Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Me-A Newb Crawler; My Newb Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Me-A Newb Crawler; My Newb Crawler

Hey guys, here's my TLT-1 Crawler. It's got about a 12" wheelbase, 80-85 degree articulation, 55t integy lathe motor, 4ws, and bb's in the tires for exrtra stebility. I'd like to know what other stuff (besides a body, i'm in the process of gettin one, lol) i should do with this crawler to make it alot better. Thanks for any help.

-HotrodHopkins

HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks ok, I would get rid of the canilever(sp?) setup and get somw 4" maxx shocks on there. It looks like you are in need of narrowing your rims. Lastly the stock tranny puts your CG really high, ig you put a pede in there it would be better. good luck with it.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #3

to me the cantilevers seem much better to me. and why would i narrow my rims, don't i want more traction? and do you have a link for the Pede? Thanks much.
HotrodHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotrodHopkins
to me the cantilevers seem much better to me. and why would i narrow my rims, don't i want more traction? and do you have a link for the Pede? Thanks much.
Well nobody really runs canti's so it tells you something. By narrowing the rim, it makes the sidewall bulge which give you better side bite and better traction. The pede tranny is used in almost all custom chassis heres a link to Bender's SW2 where you can see the pede tranny well.Shaggin' Wagon.......Stage 2 Build-up
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Contact rbgerrish. He has some pede trannies. He has a thread in the vendors section, check it out.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

That looks pretty cool.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotrodHopkins
I'm a firm believer in "run what you brung". So if you like cantilevers, keep 'em! The reason lots of people don't is because the cantilevers introduce more parts that can break. Once you get more experience, you'll notice that cantilevers also don't offer the same easy adjustability that a simple 4" shock setup offers for countering things like torque twist. But if they work good enough for what you're doing with your truck, who cares ;)

Someone may call "BS" on this, but I would go for an Associated Stealth tranny as I think that is gonna be the next popular tranny. It's smaller, lighter and just as stout from what I've heard. I hope so anyway, I have one on the way ;)

Last edited by K_B; 04-03-2006 at 05:12 PM. Reason: I can't friggin' spell!
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlsalot
Well nobody really runs canti's so it tells you something. By narrowing the rim, it makes the sidewall bulge which give you better side bite and better traction. The pede tranny is used in almost all custom chassis heres a link to Bender's SW2 where you can see the pede tranny well.Shaggin' Wagon.......Stage 2 Build-up
You're close on the rims, but the real reason for running a narrow rim is that is makes the foot print smaller, a smaller foot print = smaller contact patch, which = more presure per sqaure area = more traction per tire.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

looks realy good...what are you going to use for a body?
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #10

Looks like a sweet crawler. Are you very fond of that stock chassis becuase there a lot of other chassis out ther that allow you a lot more adjustability as well as more ground clearance. looks good so far though.
SenorClod is offline   Reply With Quote