Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Ton of questions for rc rock crawler newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Default Ton of questions for rc rock crawler newbie

Ok, I apologize in advance, but I gotta start somewhere. I'm new to RC crawling and some what new to RC. So new that I don't have a truck yet. I've owned a few electric and nitro trucks years ago, but they have been long gone for years now and crawling wasn't around. I'm interested in getting involved with some of the weekend competitions in and around the Austin area. So here are some of my questions. What do you recommend for starters? Can I just buy an out of the box ready to crawl truck? Will it be competitive right out of the box? I'm interested in the larger trucks. Do they make a 1/5 scale crawler and can you compete with such? I've read some of the rules; however, I'm not certain on some of the terms such as 1.9, 2.2, etc.....There is a local hobby shop in town that carries a Losi Night Crawler. Is this something that will be competitive out of the box? I would like to go a little larger. I don't want to spend money on a truck and find out I can't enter any competitions. I've done a ton of research and have found there are a ton of brands with some I've never heard of and with a huge gap in pricing. Any help would be appreciated.
06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Welcome to the site. The RCC crew set up state sections for everyone, so going to ur state and checking out what comps they have are good idea. 19 and the 2.2 is the tire size. generally the 1.9 is scale based (RTR wise) and 2.2 is comp stuff. Are you wanting a shaft driven rig or MOA (motor on axle). Axial has a Xr10 that is very very nice and so does losi with the comp crawler. Out of the box losi is a good choice, the xr10 is a unbuilt unit that comes with no electronics or tires.

Most of the crawlers are 1/10th, theres also a brand specific sections for all the crawlers. Check out the build threads and get some ideas

ALot of other people will give you a better understanding on what ud like to know. ( im not good at that) Lol anyways welcome and enjoy it here

Alot of awesome people on here who will lend a helping hand when you need it

Oh yeah they have awesome give aways on here alot too..
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I'll search around on Texas and see what I come up with.
06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Id recomend a 1/10th scale rig because basicly no matter what you do to it there will be a spot in a comp for it lol. As far as rules go Id say swing by a few local comps and pay attention to EVERYTHING you can possible. Bug the heck out of people BUG not annoy lol. Every wheres a little different and going to comps even with out a rig will set you in the right track as to what you may need any mods to do the little tweeks and so on. Its a learninng hobby and when you think youve learned it all ither sell everything an get out or open your eyes back up.

Im a newbie also and I lerk on here reading till I fall asleep and every other chance I get and can still say Im a newbie and still need to learn ALOT more.
Welcome to the site and Id recomend reading and searching before asking. Ive noticed you get better feed back if you dont ask something thats 3 threads down from you
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hi, welcome to RCC!

In my opinion, the Axial AX-10 will be the best RTR for the beginner. Parts are usualy found easily, parts are inexpensive while being tough. And the parts support for the AX-10 is immense!

1.9 and 2.2 refer to the wheel or Rim diameter. they are two different classes. 1.9 is 1/16-1/18 scale and offers no dig. the 1.9 class is fairly new so not many people run 1.9s, and not many comps get held for 1.9. 2.2 is 1/10 and allows the use of dig, but the class it self is pretty old, so many people on RCC run 2.2 crawlers.

Yes, the Losi night crawler is a very capabile crawler out of the box. actualy better than the AX-10. But the part support does not even hold up to the AX-10s aftermarket. its almost like a joke, but i must say that the after market support slowly grows for the Losi crawlers.
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The most popular class is the 2.2 class. You can run a shaft driven rig or run a MOA rig. Every area runs this rigs. But my favorite and what got me started in crawling was the Super class . The only problem with the Super class is that not all areas run supers, so you could be the only one. I was the only one with a super for the first year, then more started showing up.

If you are wanting to go with a bigger rig I would suggest building a Super. You will find tons of info in the Super section, but I do not recommend just buying a cheepo pre-built super. If you want to do it right the first time then find the parts that you would like to run and then build it.

As for price and ease, I would suggest the 2.2 class. I hope this helps a little. If you have questions about Supers, you can PM me and I will help you out the best I can.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote