RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   How to use the Search button (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/288615-how-use-search-button.html)

AdverseCity 12-26-2010 07:05 PM

How to use the Search button

Everyday there's new threads popping up here asking a question that has been answered dozens of times. Usually if someone nice reads it first they will do a quick search, find a thread with the requested information and post it up. If someone not-so-nice reads it first, let the flaming begin. I've personally answered these kinds of threads in both ways depending on my mood or the severity of laziness/noobness involved. I've decided to make a "How to use the search button" thread in the hopes it'll get stickied and remain at the top of the Newbie General section for all to see. Here goes nothing.....

Search Tips

Don't just click the search button and start typing, use the advanced search feature. The ONLY time to not use it is when you're searching for a thread that is easily distinguishable from others. Examples being if you know the name of a custom build and just want to find the thread again. There won't be many threads with Tumbler or Fat Girl in them. For the extra couple seconds it takes to advanced search I'd still recommend doing that, it's just so much easier.

Be specific but also brief, you don't want to type "how to get rid of torque twist on an axial AX10". This will get you a ton of results, most of which won't help and you'll get discouraged after reading the first ½ dozen and give up. Instead try searching "torque twist" and select the "Axial AX10 Scorpion" section, you'll get much fewer results that will be 10 times as useful to you.

Search in the thread titles instead of the message body, this way the results you get will be threads specifically about what you're looking for, instead of a thread with your search term halfway down in a random post that has nothing to do with your question. This will also minimize the amount of useless results you'll have to look through, always a good thing.

If you put quotation marks around the words you're searching for, it will only show results with those words in that specific order. Example, if you type "losi crawler shocks" you won't get a thread that has My losi buggy is faster than my crawler, it must be the aftermarket shocks.

If you'd like to omit results with a certain word put a minus sign in front of that word. Example, type in hardbody -jeep and you'll get results with the word hardbody but not the ones with the word jeep. Useful if you want to see some hardbody rigs but you hate jeeps.

If you want results with only 1 of 2 (or more) words you can separate them by OR (must be capitalized). Example, you can type berg OR enroute and get results with either word, they won't need both words to be shown.

This should get you well on your way to becoming a search expert. In no time at all you'll be searching for newbies and posting up the results, along with "Use the search button". You'll soon see why it's annoying for people to ask questions that can be answered easily with a little time and effort. Cheers and happy searching......

"thumbsup"

jcboof 12-26-2010 07:07 PM

Pretty good info eh."thumbsup"

THE CRAWLER KING 12-26-2010 07:13 PM

Very well put.;-) Thanks for those serch tips I never would of figured those out."thumbsup"

PhantomRS10 12-26-2010 07:25 PM

Sticky time??

RIG_RIDER 12-26-2010 10:51 PM

I'll admit I learned a thing or two from this.
Thanks AdverseCity.

"thumbsup"

crawlin rocks 12-27-2010 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info. It works awesome. I'm just starting to figure things out."thumbsup"

16hp 12-27-2010 04:09 PM

i just got SCHOOLED!! ...and rightly so, thanks."thumbsup"

fred0000 12-27-2010 04:13 PM

nice post AdverseCity I even learned a few things, thanks!

KBrog 12-27-2010 04:15 PM

The search function is over rated. Most of the time it comes up with to much unrelated info or page after page after page after page, you get the point. Whats so hard about answering a question? Even if its the first or the 100th. We say good morning to people everyday, even though we said it yesterday. It wasnt that long ago I was asking at a local comp, "whats a BEC?". Ive learned a lot on this. Others come here looking for the same. Some times its just faster to ask then search all day in hopes of finding something.

Have patients. everyone has to start by asking.

AdverseCity 12-27-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBrog (Post 2823455)
Most of the time it comes up with to much unrelated info or page after page after page after page,

This is exactly why I posted these tips, they will help to reduce the number of useless threads in the results. I can personally guarantee this. As an example I tried searching torque twist and got 12 pages or results. Then I searched "torque twist" and yes, I did get 5 pages of results but each thread either had the relevant info in it or had a link to the info within the first page. Either way I was able to find the info I needed in one minute or less. Granted I've perfected my search techniques but I believe most everyone can benefit from these tips.

MnRockCrawler 12-27-2010 10:07 PM

I agree 110% with KBrog.. And honestly, not taking anything away from the OP or anything but do people really need someone to hold there hand when using something as a "search" icon? I mean if a person can use google, or even find RCC, odds are they can use a search function.
I know if gets old when the same questions are asked over and over, and I can understand how some people might get frustrated with them. But there is a really easy solution to that. If ya see a thread with a title "What truck to buy?", simply dont look at it if you dont care to help. Sometimes a person just isnt in the mood to help and thats fine. Alot of people need to start "skipping" over threads like this instead of barking down a new person to the hobby's throat about "using the search function". Alot of people, myself included, would much rather get my own responses (even though I do regularly use the search function) that to sometimes read a question I have that is just similar to mine.
Without new people in this hobby, the hobby would be dead. Without "Noobs" on this site, there would be no RCC. So I think some people really need to rethink how they treat "Noobs" and how it reflects on the site because sometimes its not always good. I might be considered a "Noob" on Rcc but have been in the hobby for over 10 years and have been crawling since Tlt axles and traxxas trannys. Does that make me better or worse than a person that's been in the hobby since he just opened his new RTC crawler for Christmas? No.
I have seen quite a few people chewed up and spit out for asking a repeated question in here and it makes me wonder why people of RCC let it happen. All that does is makes the person asking the question, get a sour taste in their mouth for RCC, and go to another site for answers.
Everyone I have met at crawler/rc meets has been great and the people always seem so willing and even excited to see/get people into the hobby. I have no clue why it gets flipped around on the internet.

And again OP this thread has some great suggestions, so its nothing towards you or anyone specific. Just a general observation Ive noticed.

RebelRacer 12-27-2010 10:48 PM

MnRockCrawler.... extremely well put and i to agree with you and not to mention if they always use the search button and never ask/post a question how are they supposed to reach 30 posts (assuming they dont buy a star) but none-the-less still a good post with good info "thumbsup"

draper_88 12-27-2010 11:05 PM

This is some very good information. But I have to Agree with some of the others. I am probably considered a Noob on here because i only have like 37 post, but I have been into r/c for about 15 years now, and I have learned a lot from asking questions and using the search button on he forums I frequent. There are times that I will ask 10 different people the same question to get the 10 different answers because you will get 10 different answers and then I can decide which answer is best suited to me. So I think that sometimes we are a little hard on New people but at one point in time we where all new to the hobby and I am sure that if you look back to your first time at the race track or first time to the rock course you asked questions and somebody was more than willing to answer your questions or steer you in the right direction. So nothing against anyone or the OP because this is a great thread and I am going to use some of the tips but we should all step up and try and help the new guys out to help expand our ever growing hobby. Thanks for the great information and tips.

vonclod 12-27-2010 11:10 PM

awsome post"thumbsup" this helps me with the search8)..i usually find what i,m looking for but it takes forever sometimes:oops:..its great to ask questions but on alot of them the answer is right there it just takes a bit of looking...it gets pretty funny/silly/entertaining at times and have seen it get ugly both ways when someone feels the need to bitch slap a noob for asking a question..dumb/lazy or not ..if you think its a dumb/lazy question why bother posting let someone else answer it, seems kinda bullyish.. and ive seen some jerk noobs as well..in any case a little effort goes some way.

SINister 01-10-2011 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info I've always found it hard to find info on here this should really help. I agree with the other guys too if all you can do is flame someone then just hit the back button and go to another post. All it does is discourage newbies and make you look like an arse. Hopefully they will drop a link to this thread in the future instead.

kuatto 01-23-2011 06:34 AM

Great tips,I definitely learned a lot from that,especially the part about the quote marks......"thumbsup"

It usually runs fine 01-27-2011 07:59 PM

Hello new to the crawling scene. What is the single best upgrade to get my crawler to get more traction on uphills climbs?

HAHAH

fred0000 01-27-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It usually runs fine (Post 2890356)
Hello new to the crawling scene. What is the single best upgrade to get my crawler to get more traction on uphills climbs?

HAHAH

IMEX swamp dawgs with no foams. or something about WD40ing your tires :flipoff:

lone wolf 02-01-2011 05:55 PM

i learned a lot from this. i sometimes ask because i find this site somewhat hard to navigate. info like this helps me learn my way around better

Bro D 05-26-2011 08:26 PM

I don't understand why they haven'nt done this in every forum. Good Info!:)

davidmcox 06-04-2011 09:40 PM

My lame ass phone wont let me search on this forum.. but I keep trying

nafie 06-28-2011 06:03 PM

i wish i would have read this 69 posts ago!!!!:lmao:

Hydro-Tank 07-10-2011 12:04 AM

How do you use the search box on an Ipod or Iphone?

BUGGYBOY 07-20-2011 09:55 AM

"The best thing about the internet is you can quote something and completely make up the source" - George Washington

I like this , it would look good on a tee shirt AND I am going to steel it to post on my FB Yell real loud so you can object I am in Grass Valley CA , just down the hill from the Sierras with all those huge granit boulders !

AdverseCity 07-25-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmcox (Post 3126682)
My lame ass phone wont let me search on this forum.. but I keep trying

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrccrawler (Post 3179253)

Not sure, I have an Xperia X10 that was hard to search with though. I can click on search and the little box pops up but when I click on the box to type, it disappears. I finally realized that once the box pops up I have to zoom in a bunch and click on advanced search. Try that and let us know.

AdverseCity 07-25-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY (Post 3194465)
"The best thing about the internet is you can quote something and completely make up the source" - George Washington

I like this , it would look good on a tee shirt AND I am going to steel it to post on my FB Yell real loud so you can object I am in Grass Valley CA , just down the hill from the Sierras with all those huge granit boulders !

My other favorite is "Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WW1 got started."

This is my usual sig but it's too big of a filesize for RCC.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5341/leetw.gif

demonoid369 07-25-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrccrawler (Post 3179253)

You using tapatalk? Because it should just show a tab saying search

rockslide24 07-28-2011 09:32 PM

Sometimes my Iphone will let me search and other times it errors out. But for the most part it works.

Ola 09-23-2011 01:58 AM

I`m not impressed by the search engine on this forum, allthough i cant tell what the real problem is.. I use adv. search on ALOT of forum`s, but this one keep getting me all kind`s of results now and then..

One tip i use when i really have problems finding spesific things (this forums got most things covered :) ), is to use Google..

Type : "torque twist" ax10 site:rccrawler.com in google.com, and you get alot of results from this forums with great accuracy..

Not the best example to show the difference, but it was just an example how to use google more spesific..

malekia 09-09-2012 08:54 AM

Re: How to use the Search button

Thanks for the write up, AdverseCity.

Unfortunately, the advanced search doesn't work very well. Even with quotes, it usually returns anything that contains either word.

Try searching for "toe in" in the Wraith section, you will get results that contain "toe" or "in".

WAM 09-09-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malekia (Post 3907758)
Thanks for the write up, AdverseCity.

Unfortunately, the advanced search doesn't work very well. Even with quotes, it usually returns anything that contains either word.

Try searching for "toe in" in the Wraith section, you will get results that contain "toe" or "in".

I agree. I get better results just using Google where I'd put in:

RCCrawler "toe in"

Then pick thru the offered threads for something Wraith.

HARDKNOCKZ 09-09-2012 04:30 PM

Wow. Where to start...

1st of all...those that flame new guys for asking a question should be banned...no questions asked. Not permanently but a week or so & hopefully the point will be made. It is COMPLETELY unnecessary to hammer someone for wanting to LEARN an answer. They're not the guys that spend $2 G's at their LHS then drop the pile on the counter & say "build this for me...I'll be back tomorrow"...they're at least trying to learn.

That being said...I've been just as annoyed by the entire XR forum being filled with new threads like WHAT SHOCKS DO YOU LIKE, HOW DO WIRE A BEC & 2S OR 3S. But it's just part of using this or most any forum. Sure...it pushes the better build threads to page 2 or 3 but a simple click or 2 & ya got whatcha want.

I personally cruise by a LOT of new threads because I know it'll get answered & might not have the time to get into a discussion at that point. But being a sponsored driver...I feel like it's part of my job to help those that ask. Especially questions specific to those I drive for. It still gets old but we were all new at some point & I guarantee that even those guys that've been here since 2004 have things to learn.

As it's been said...if you see a subject, question or comment that's been answered 100 times, hit the back button & move on. Don't be a dick & push the new blood out of our shrinking sport.

All of THAT being said...I commend you Adverse. There was some GREAT info in your tutorial & I think it SHOULD be stickied. Thanks for taking the time brother.

All in all guys...this is a hobby. Keep it fun. There seems to be way too much drama attached at times & I myself have gotten sucked into said drama a time or 2. We are a dying breed & I love seeing new guys on the rocks. Um...I mean I think its cool to...uh...nevermind. Lets keep our sport alive & help the newbians whenever we can. When we can't or just don't WANT to...move on. Don't hammer a guy for not knowing an answer or not wanting to search. Okee dokee?

J.D.

Charlie-III 09-09-2012 05:39 PM

Well stated HK....as to the recent posts, I feel your pain at times. The search does not work like I'm used to in other places. I am used to doing a "search" and a "+" to include other terms but get hammered by lots of useless threads.
The search here can be "challenging" at times.

Feel free to ask, have thick skin for some replies, figure out the peeps that have worthwhile answers.

Yes, it's a hobby, treat it as such.8)

rcrick263 11-14-2012 07:43 PM

I'm glad i read this. Should help alot! Thanks

Charlie-III 11-14-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAM (Post 3907777)
I agree. I get better results just using Google where I'd put in:

RCCrawler "toe in"

Then pick thru the offered threads for something Wraith.

And now, we have a "Google search box" right on every page!8)

dna4engr 11-19-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4015615)
And now, we have a "Google search box" right on every page!8)

X2 on google being the better search function for rcc. I've typed a specific thread title word for word as a test in the search function and had it only search thread titles and I got tired after going through three pages and not finding it. I agree that the "" and the - functions are good to know now. Based on other modern search engines, google is the best way to search for rcc information.

dna4engr 11-24-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdverseCity (Post 2822029)

Cut to this point

Be specific but also brief, you don't want to type "how to get rid of torque twist on an axial AX10". This will get you a ton of results, most of which won't help and you'll get discouraged after reading the first ½ dozen and give up. Instead try searching "torque twist" and select the "Axial AX10 Scorpion" section, you'll get much fewer results that will be 10 times as useful to you.

If you put quotation marks around the words you're searching for, it will only show results with those words in that specific order. Example, if you type "losi crawler shocks" you won't get a thread that has My losi buggy is faster than my crawler, it must be the aftermarket shocks.

Sadly either the quotation marks on a mac don't work in the search function or this doesn't work any more. I did exactly as was stated above. I went to advanced search, typed in "dick cepek mud country review" and selected tires/wheels forum and selected titles only. It returned a long list of threads that had the word mud or dick or cepek or country or review, not all of them in sequence as the quotations should have driven it.

I ran the same search in google and I got reviews on the 1/1 DC mud country.

Any tips would be appreciated. Please run the same search and see if you come up with what I did wrong.

Dna

rik 11-24-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdverseCity (Post 3201728)
Not sure, I have an Xperia X10 that was hard to search with though. I can click on search and the little box pops up but when I click on the box to type, it disappears. I finally realized that once the box pops up I have to zoom in a bunch and click on advanced search. Try that and let us know.

i too have to do this on my android based thunderbolt. but, it works.

08sv 12-08-2012 04:23 AM

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...earchfirst.gif
could'nt resist

AdverseCity 01-29-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dna4engr (Post 4030392)
Sadly either the quotation marks on a mac don't work in the search function or this doesn't work any more. I did exactly as was stated above. I went to advanced search, typed in "dick cepek mud country review" and selected tires/wheels forum and selected titles only. It returned a long list of threads that had the word mud or dick or cepek or country or review, not all of them in sequence as the quotations should have driven it.

I ran the same search in google and I got reviews on the 1/1 DC mud country.

Any tips would be appreciated. Please run the same search and see if you come up with what I did wrong.

Dna

I tried the same thing, no results. I removed Dick Cepek Review and got 4 results, the quotation marks still work for me.....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=6265402