Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what to get

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Default what to get

hey i'm thinking about getting a crawler but i'm a teenager so i'm on a tight budget. my brother has an ax10 and i'm not very impressed so far i was thinking of getting a night crawler but i don't really know what to get. so what is the best cheap all around good crawler?
$ pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Axial AX10 are good all around crawlers. But, if you have an eye to comps I recommend the LCC or Night Crawler, I think they are better out-of-the box sportsman class crawlers.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you can't get much on a tight budget in this hobby LOL. just a warning
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
you can't get much on a tight budget in this hobby LOL. just a warning
Unless............................................ ...............you have a sharp eye in the classified section, are willing to buy used, have a fair amount of fabrication skills/tools, and are willing to work for it.

Even then, it's not a cheap hobby by any means
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If you really want a crawler that performs at comp level get the Axial XR10.
Believe me that all crawlers cost money to get them to perform at good comp level. I have an AX10 that i've spent over $1000 on. It's a great sportsman rig but not pro level.
The XR10 is a great crawler out of the box. For a stock chassis it just works. You will need all items, esc, servo, motors, dig or dual esc depending on your radio.
It just sounds like you want the best you can get and if this is true then XR10 all the way. Even if your budget isn't there yet, take your time and if you really get into crawling you'll soon learn you made the right choice.

If you do go with a shafty like the AX or the Losi then I'd probably still say the Axial. Losi's require alot of maintenance and care. I know many that have them and they are constantly working on them....especially the worm gears. If you do go shafty think about the Losi Comp Crawler over the Night Crawler. It comes with DIG so that'll be one less thing to get down the road. Plus the Comp Crawler holds it own in the pro class.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Since money is an issue, get a AX10 Axial Scorpion RTC. Then crawl, and upgrade as you like. He has one setup, but there are tons of different ways to setup, mod, hop-up, and available parts. It will get you going with a good crawler. Then as money permits, make it yours, and make it kick butt. Honestly, given a tight budget (and I honestly feel for you), I think its probably your best bet, aside from being used. Theres eBay, and theres also Craigslist for whatever else. Personally, I give a yes to eBay, and a no on Craigslist. Craigslist has too much crap, thieves, perverts, criminals, scammers, etc., on it, and you dont need the headache. If you go eBay, use PayPal and you get buyer protection, in case some JA tries to rip you off.

Check out the AX-10 section, and then take a look through the picture sticky thread.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies guys and James I was looking at getting an xr10 but it's alot of money and im not going to be comp crawling but thanks for the advice from what I've heard I think I'll go with a used ax10 or lcc.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Oh and I know it's not a cheap hobby I've been in it for years but have been more of a basher than a crawler. right now I have a mini e revo that over the years have put over 700 into lol
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

$_Pit, (or is it $pit?) you said you brother has the AX10 and wasn't that impressed, why can't you get it off his hands on the cheap? This way, you at least have a crawler to start! Plus, since it is your brother, you might be able to barter some goods, services, that sorta thing!

The nicest thing, imho, about the AX10 is the shocking amount of aftermarket support for it out there! Basically, more vendors means lower prices, and a bigger selection of used good to work through (here, other boards, even within your local crawl group!). It may not perform at Pro level, but (lol) likely neither do you! Sportsman or freewheeling would be your best bet, and beyond that, those guys are purely "run what ya brung."

Ooh, one thing that works out with popular crawlers: It means a lot more people own and work on them, and a LOT more subsequent tips, tricks, low-buck mods, all that kinda good stuff. If you are really clever, you can low-buck the thing like crazy and absolutely SPANK the other guys! Quick fyi: all the mods in the world mean nothing if you can't drive worth a darn. Whatever you get, learn to drive your rig 1st, THEN decide which mods best suit your driving style!

Good luck man!

P.S., whoops, misread your post about your brother... Eh well, take it anyway!
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #10

How about the Venom Creeper. If you follow the tips and tricks thread their almost bullet proof. And you cant beat their price?
zim35 is offline   Reply With Quote