Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie dual motor question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

Default Newbie dual motor question.

I'm looking for a new ESC for my Clod, and the vast majority of ESCs specs or documentation never mention dual motors. Even some of the ESCs mentioned here in the forums usually don't mention dual motors support in their specs.

I'm trying not to over think this (I am an EE though) and I was wondering how to tell which ESCs would be OK for running dual motors.

I understand that the higher the turns on the motor, the less amps you are going to draw, and its the amps that are going to harm the ESC.

Is there any rule of thumb to equate the turns of 2 motors to that of a single, so ESC comparison can be done?

I'm thinking of building a back yard basher that can do some light crawling, but I think I prefer it on the speeder side. I was thinking of maybe something in the 21 to 35 turn motors.

Thanks.
prioret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

As an EE, I think you would understand that if an ESC is rated for a "max of 7 turns", then you can run a single 7 turn motor or 2 14 turn motors in parallel.
Equates to the same load on the ESC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I got the super rooster reversible esc it has no motor limit when running single and I believe down to 8t when wiring dual motors in parrallel.... Also can handle upto 10 cells
Something like that u can look at the spec chart on the teamnovak website but it's a really good esc

Last edited by Macmanthizz; 03-10-2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Add to it
Macmanthizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Speed Controls are rarely just double the limit. They typically have a power handling max. One 7t is not equal to two 14t......

A good 19t in racing makes around 175 watts, while a 9t or a 10t will make around will make less than 300....two 19t will make 350 watts of power and more than likely toast the speed control...

Crawler motors are easily ran in pairs on most speedos because typically even the best 35t will be under 100 watts.....so two will be pulling roughly the same as a good 19t motor.....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
As an EE, I think you would understand that if an ESC is rated for a "max of 7 turns", then you can run a single 7 turn motor or 2 14 turn motors in parallel.
Equates to the same load on the ESC.
As an EE I understand that many things follow exponential curves, not linear ones. Especially those that deal with magnetism and electricity.
prioret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I cant chime in on the tech talk but I can say I've used 2 21 turn 550s on 3cell lipo with the mamba max pro. It never got hot and was plenty fast enough using an emaxx tranny. I also ran 4 55s once with 2 emaxx trannys. No problems with the esc but that setup was impractical. I was building an 8x8 but couldn't get the wb I needed. It would crawl like a caterpillar though.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

with the super rooster, novak specs for it are no single limit but dual 15t in parrellel. on my SR in my clod i run two 13t on 7 cells its get warm but not hot but on 3s lipo it will get hot in just a few minutes. so if you stay in your range of 21-35 you will be fine up to 10cells nimh/nicd
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

I used to run a Novak EVX in my Clod they come already set up for dual motors and batteries
440_Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote