Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: noob needs SERIOUS HELP...anyone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry noob needs SERIOUS HELP...anyone??

New to crawlers ok I have a new scx10 honcho. I need to know how to modify frame? How to build axles that are scale and exact to real axles or were I can buy them? I need to know abt the best motors and transmissions?...what is better from 1.1 to 2.2?...I need to know what is considerd swb and lwb?.....sum1 emaile me plz stevie_surfer17@yahoo.com
808eng_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808eng_rc View Post
New to crawlers ok I have a new scx10 honcho. I need to know how to modify frame? How to build axles that are scale and exact to real axles or were I can buy them? I need to know abt the best motors and transmissions?...what is better from 1.1 to 2.2?...I need to know what is considerd swb and lwb?.....sum1 emaile me plz stevie_surfer17@yahoo.com
I guess you better start reading then.

You picked a good place to start, welcome to RCC.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That sounds like a lot to try and get done over an email.
You should start in the Scale sections 1.9 and 2.2. There's a lot ot learn with tips and technique, RC4WD is a good place to find scale parts like axles and other items.
There are several vendors here as well that sell scale parts and custom work.
If you're wnating to do it your self, I would start reading through the forums and see what sections have the tips and tech you are looking for.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
All the answers you need are on this site. You just need to take some time and read yourself. If you have shown that you are willing to do some research and learn then people will be more likely to help you.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Lol I've been searching and reading for 2weeks. I still can't find the exact specs that is considered lwb and swb...and I don't know specs on moutning shocks on my truggy and what angles what's sizes and etc...all I want is a scale crawler that does some serious work and I would like to know how to do all the fab myself....I'm just so lost on this site with all the accronyms and names
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Debunking old stereotypes

This needs a little up dating, but here's a good place to start.
RC Crawler Glossary of Terms
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
20K Club

There is no such thing as SWB or LWB specs. Most people just set up a rig based on what fits their body or what they want for appearance.

Shock angles depend on clearances, shock lengths, spring rates, etc. These are not things that people can just tell you how to setup. You have to play around with what works for your rig with the parts you are using.

For fab tips, check out the Tools and Procedure section. There are tons of threads and videos on everything from drilling a hole to brazing a tube chassis.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Ok so abt the building my own axles and how would I modify a frame to change my wheel base are there aftermarket frames?...and when I search for motors and trannys do all parts from other electric trucks interchange with eachother?...my experience is just in nitro boats and tmaxx's...also I have a dream of getting the van body and fitting a little solar panel to the top so it will charge the main drive power supply while in use...have you ever heard of anyone doing this?...I have unlimited resources I'm an engineer for the 808 unit army engineers...lol I've got ideas and I'm a fabricator of my own real life truggys and custum lifted 4x4's I just need a little guidence......also what are the most important parts to take care of when water proofing my rig?...and also I can't find any info on building or buying my own 4link and 3link setups...any ideas?

the best thing to do is take ideas from different rigs and make it work for your rig, lwb is something like a fourdoor ford ,swb is something like a wrangler which is a bit harder to work with cause the driveshaft angle tends to be real steep, i useally start with a 12 1/2 wheelbase depending on the rig i am building if i am building a jeep then the wheelbase would be somewhere in between 10-11 1/2 " i only build custom rigs mostly with no body but that is what i try to get the wheelbase to be. i hope this helps but like everybody else said just keep reading, and you will figure it out.

Are all electric components and axles and transmissions interchangable from other tucks?...are there after market chasis that will let me modify my wheel base?..and were do I find custom front and rear four link and 3link parts?

Yea I see other scale crawlers and I have a lwb 88 f150 truggy I'm goin to model my scx after so I just need some fab and parts guidence. Like I want an axle that is shaft driven with real rack and pinion and runs off of 1 motor not the ones that have a motor per axle...and 4link building or purchising info and waterproofing tips

Last edited by Reflection; 01-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The Search feature is your friend.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Like I want an axle that is shaft driven.... and runs off of 1 motor
For scale axles try here: http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Crawler-Axle_c_12.html

Quote: