Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Supply list for the newbie brazer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Supply list for the newbie brazer?

So recently ive gotten back in rc w/ a blade cp pro 2 and i instantly broke out my scaler, buiilt another out of spare parts and built a CC01 cause what scale inthusiast hasnt wanted to build a cc01?

Now i want to build an exocage for the newly built cherokee(x-trail,lcc axles, axial trans w/ high gearing but its still wicked slow).

So for the newbie brazer, what does one need?

from A to Z every tool and clamp and brazing rod aswell as places to get supplies. I know SS brakeline is used alot for brazing but can it hold up to being an entire tube frame or rock slider?

thanks in advance
Matt
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default oi

well, i'm a n00b myself, but just started brazing a few days ago—with success!

all i can say is HARRIS SAFETY SILV. stuff does the work for you basically.

uhhh.
i use:
—harris safety silv 56 brazing rod/wire (1/16" dia.)
—harris stay silv brazing flux
—big ol bernzomatic mapp gas rated torch. (too big but works just fine)
—mapp gas.
—99% sure you can use propane... just takes longer cuz it doesn't burn as hot.
—something to braze ON (i live in an apartment, so i just have a big piece of plate steel (don't get the flux on the plate steel and nothing will stick to it)
—i use magnets to hold my stuff in place
—brakeline... etc... you already know this...
—wire brush to scrub the brazed joint (i don't use this, haha)

i'm only 22... little experience welding and cutting with oxy/acetylene... never brazed before... i started out trying to braze aluminum with aluminum brazing rods.... i had a little succes... but it was just a pain in the a$$... so... compared to that, brazing steel is a piece of cake, especially with the right products. I got my harris stuff from AIRGAS in OHIO.

i made a stinger bumper for my newbright TJ... and i was using it to push myself up onto overhangs... mine hasn't dented yet or anything... and it's kept my jeep from flipping over as it should... no problems. i still need to paint it though. I'd say the brakeline (3/16") holds up VERY well. plus, when you cut it to size it doesn't bend as easily as you'd think.

OH YEAH. TUBE BENDER.
i would get one specifically for this kind of stuff... but if you're cheap like me and want to destroy your fingers, go to hobby lobby or a crafts store and buy a K&S spring tube bender. it keeps the line from folding. i just pinned it against some bike handlebars... or dowel rod or something... not the best... but it WORKS and it's only 3 dollars for like, 5 different size springs.

LINKS:
—tube bender i used
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/ho...ing-bender-kit
via hobby lobby

—harris stuff i used
http://static.zoovy.com/img/gssstore...1593_v_2_1.jpg
via AIRGAS

—mapp gas and torch i used
http://jpowell.blogs.com/photos/unca.../23/gas_it.jpg
via LOWES

spoonfed. goodluck. don't burn your place down. keep a window open. don't put your weiner into other guy's buttholes.
saltinemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

another thing (sorry)

the harris safety silv kit was around 30 bucks. the flux lasts forever, but the rod/wire goes pretty quickly. just a heads up. and i'm pretty sure you didn't get any quick responses because you probably didn't search. people on here get really pissed off about that. I didn't ask anyone, i did a lot of searching and reading, but i know what it's like to be in your boots, wishing someone would just tell me. so there ya go
saltinemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
RCC Addict

He pretty well covered it. I wouldn't try propane, stick to MAPP. Start with reg steel brakeline and rod before trying stainless and make sure to clean the area to be brazed well with a wire brush, files etc.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

thanks a million. awesome response, just what i was looking for
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazing, cage, scaler, tuber, welding