Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #1

Default what crawler?

I don't know what to buy as in a crawler already got a scaler but after seeing my mates venom creepr at one of our night runs im tempted to get a crawler?

my scaler used to be a crawler but i enjoy scaling,

help me with what to buy, thinking of the creepr and then doing the CVD mod to it just so i have sumthing to bash but idn, i want sumthing that can go anywere.

please help, creepr or what???

thanks
squirt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I dont know much about the creeper, but the fact that I have never seen anyone actually crawling with one in my area and the fact that they do not have a large aftermarket following makes me have no interest in one. If you want a crawler that can go anywhere your best bet is a Losi or Axial. The losi nnightcrawler is a better crawler out of the box but it is slow with the worm gears and always will be no matter what motor you put in it. The losi comp crawler is better than the night crawler but is just roller with no electronics. The axial has the most aftermarket and is the most popular by far. The ready to run axial needs a fair amount of upgrades to "go anywhere". But it can be built up and made worthy.
I run a axial AX10 that is fully built in competition and do ok with it sometimes.

So, the short version. Bag the venom and get a Axial AX10, or Losi nightcrawler.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #3

ok thanks for your input, had an ax10 but it was then converted into my scaler because axial have the best diffs etcetc,

interesting that losi uses worm drive, hmm that is an idea, maybe ill just buy some more diffs and links and motor gear and build up an ax10 from the ground up.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Building it from the ground up is the best way to do it. My first ax10 was a kit and the 2 after that were custom built
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Is the Night Crawler essentially the same as the Comp Crawler, but RTR and with lights or are there other differences?
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRiver View Post
Is the Night Crawler essentially the same as the Comp Crawler, but RTR and with lights or are there other differences?
No, the Comp crawler has upgraded items like shocks, links, and Dig transmission. Then you add electronics. It is a better choice for serouse crawling or comp crawling.

The nightcrawler is pretty good out of the box. The worm gears work well but the losi crawlers are slow, even on 3S with a brushless system their wheel speed is limited. But their smooth low end torque works well and they climb very well.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

oh ok thanks for the input, i am still thinking bout the creeper because they are fairly cheap, bout 170 AUD posted to my door, and then just do the CVD mod, i like the idea of losi's worm drive, but i want sumthing a bit faster than my scaler, hmmmm, still deciding, can sumone who owns a creeper and a losi tell me exactly what you think etc? i know that the pins on the cvd have a temper to fall out, but this can be fixed with shrinkwrap and metal, havent heard much about losi's worm drive, is it 2.2 comp ready etc? or should i start thinking about the comp roller from losi or a BND???

any more input would be much appreciated
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

EDIT:

Also anyone own an xr10? is this classified as a crawler or what???