Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How to use the Search button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb How to use the Search button

Everyday there's new threads popping up here asking a question that has been answered dozens of times. Usually if someone nice reads it first they will do a quick search, find a thread with the requested information and post it up. If someone not-so-nice reads it first, let the flaming begin. I've personally answered these kinds of threads in both ways depending on my mood or the severity of laziness/noobness involved. I've decided to make a "How to use the search button" thread in the hopes it'll get stickied and remain at the top of the Newbie General section for all to see. Here goes nothing.....

Search Tips

Don't just click the search button and start typing, use the advanced search feature. The ONLY time to not use it is when you're searching for a thread that is easily distinguishable from others. Examples being if you know the name of a custom build and just want to find the thread again. There won't be many threads with Tumbler or Fat Girl in them. For the extra couple seconds it takes to advanced search I'd still recommend doing that, it's just so much easier.

Be specific but also brief, you don't want to type "how to get rid of torque twist on an axial AX10". This will get you a ton of results, most of which won't help and you'll get discouraged after reading the first ½ dozen and give up. Instead try searching "torque twist" and select the "Axial AX10 Scorpion" section, you'll get much fewer results that will be 10 times as useful to you.

Search in the thread titles instead of the message body, this way the results you get will be threads specifically about what you're looking for, instead of a thread with your search term halfway down in a random post that has nothing to do with your question. This will also minimize the amount of useless results you'll have to look through, always a good thing.

If you put quotation marks around the words you're searching for, it will only show results with those words in that specific order. Example, if you type "losi crawler shocks" you won't get a thread that has My losi buggy is faster than my crawler, it must be the aftermarket shocks.

If you'd like to omit results with a certain word put a minus sign in front of that word. Example, type in hardbody -jeep and you'll get results with the word hardbody but not the ones with the word jeep. Useful if you want to see some hardbody rigs but you hate jeeps.

If you want results with only 1 of 2 (or more) words you can separate them by OR (must be capitalized). Example, you can type berg OR enroute and get results with either word, they won't need both words to be shown.

This should get you well on your way to becoming a search expert. In no time at all you'll be searching for newbies and posting up the results, along with "Use the search button". You'll soon see why it's annoying for people to ask questions that can be answered easily with a little time and effort. Cheers and happy searching......

AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Pretty good info eh.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Very well put. Thanks for those serch tips I never would of figured those out.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sticky time??
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'll admit I learned a thing or two from this.
Thanks AdverseCity.

RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. It works awesome. I'm just starting to figure things out.
crawlin rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i just got SCHOOLED!! ...and rightly so, thanks.
16hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
cherry bomb

nice post AdverseCity I even learned a few things, thanks!
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The search function is over rated. Most of the time it comes up with to much unrelated info or page after page after page after page, you get the point. Whats so hard about answering a question? Even if its the first or the 100th. We say good morning to people everyday, even though we said it yesterday. It wasnt that long ago I was asking at a local comp, "whats a BEC?". Ive learned a lot on this. Others come here looking for the same. Some times its just faster to ask then search all day in hopes of finding something.

Have patients. everyone has to start by asking.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Most of the time it comes up with to much unrelated info or page after page after page after page,

This is exactly why I posted these tips, they will help to reduce the number of useless threads in the results. I can personally guarantee this. As an example I tried searching torque twist and got 12 pages or results. Then I searched "torque twist" and yes, I did get 5 pages of results but each thread either had the relevant info in it or had a link to the info within the first page. Either way I was able to find the info I needed in one minute or less. Granted I've perfected my search techniques but I believe most everyone can benefit from these tips.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I agree 110% with KBrog.. And honestly, not taking anything away from the OP or anything but do people really need someone to hold there hand when using something as a "search" icon? I mean if a person can use google, or even find RCC, odds are they can use a search function.
I know if gets old when the same questions are asked over and over, and I can understand how some people might get frustrated with them. But there is a really easy solution to that. If ya see a thread with a title "What truck to buy?", simply dont look at it if you dont care to help. Sometimes a person just isnt in the mood to help and thats fine. Alot of people need to start "skipping" over threads like this instead of barking down a new person to the hobby's throat about "using the search function". Alot of people, myself included, would much rather get my own responses (even though I do regularly use the search function) that to sometimes read a question I have that is just similar to mine.
Without new people in this hobby, the hobby would be dead. Without "Noobs" on this site, there would be no RCC. So I think some people really need to rethink how they treat "Noobs" and how it reflects on the site because sometimes its not always good. I might be considered a "Noob" on Rcc but have been in the hobby for over 10 years and have been crawling since Tlt axles and traxxas trannys. Does that make me better or worse than a person that's been in the hobby since he just opened his new RTC crawler for Christmas? No.
I have seen quite a few people chewed up and spit out for asking a repeated question in here and it makes me wonder why people of RCC let it happen. All that does is makes the person asking the question, get a sour taste in their mouth for RCC, and go to another site for answers.
Everyone I have met at crawler/rc meets has been great and the people always seem so willing and even excited to see/get people into the hobby. I have no clue why it gets flipped around on the internet.

And again OP this thread has some great suggestions, so its nothing towards you or anyone specific. Just a general observation Ive noticed.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

MnRockCrawler.... extremely well put and i to agree with you and not to mention if they always use the search button and never ask/post a question how are they supposed to reach 30 posts (assuming they dont buy a star) but none-the-less still a good post with good info
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #13

This is some very good information. But I have to Agree with some of the others. I am probably considered a Noob on here because i only have like 37 post, but I have been into r/c for about 15 years now, and I have learned a lot from asking questions and using the search button on he forums I frequent. There are times that I will ask 10 different people the same question to get the 10 different answers because you will get 10 different answers and then I can decide which answer is best suited to me. So I think that sometimes we are a little hard on New people but at one point in time we where all new to the hobby and I am sure that if you look back to your first time at the race track or first time to the rock course you asked questions and somebody was more than willing to answer your questions or steer you in the right direction. So nothing against anyone or the OP because this is a great thread and I am going to use some of the tips but we should all step up and try and help the new guys out to help expand our ever growing hobby. Thanks for the great information and tips.
draper_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

awsome post this helps me with the search..i usually find what i,m looking for but it takes forever sometimes..its great to ask questions but on alot of them the answer is right there it just takes a bit of looking...it gets pretty funny/silly/entertaining at times and have seen it get ugly both ways when someone feels the need to bitch slap a noob for asking a question..dumb/lazy or not ..if you think its a dumb/lazy question why bother posting let someone else answer it, seems kinda bullyish.. and ive seen some jerk noobs as well..in any case a little effort goes some way.

Last edited by vonclod; 12-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info I've always found it hard to find info on here this should really help. I agree with the other guys too if all you can do is flame someone then just hit the back button and go to another post. All it does is discourage newbies and make you look like an arse. Hopefully they will drop a link to this thread in the future instead.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Great tips,I definitely learned a lot from that,especially the part about the quote marks......
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hello new to the crawling scene. What is the single best upgrade to get my crawler to get more traction on uphills climbs?

HAHAH
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by It usually runs fine View Post
Hello new to the crawling scene. What is the single best upgrade to get my crawler to get more traction on uphills climbs?

HAHAH
IMEX swamp dawgs with no foams. or something about WD40ing your tires
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #19

i learned a lot from this. i sometimes ask because i find this site somewhat hard to navigate. info like this helps me learn my way around better
lone wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #20

I don't understand why they haven'nt done this in every forum. Good Info!
Bro D is offline   Reply With Quote