Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need Help Starting A Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Need Help Starting A Build

I got an EMAXX for myself for Xmas this year. Now I want to build a Clod based crawler. Of course, the wife isn't going to let me spend the money right now to buy the parts so I can start experimenting with the build. So, my dreams of building a crawler are limited to TurboCAD drawings. I am thinking that my first chassis will be a basic inverted triangle type chassis that I have seen alot of pictures of. I'm thinking of a 50-50 14"-15" wheelbase. I am shooting for a center ground clearance of 5" to 5-1/2". For the time being, I am planing on using Traxxas electronics. Can someone please post some basic dimensions for the following:

1. How wide is a typical chassis?
2. What is the length of a Clod axle without tires? (I am planning on using MAXX style tires for my mock-ups and considered using a wooden dowel untill I get my Clod stuff)
3. What is a general idea of how high most people build the chassis?

I hope you can see what I am trying to accomplish here. Playing with cardboard and straws untill I get enough cash to start building the real thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1. on a clod the chassis can be any width because you are not limited by a Tranny. The Vertical Smile Chassis is 3" wide. Worked well for Destroy on the Testing. I have one left for $40 and can help you out on the 4 links. PM me for details.
2. I will check when I go home. If no one else chimes in I'll post up for you.
3. From what I've read on hear a good height is any where between 3 to 5 inches. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a set of axles on ebay at the moment for $51.00 if youre lucky you will be able to get them for around $80. But there is 2 days 9 hours left on them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-Clodbuste...QQcmdZViewItem
I kept watching ebay and was able to get mine for $75. If I were you I would try to keep an eye out on ebay and on here for axles and get them when you find a good deal. There are also someother sites to look through. If I see any I'll let you know.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the quick response! I'm killing time here at the office on Good Friday not wanting to be here. Its finally nice in Cincy and I would rather be out tearing my EMAXX up. I like the Vertical Smile, but I also like the idea of the torture that designing and building one myself from scratch might entail. I'll you know though.
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Not saying to buy my chassis (just putting it out there).
Since you are trying to build on a budget (as most) and are dead set on cutting and sanding your own. Not sure what tools you have available.
Just start sketching out designs for a look that you want then make the template, I printed mine out on a 8.5X11 sheet of paper and copied it to the aluminum to make the test chassis'. Also think about how long you want your 4 links to run and design around that. As I said before the clod is forgiving in what chassis you use.
If you really want to torture yourself make a tuber. Not only is it a challenge but it's verry rewarding when you get your first brazes togeather and it looks like something you designed. particularly if you like to try and fab stuff. It will be a little more expensive but fun none the less.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Clod axles are about 10.5" long