Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Battery question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #1

Smile Battery question

Hi I'm new to the electric Rc crawlers and I'm starting with an axial ax10 I have been upgrading this rig and am stuck on the next thing on my list. Battery and charger and connectors pls help what should I go with I would like the best bettery I can get for somewhat cheap I'm just learning on this rig so if u have any ideas let me know thanks : )
Crazyrctoon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It's always good to hear about another new crawler fanatic! Depending on if you have a low CG battery/servo plate most people just mount it on that.

You would mount a small lipo 800-1600mah 3S on the left side of the servo where the velcro strap holds it in place.

Some people just cut out a small triangular piece of lexan and zip tie it to the upper links on the front of the rig. Or you can just use velcros straps and tie it to the upper links.

If running lipos you need an ESC compatible of lipo cut off...most people run Castle Sidewinder, Tekin FXR, Novak Goat, Castle Creations Mamba Max, and Holmes Hobbies BRXL. Make sure your ESC has a programmable drag brake and you'd probably want a strong servo at least 300oz of torque with a Castle Creations BEC.

All these ESC's can handle at least 3S. I favor the Sidewinder due to the cheap pricing, but I also have a Holmes BRXL on the way.

http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php?cat=2
John Holmes is the owner and a great seller to deal with!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Look at Dean's or Traxxas connecters. Both are good quality and can handle the lipo's. Keep searching for battery packs. I've seen plenty of people on here with $10 packs. You can't beat a $10 lipo. I haven't done any charger research in some time, but seeing post on here a lot of people have had success and good luck running $50-60 chargers. http://www.modelrec.com/search/produ...w.asp?ID=11405 This charger will give you an idea of what to look for. Just make sure if you run lipo's that the charger has a balancer built in or included.
Happy crawling!
Flexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #4

ty alexchen86 and flexx for the replys. i do have a tekin fxr esc just got it but i dont have a 300oz servo that i know of lol so should i wait to get one before getting a battery pack?
Crazyrctoon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would change out the battery location first. Seeing that you have an FXR and lipo compatiblity you should be able to strap the small lipo on the front upper links to keep the nose of your rig down.

If you are still running the stock servo that's fine until it strips or burns out. But once you upgrade to a decent comp crawler servo make sure you run an external BEC.

TowerPro servos are decently priced. Sort of generic Hitec servos...the one on my scaler rig weighing in at 11 pounds hasn't crapped out on me yet...
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote