Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First crawler dilema.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Default First crawler dilema.

SO heres the situation. I have always been massively interested in RC but never had the funds. Now I do and would like to sample Crawling. First step which Crawler!

The main problem is...for roughly the same price I can pick up either a 1/24 Losi Micro Crawler (RTR) or a 1/10 HSP Pangolin Crawler (RTR).

So which do you think would be a better crawler for a first timer? I understand that the Micro is limited to Micro terrain but hop-ups would be cheaper, and vice versa for the HSP.

Which do you think would provide the most fun?

Here is a link to the HSP, I am sure everyone is familiar with the LOSI Micro.
http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/Item...%204WD%20TRUCK
suju89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I would choose 3 - none of the above.

I waited and watched the for sale sections of all the RC forums I could find until a deal came up on a used AX10.

I paid less than what the HSP crawler sells for and got twice the truck, then modified it by buying/trading used parts that others had "moved beyond" in their quest for a perfect truck.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Im with mud puppy. I wouldnt suggest either of them. I personally would wait and save a little extra for a RTC Axial or Losi Night crawler if you are looking for a crawler or a Honcho/scx10 if your looking for some trail driving and mild rocks. I would stay clear of the off brands like that and stick with axial, hpi, losi etc.. No to the knock offs. They are cheap for a reason.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Wow... a Used AX10 for $160 including shipping to Australia!

Unfortunately I have found no such beast. Thank you for your input.

(I need at least 23 more posts before I can view this forums classifieds anyway)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

or spend the $20 and get a star and see it now Trust me it's well worth it and that $20 will pay for itself with the deal you'll find as well as all the great info you get from this site.

I'm with the other 2 and out of Losi and Axial....I say Axial all the way. Losi is great but they require alot more maintenence
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Depends on what you want. I run Micro Crawlers, so thats what I'd spend the $$ on (because I already have).
You need to ask yourself what you want out of the hobby. I love running a Micro outside on the rock pile I've collected. Some guys build indoor courses out of plaster & foam. Some guys want to go out & crawl over a 3' tall boulder- in which case you'll need a larger scale crawler. I'm a 1/24 scale modeller, so I easily work w/ the small scale crawler (some guys can't do that, so bigger scales are better suited for them).

There are some great deals on here in the classifieds, but you're gonna have to sit there & WATCH. Killer deals last minutes here, good deals marginally longer.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Based on the terrain i will most frequently have available i am going to go for the Losi Micro Crawler.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #8

If you do get the micro just keep in mind that it's just that, a micro. I chose that as my intro to the RC crawling sickness aswell and as long as you don't have the expectations of it have the same ability as a 1/10 sce crawler would then you wont be disappointed. I live in an apartment and the micro works out perfect for foul weather days stuck indoors.
haratank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Scale Detail Engineering

Yup, are you an outside or inside kind of person? I have both micro and full size. Most of the winter I moded and ran the micro but I'm sorta loosing interest. I can't wait for the thaw so I can get back outside.

I wanted to get my nephew into crawling and wasn't sure what he'd like. I ended up building him a Losi Mini Crawler. Big enough for the outdoors and small enough for indoors plus all the options out there... I've been thinking about building myself one.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hsp, losi, micro