Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New, need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Default New, need advice

Hello, i am brand new to the rc world, i do own a real jeep though. I would like advice on what rc to buy. I know it would be better to build my own but since i am new i would rather buy a rtr rc. I am on a budget of about $300. I know there are plenty options out there as i have been searching for the right one for quite some time, but since i am new i have no idea what one would be best. Any advice would be much appreciated.
redheadedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would say anything from Axial. Axial has alot of part's, and there is a ton of aftermarket support for them. I personally have never owned any rtr rigs from them, but have built 2 kit's and have had a blast with them. You can also find some killer deals on some crawler's in the for sale section that guy's have built and decided to go another direction.
sdmf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Here you go. It has a huge aftermarket support and also a great crawler

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAKLT&P=ML
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

Yah i was thinking of going with something from axial.
do you guys know anything about the axial scx10?
http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/scx10-tr/index.html
i like the looks of this.
Probably a stupid question, but, how easy would it be to switch to a different body on the scx10 or the ax10?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Do want a dedicated rock crawler or a scaler, closer to your real jeep?

It seems intimidating to build a kit, there's so many options and so much info... but really it's not that bad. The best part is you get to know your rig, which really helps when it breaks... because it will break
And, in the long run you save money. Everyone that buys a rtr eventually upgrades the electronics, tires and suspension... not much left of the origional rtr.

You can also buy a star, support the site and gain access to the for sale section. You may get a newish rtr cheaper than new, maybe not, but what you can find for sure is a used upgraded rig for the price of a new rtr.

First decide if you want to go fast or slow
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

ahh, you answerd my question whil I was typing.
The scx10 is a great starting point. It can crawl pretty good with a high turn motor and can tear it up with a low turn motor.

Lot's of mods available and if you really think you made the wrong choice, you can use the axles on a ax 10 chassis and sell the rest.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

yah, i would love to buy a kit and build my own but i dont want to start that and end up not knowing what to do. Id rather have more of a scaler, i think they are pretty cool looking.
Most of the time i will be using this will be in my backyard when i cant go in out in my jeep, so i dont think i will be wanting to customize too much for awhile, unless it is really addicting, then i will probably go for a kit and get serious with it
and what is a "star"?
btw this is great advice, thank you
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Scale Detail Engineering

star: CLASSIFIEDS - A How To Guide

It is super addicting man... you can't stop
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

alright thanks
and im sure i will get addicted, but oh well, it looks really fun haha.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

I'd go with a Honcho, or the SCX-10 kit from Axial and put your own electronics in....pretty simple actually and there is plenty of help here. Swapping out bodies isn't too difficult, and you can make it just like your full size Jeep. Check out the SCX-10 section for more info.

Welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #11

Default Hey

Also I'm new to scale rc I had a traxxas revo 3.3 before getting my scx10 dingo tr I love it! I play with it indoors and outside. I'm impressed with the stock electronics in it. Also everything is stock. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.
xRumblex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

i think im going to go with the scx-10, i would go with the kit but id rather get th TR version and mess around with that to get use to all the rc stuff
ive been looking for a wrangler body, and the only ones i can find are the ones that come on the hpi crawler king, is there anywhere i can get a good wrangler body? I know they make real good looking comanches and cherokees, but i cant find a wrangler
and C*H*U*D, the honchos are cool and all but they look too much like a toyota
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Good choice going with the scx10. I got one and I love that thing. The rtr is a good starting rig and wen ever you're bored you can take it appart and upgrade the stock 3 link to a 4 link. Its easy and it comes with spare parts so you can do it without having to buy anything but I would suggest getting the aluminum liks set. You'll learn along the way, I sure did lol
rod-211 is offline   Reply With Quote