Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Arrgh!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #1

Default Arrgh!

Putting together a Wraith kit, getting down to the electronics. Tried installing a Holmes Hobby BRXL, pretty sure I fried it due to stupidity- wanted to calibrate the esc with the transmitter, wired up the battery connector wrong in my haste to get it done. Lots of sparks. The 2s 2000mah lipo got hot, now I have it slowly discharging, hoping it'll charge again. Also had a BEC soldered up to the leads on the esc, but not connected to the receiver. Think that's gone too? And what about my receiver? Think that's toast as well? Any way to check these other than putting them on another vehicle?
Fumey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2016, 03:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Arrgh!

That's a big bummer. Sorry that happened to you. :(

Sent from my Amazon Fire phone using Tapatalk
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Arrgh!

Don't kick yourself too hard. All of us have done something silly that we'd like to kick ourselves for at some point. I have sparked a battery before when I allowed the leads to touch briefly while soldering on a new Dean's plug, and it survived. It all depends on how long the short lasted. The best way to test is to isolate each component and try it with other known working components. The easiest way to start is to try plugging in a different battery pack to the ESC/BEC/receiver combo with the BEC powering the receiver and plug a servo into channel 1. If the servo works, the BEC and receiver are fine. If not, try a different receiver/transmitter pair that you know works together. If the servo still doesn't work, the BEC is probably fried. If the servo works with either the original receiver or an alternate, then try connecting a motor to the BRXL and plug the BRXL into the working receiver. If the motor spins, the ESC is fine. If you can't get the motor to spin when the servo is working, the ESC is probably fried. Be careful with the battery. If it puffed, you're probably better off retiring it. If it didn't puff and still take a charge, make sure you keep a careful eye on temps while discharging and for the first few charge/run cycles. If it gets warm during normal use, disconnect it quickly and retire it. I hope that helps - good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Arrgh! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
arrgh!!! WTF!!! Help ... lol Twiztid Metal Electronics 28 08-06-2010 08:01 PM