at times. All three of my Axial axled rigs have this issue. The problem does not occur on the rear axle due to not having those outer hubs and their bearings.

May be the issue for you?
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote